Though check-in was around 3PM, we arrived early around mid-day. We were greeted by the man who we later found out, runs the place. We were shown to our tent and asked if we'd had any lunch yet.
We hadn't had lunch and they weren't ready for us so early. So, they said they'd see if they could cook something up for us. My wife and I were finally inside our tent and it was quite hot out so we appreciated the shade.
Upon entering our tent however, we realized that we were in for a treat. The room was very clean, had a nice comfy bed and air-conditioning. We were just settling in when a member of the staff was at the entrance to our tent. He was carrying a tray with Rice, roti and 4 different curries. I exclaimed "I thought you didn't have food ready"? He replied "Sorry, this is all we could prepare on such short notice".
Needless to say I was taken aback and the food turned out to be some of the most delicious food I've eaten in Rajasthan. Over the duration of spend at the Winds Desert camp, this is what I came to realize.
- There are only about 3-4 people who run the place.
- They will bend over backwards to make you comfortable and happy.
- They will feed you so much delicious food that you'll feel like you are at your grandma's house.
- The staff has a genuine caring attitude which leaves us tourists in good spirits.
- The performances at night by the Rajasthani folk singers and dancers is very entertaining.
- The camel safari is heaps of fun but it gets quite crowded at sunset.
- Not to conform to cliche but they are an Oasis in the desert.
Overall I left feeling as if I was leaving a family run b&b where I would miss the characters and food. I would definitely recommend Winds to couples or big groups. It has the advantage of being far away from the resort style 100 tent setups that we drove past.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winds Desert Camp introduces a desert camp near sand dunes. Camp has vast experience of organizing all travel needs. The company is having professional and skilled team expert in camping. We can provide maximum luxury in minimum expenses. Winds Desert Camp has beautifully and elegantly decorated tents covering 14x14 center room, 14x7 Vernadah 14x7 attached bathroom with all modern amenities, open air restaurant. Camp location is 40 KM. from Jaisalmer at Sam. We organize specializing exclusive deluxe camel safaris & camping anywhere in the desert of Rajasthan. The base camp is 42 Kms. from Jaisalmer near Sam village where you can enjoy our special desert dream package. Package includes night stay, camel safari, traditional welcome, refreshment, Folk music & dance, campfire, dinner & breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HostelWorld and Agoda so you can book your Winds Desert Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.