“Desert for one day”

Sahara Travels Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For over 23 years Sahara Travels has been providing reputable camel safaris in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. It was founded by former Mr. Desert, L.N. Bissa, and continues to be family owned and operated.
Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Desert for one day”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Sahara travel really offers a great deal: good value for money, off-the-beaten track as much as it can get in Jaiselmer (desert, dunes, camping without anyone in sight), very reliable and friendly staff, flexible offers (we did not want to stay in the desert overnight and did not want to go on the camel but by foot which was perfectly fine), feshly cooked excellent food... Something very hard to find in Jaisalmer! We had a wonderful day!!!

1 Thank SonjaB1704

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Thanks Aniket”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The original owner was a well-known local going by the name of Mr. Desert, and when I booked a tour with the company I found that he had recently passed away. His son Aniket is managing the business and despite his young age he is doing fantastic work. Everything was very straightforward and clear from the beginning. No hidden costs or no fake marketing schemes. You are getting the price's worth. Aniket was very professional and he tried to help me with my trip other than the safari too. He seemed like a very nice person and very responsible.
I went on the safari with a group of five and it was a great fun with the camels. Everyone gets his/her own camel, and I can say that the Sahara camels are very well taken care of and well-trained. You should ask for Dadiya as your camel guide if you can. He's the best camel man I ever met and the food was great. There was three different kinds of curries and chapati and rice for dinner, and next morning plenty of boiled eggs, toast, jam, and bananas. If you need coffee bring your own, as they only have chai. It's worth going at least one night. The dunes are quite private and you'll see beautiful sunset, and at night sleep under the milky way. Thanks Aniket!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Noora K
Brooklyn
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great time with Sahara Travels”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We did some research with the plethora of Desert Safari trips available in Jaisalmer, and chose Sahara Travels after hearing good things about them and witnessing the non-hard sell of the owner. From our past experience, those people who don't have to sell their product usually offer the best product. Every other camel safari we talked to tried to push the trip on us.

We chose the dinner safari trip (not overnight), and headed out in the early afternoon. After a stop in a deserted city, we boarded our camels and rode for about an hour. Honestly, 15 minutes would've probably been enough.

The camel ride was mostly through bushy desert -- not desert sand dunes. However, the ride finishes in a desolate area with beautiful sand dunes. We had about an hour there until it got dark (it was winter so early sunset). Our tour group was the only group at the dunes (8 of us), so there was definitely some privacy. Nothing beats sitting on a dune and watching the sun set (and the sunsets in the desert are beautiful). Make sure you ask for beer when booking your trip and they'll bring beer for you along with them -- a beer in hand was great for the sunset.

Afterwards, we eat a group dinner prepared in the desert, around a campfire, and exchanged traveler stories. We were then driven back to Jaisalmer.

One last thing, and this is very important -- ask the owner where to find the best lassi in Jaisalmer. There are imitators, but only one place makes the real deal, and he'll tell you all about it.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Arthurkog
Canberra
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Exactly what they promise”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I highly recommend Sahara Travels Day Tours. When you book it, they promise a simple camel safari without frills and that's exactly what you get. A couple of hours on the camel, then a delicious dinner and camping under the stars. They provide all food, water and blankets. I wasn't cold at all. Add in some great company and it's perfect.

The guides were also very helpful the next day, looking after our bags while we explored the town and recommending fun places to visit and eat.

This is definitely the tour to go with.

2 Thank Nat299
Mumbai (Bombay), India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Terrible experience without saying a word!!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I reached Jaisalmer on 24th December and was searching for some dessert tour package outside the fort gate. I was bit attracted towards Sahara travels hoarding, where it mentioned that they are recommended by lonely planet. When I entered in the office some guy was talking to two foreign tourists, and as soon as he saw me he said in a rude voice "I am talking to these two guys". I was shocked by his behavior, it seemed he was only interested in foreign tourists rather than Indians.
My observation: if you are an Indian, you will be ignored and If you are a non Indian, then they are nice coz of money in your pocket.

10 Thank lionking918