See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Hello Trip Advisor I am lokendra From Delhi. I stayed This hotel with my friend. and this hotel accomodation is very nice and hotel staf is a super. and the hotel service is a marvolous. and i suggest to my all friend whole of the word please one time visit this hotel pls dont forget.....!!! Ambience Home Away From Home (Hotel Rose Villa)... <3

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank lokendravyas52
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We chose this hotel as it was comparitively better priced. We arrived early in the morning around 6:00 AM and were pleased that they gave us our rooms instantly even though the check in time was around 10:00 AM only to find that they were charging extra Rs 500 for the early check in. This literally shocked us as we were the only occupants in the hotel and the rooms were lying vaccant. So they were not losing on anything by letting us in early. Also they do not provide pick up facility unlike other hotels.
All this said, what is most pathetic is their sense of service. First you would not be able to find anyone in the reception after 7 in the evening and there is no bell in the room to call the room boy; infact I doubt if there is any room boy. everytinme wee needed something we had to knock the door of the room, where the couple running the hotel stayed. This was not comfortable for us and we thought we would better help ourselves. THey did not even bother to provided driking water in our room and when we highlighted this to them they said we should have asked for the same. Are we supposed to ask even for such a basic thing as water or they should instead ask us. Moreover you would not have anyone around to ask things to them. It was as if we were living in a Dharamshala.
Then when we checked out they said they would arrange an autorickshaw for us and it would take around rs 25-30. But later the auto charged RS60 from us. I dont mind paying that amount but all I want is honesty from the Hotel folks.
I would never recomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank aru_infy
Reviewed January 30, 2011

To start with, a decent hotel in the city. Clean, Decorated, Friendly atmosphere. A good deal for the money spent on hotel.

Just a word of caution for booking any city tour or bus tickets with them, you may end up spending upto 50% more....instead just move out and talk to few other agents and do good bargaining....
Do not take hotel suggested auto taxi ride tour for the city, city is too small and walkable, if you take the hotel suggested auto tour you may spend Rs 350/- where you could have walked down or taken point to point auto taxi not more than Rs 150/- in all.
If you have to book any bus, directly goto bus stop and get the tickets, hotel will book it for you for 50% extra...bus ticket jaisalmer to jodhpur Rs 140/-, hotel will charge Rs 200/-
If you have to goto Som(desert area), try exploring options outside the hotel, you may save upto Rs 400/-.
To end up, hotel is good to stay but do not do any extra deals with them....rule in jaisalamer bargain hard....

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank EuroTravellorFinland
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We are a group of 4 Australians (young professional, early to mid 30s) who stayed at Hotel Rose Villa in the lead-up to The Rickshaw Run. Joshi and his wife Ujula provided us with the legendary Indian hospitality while we stayed with them for 4 days and took us under their wing while we were guests in their house. We were welcomed from the moment we arrived and immediately Joshi offered us his mobile number along with a promise to assist us at anytime we were in Jaisalmer, and indeed India. During the Rickshaw Run we called on Joshi for his help with translation matters and he happily obliged. If you are looking for an International 5-star hotel then this is not the place for you but if you want a warm homely space where you will always feel secure and welcome then we recommend this place. The rooms are clean and contrary to certain reviews, if you ask for the room to be cleaned each day, it will be done. Again this is not an International Hotel, it is a guest house. If barking dogs annoy you, then don't visit Jaisalmer as friends of ours staying in the Jalwal Niwas Palace heard the dogs barking every night. That is part of India....
We had hot water daily. The hotel has a wood boiler on the roof and if the hot water does get used up (rare unless the hotel is full and you shower at 10am) the staff will happily stoke the fire and hot water is 10min away. They had wireless internet for free and a nice rooftop area where you can enjoy a drink (beers etc available) and food either cooked in-house or ordered from a nearby restaurant. Alternatively Joshi can recommend the true Indian eateries which are hard to find for foreigners in a town where many restaurants target tourists with their non-authentic pricey meals. Our favourite meals in Jaisalmer were at restaurants recommended by Joshi and Ujula. Joshi also helped us immensely with sourcing spare-parts and extras for our rickshaw and soon word spread and he was called upon to assist other teams who were not staying at his hotel. No money or commission was passed on, nor was it asked for and Joshi refused our offer of a tip. He embraced the charity event we were participating in and wanted to do his bit.

In summary - Hotel Rose Villa is comfortable and a home away from home. It is very well priced and each guested is treated like a visitor to Joshi and Ujulas home. I'm surprised at the harsh comment on this forum and wonder if said authors actually expected a Sheraton experience given the price they paid for rooms. I guess you cannot please everybody.

I'm happy to be contacted if you would like more info about this hotel and its wonderful owners.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mtresillian
Reviewed January 16, 2011

In a nutshell: Honesty, Friendliness, Cleanliness, and Wi-Fi.

Honest and friendly staff in a nicely decorated hotel. Spending 3 months in India I realized there's plenty of schemers in the hotel business, but at Rose Villa I had my best experience of Rajasthan.

They don't push you for camel safari, unlike others. And it was all very clean when I stayed. Got soap, towel, and unlimited toilet paper. And a really pleasant atmosphere and friendly staff. (My first contact with Mr Joshi was already when he helped me escape from a scheme at the bus, where they wanted to charge me extra for luggage).

It's true there's no restaurant, but you can have breakfast there and can order dinner with them (or better, you can ask them for some authentic, non-touristy restaurant, as I did). It's also not super close to the fort, but Jaisalmer is small and the walk there can help you see the city's alleys - which is really the key of its flavour. On the first day you might get a bit lost, but quickly you learn the way.

You do get some barking and cow mooing in the morning, but c'mon, that's part of the India countryside experience.

Finally, they had Wi-Fi! And one that works. I found that extremely rare in Rajasthan.

It was not the fanciest but perhaps my most pleasant stay in all the 3 months I stayed in India.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo