“Empty and Expensive”
Review of Gorbandh Palace

Gorbandh Palace
Ranked #31 of 108 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during low season, so I was expecting it to be pretty quiet, but with 83 rooms we were the only guests! We stayed here for three days and it was pretty creepy. The hotel felt so empty and had no atmosphere at all. The restaurant was very expensive, as was the train station pick up.

There seemed to be a silly amount of staff for just two guests, and we were constantly being followed and watched by the staff who had nothing to do. This made trying to relax by the pool pretty impossible. The staff made us feel pretty uncomfortable. The receptionist was quite rude, and even read my customer feedback form in front of me and asked me why I was dissatisfied with something (Online it says guests receive a welcome drink, we did not - there was no appology), I was asked about everything I had rated less than 5/5.

Though the hotel looked lovely, it was boring and had no character. The pool, lovely to look at, was filthy. In the shallow end you could not see your feet because the water was so cloudy and the water just felt horrible on the skin. Our room was pretty small but had a nice view. Air con was good, though the fan made a terrible clicking noise the whole time.

DO NOT STAY HERE DURING LOW SEASON.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank D_E_ROB21
HRHhotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gorbandh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear D_E_ROB21,

Warm regards from Gorbandh Palace.

We appreciate your taking time to write down your experiences during your stay at the hotel.

Yes the period you visited Jaisalmer is low with tourist movement in the region and hence you found the hotels and the complex unfilled.
A sincere note of your views on the staff and the approach has been made and necessary corrective actions have been initiated, We thank you once again and look forward to having your with your in the winters.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

I had gone with 9 girlfriends to attend the desert festival and stayed 3 nights at Gorbandh. The Sales Manager was very prompt and helpful in solving my multiple pre-booking queries and that is what made me sure of great service.

The Hotel has sprawling lawns, an awesome swimming pool and a fab lobby. Rooms are nice and very clean with all basic amenities that are a must for travellers. I loved the food at Gorbandh and must say that their Rajasthani fare is a must try. Slightly pricy but the taste, comfort and service makes up for the price.

They also had a wonderful cultural evening all the nights that we stayed, which was a bonus. I found the breakfast lack luster. But Have to give 100 points for the helpfulness of the staff. On our last day, we checked-out very early (5:00 a.m.) and as per our request we were given wonderfully packed sandwiches, fruit, juice and paranthas. They generally do not pack but since we requested and they realised jaisalmer to jaipur is a long way, they were kind enough to make sure they met out request. The GM himself requires a special mention for always being around and guiding us about things to do and inquiring if our stay was comfortable.

All in all the property is beautiful, the staff very helpful and the hotel has the greatest locations is jaisalmer. So I would definitely recommend Gorbandh Palace for a stay in jaisalmer!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank anuroopabanerjee
HRHhotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gorbandh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear anuroopabanerjee,

Greetings from Gorbandh Palace.

It a pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us and you enjoyed your time at our historic Palace.

Thank you so much for taking out the time and sharing your much valuable and descriptive feedback. We would also like to thank you for sharing pictures with us and appreciating our efforts and service. Your feedback helps us in knowing we are the right path of serving our guests.

We do look forward to welcoming you soon at our hotels and create another memorable journey for you.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I had read some very good reviews prior to booking this hotel. I must admit that this property has a potential to do so much better but sadly most things about this place are average. The restaurant charges astronomical prices for food. Breakfast is so basic. The bar and the pool are saving graces. It was clean enough. There are several other hotels on the same road which offer better value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Urjit S

Dear Urjit S,

Greetings from Gorbandh Palace.

Thank you so much taking out your time and writing a review for us.
We look forward to welcoming you back at our palace and creating yet another memorable journey for you

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed at the Pleasant Haveli Inn for the first two nights of our stay and were recommended to spend the last night at this hotel by our tour rep.

On first appearance this hotel was beautiful to look at and was very fancy. But straight away we were hit by the impersonal service and the tip hungry staff.

Our room was pleasant and reminded me of a 4 star city hotel in terms of small cramped with the necessary furniture but comfortable. We opted to have lunch at the hotel which was nice enough and consisted of a veg club sandwich and fries on the side. We then visited Lake Gadisar for our final sunset before returning to the hotel during which we ate nothing other than sipping at bottled water. On returning to the hotel, we also had dinner and ordered a soup as well as a mixed grill and a biriyani. On eating the grilled masala fish, I had noted it was cold and suspected it hadnt been cooked through properly. Within half an hour i had to rush to the loo which is my usual reaction when something does not agree with me.

The hotel had put on entertainment which was nice but I felt sorry for the entertainers as there were only 5-10 guests watching and it was very cold!

The breakfast was adequate but I had nicer breakfasts at the 2 other HRH hotels we stayed at. I should add that by now my husband and I were both suffering tummy upset which could only have come from the over-priced meal we ate at the hotel.

Upon checking out, I mentioned to the receptionist that I suspected the mixed grill had not been cooked properly upon which phonecalls were made and our checkout delayed by 10 mins only for our food bill to be reduced by 100 rupees which was frankly insulting to me and not to mention I had not been after a discount, I only wanted to mention the food was not cooked properly. This sadly left a sour taste in my mouth and made us realise that sometimes the 3 star option is better than the alleged 5 star option of this hotel.

Stay here if you like all things fancy and prefer impersonal service which sometimes can be the preferred option.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fatface99

Dear fatface99,

Greetings from Gorbandh Palace.

Thank you for taking out your time and writing a review about us and are glad you liked the hotel’s breakfast.

We have noted your comment regarding food and will attend to concerns raised by you.
Despite of your feedback, we would still like to see soon again at our hotel and create a wonderful time for you.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Nice hotel - but big and impersonal and not so much of the palace was visible. Our bathroom was very smelly inspite of being recleaned it had a plumbing problem - they did offer to change rooms but we had unpacked by thsi stage and couldn't be bothered. Nice pool, average breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank nzsuze

Dear nzsuze,

Greetings from Gorbandh Palace.

Thank you so much taking out your time and writing a review for us. Thank you for your kind words and we are glad you enjoyed your time here.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

the hotel is great but for a hotel with many rooms available they gave me a room with a non working airconditioner and a window facing garbage. i had to change rooms in the middle of the night because i just couldn't sleep as the airconditioner was so loud and was blowing hot air. also the window could not shut and this was in the ground floor. so make sure you get a good room.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank NYRUNNING

Dear NYRUNNING,

Greetings from Gorbandh Palace.

Thank you for taking out your time and writing a review about us and sharing your experience with us. We will definitely look into the same and ensure such an experience is not repeated with discerning guests.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 11, 2012

The hotel is part of the HRH hotels which boasts of luxury stays. We took a Deluxe room and a Suite to stay. The suite is really specious and well facilitated. I would highly recommend staying in it if you want to feel the Royalty of Rajesthan. We just stayed for a day here so couldn't enjoy the facility of the place much. Has a fair sized pool and a nice garden where you can enjoy the cool wind in the outdoor. It is a few minutes away from the main town rush which I prefer.
More details about the place:
The entry is nice, has a small park with a fountain (which was not working at that time). We spent some time photographing around with kids.
The suite room is very specious, has all basic facilities, tea, coffee, kettle, 2 washrooms, 2 televisions, although the entrance is small.
Deluxe room was much smaller (if comparing with suite off-course) but has a very nice balcony at the back to enjoy coffee.
Food:
Restaurant has decent collection of food, the price is a little on higher side but manageable. Buffet breakfast had 'ok' collection of variety.
Service & staff is polite and prompt. We asked for extra tea/coffee/water a number of times and they obliged us every time.
Cultural:
We reached there on Holi. They have had a holi celebration in the morning and also had a small cultural program in the evening. There was singing and dancing. The lady danced on sword and glass with an array of pot on her head !!
Over all a very nice experience , recommended !!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
HRHhotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gorbandh Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Dear ujjwalkundra,

Greetings from Gorbandh Palace.

Thankyou so much taking out your time and writing a descriptive review for us.

It is a pleasure to know that you had a comfortable stay with us and enjoyed your time at our historic palace.

With our aim to protect, promote and restore our rich historic cultural heritage, this goes a long way in ensuring us that we are on the right path.