“Excellent place and awesome VFM”

Mystic Jaisalmer Hotel
Ranked #11 of 105 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Bangalore
“Excellent place and awesome VFM”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

After a rather disastrous train journey from Jaipur (no reservations) we came to Mystic Jaisalmer and the place was very beautiful. The owner, Ashraf, has really put his heart into the place and it shows. The rooms were nice, clean and well maintained. We went for a day trip to the Sam dunes and had a stay in tents under the stars, a brilliant experience.
Ashraf even arranged for a complimentary meal of laal maas (a rajasthani delicacy, very spicy mutton curry) which was very nice of him. On the final day, a friend had to catch a flight in Jodhpur and when the cab (booked through the hotel) delayed showing up he arranged for his own staff to drive us down to Jodhpur, we reached there in what seemed record time. Bottom line, I would definitely return to this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Indi_trotter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 24, 2012

After a tiring and hot train ride from Jaipur, the free aircon pick up ride from the train station is such a breather not only that, you get a free coffee or chai upon arrival too. The location is really good and the price of the rooms are really cheap compared to the other hostels in the area. I initially book a dorm bed but since its off peak and theres not too many guests at that time, the owner is nice enough to give me an upgrade to a private room. There's also a nice rooftop where you can chill and go star gazing. I really really admire the staff here, from the owner to the help because they made me feel comfortable throughout my entire stay and organized a camel safari even if its a last minute request, that, I think, made Mystic Jaisalmer one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank happygypsyislandgirl
London
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I had the unfortunate luck of staying here while they were doing building work (I left today, and it's low season at the moment which explains why), however, they still have a few rooms that aren't being done up. I initially booked a dorm room (RS100), but unfortunately the dorm was being fixed up, so they gave me a double room with a bathroom for the same price, which came as a nice surprise!

To be honest, the whole place is a bit of a mess (not their fault obviously!), but for RS100 i thought the room was excellent value for money, it's basic but perfect if you're on a budget. They provide towels and fresh sheets, and overall the rooms are very clean and comfortable. The wifi signal is good too. I was also awakened by the building work quite early every morning but I didn't mind that due to the cheap price. They apologized for the building work waking me up and let me have a few nights for free, so you might get lucky as well!

The guys that run the place are really cool and very friendly, and they organised the camel safari for me. To be honest I think you can get cheaper safaris elsewhere but in the end I had a great trek and was totally worth what I paid.

Overall, if you're planning to stay in Jaislamer within the next month or so (or whenever they finish building), I would recommend this place if you want a nice cheap room with friendly owners, if you can handle being woken up by the building work. However when this place is done up i think it would be one of the best places to stay in Jaislamer. Thanks guys you were great!

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Chris R
Gdansk, Poland
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Pretty good rooms, besides the bathrooms which were clearly suboptimal. The food served was average, but turned out to be the reason for both my (12 days) and my friends (4 days) diarrhea, either from the safari or from the restaurant at the hotel. Too bad..

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank isabellagorloff
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed in this place two nights and i wished we could have stayed way longer! This was the best place we stayed in india by far! The location is very convenient (walking distance to the fort&the lake),the room is spacious (got given a 3bed room for 2 with balcony although there were smaller rooms available) and the staff is just adorable!they were very helpful and sweet all the time! The rooftop restaurant is cozy and the food was just delicious! The owner took his time to give us advice about bargaining in the shops, tell us where to go&what to visit.he would just arrange everything for us (no comission,on the contrary..) we had a special "private desert tour" by night which was fantastic!
The rooftop is TOP to watch the stars and the moon and shooting stars!
Im very glad i stayed here,am recommending it to everybody ever since,and will hopefully return there very soon!

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Bettina-sch
Rosario, Argentina
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Mixed feelings about this place.... Had read so many reviews, and had such good comments from my friends who had stayed here before, that my boyfriend and I booked in.
Pros:
Free pick up at the station, a PLUS PLUS
Complimentary chai on arrival
Easy to contact by email
Camel safari: THE BEST! Tiger was amazing! A great genuine guy, with a great heart and spirit.
Cons:
Deluxe room: No water on the sink, not hot water on shower, bathroom very very dirty, poor conditions.
Night: Extremely hot at night, deluxe room impossible to sleep in... much cooler outside the room!! Would have been better to sleep on the terrace.
Meditation Classes: not available during my stay
Food at night: not available... "cook has gone out for a couple of hours, there are plenty of restaurants close by"
Paid in advance for a 6 am camel safari departure, to then come to know departure time was 8 am without explanation nor money refund.
Camel safari: unfortunately got sick (I bet it was because the food had been out in the sun the whole day, and April is already very hot.... so no good consequences...). Tiger was extremely nice and careful, checking on me all the time. On arrival to almost empty hostel, had to struggle to get a cool room to lie down for a couple of hours to feel better before train departure...
I mean.. I don´t want anything for free, I know it´s a business and money is what they want... but a little compassion and sympathy would also be helpful!!! Money money money is all they wanted the whole time.
Reading the other reviews I realize the owner is the one who makes the difference... He was in Jodhpur during our stay.. maybe that says it all....

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MairanJ M
MysticJaisalmer1, Owner at Mystic Jaisalmer Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear Ms MairanJ, we are happy to know that you enjoy most of our services during your stay like Best camel safari, free pick-up, drop-off etc. and we appreciate your objective reviews. However, about the cons you listed, there are not to the truth.

Deluxe Room: this is the best room in our hostel, definitely with water in the sink. About hot water in the shower in 40+ degree in summer, if you ask us for it, we can offer you with pleasure.

Night: just for your notice, deluxe room is equipped with AC and fan, and they both function very well. What you need to do is just to turn them on. Even in the worst condition, ie. you are uncomfortable so that you can not bear AC or fan, you still can open the window or balcony door to let cool breeze in. and you can ask our staff to solve your problem any time as we mentioned it is our family hotel where you feel free to ask for suggestion we will definitely help you to solve them out.

Meditation Classes: we do like to share meditation classes with our guests, however when the owner is not here we don't want to give you meditation classes irresponsibly. Besides, it is not a necessity for every hostel to provide meditation, we thought this could be a bonus experience for our guests, however it turned out to be a thing to get blamed on..

Food at Night: We are of course happy to supply food to our guests at their will, but if food is needed after mid night when everyone is sleeping, we are sorry that we cannot 100% satisfy your need. If you are really hungry, you can wake our staff up to cook,

Camel Safari Delay: we are sorry about the 2 hour delay for your safari because we were waiting for other couple who been safari with you. Time is money, that is what we can read from your lines. I am sorry that we disappoint you that we cannot refund you for your 2 hours.

Sympathy and Compassion: dear Ms MairanJ, guesthouse and guest are also a mutual thing. You finally get a cool room to rest before your train departure, and we didn't charge you, we appreciate your claim that don't want any thing for free.

To be honest, we do want our guests to have a wonderful stay in our place and we know we are not 100% perfect. We respect your suggestions and we will keep improving our services.

I wish your India exploration Incredible still.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I couldn't imagine having a better experience at a hostel than at this one. My friend and I arrived after a long overnight bus ride and were very tired, though wanted to do a camel trek that day. The staff graciously had us use a room for freshening up and rest, which had us welcomed and energized. The decor is lovely--many romantic old world touches that make you feel like you've stepped back in time, and overlooking the town's fort doesn't hurt, either! Heaven lies on the rooftop's hammocks. Also, the welcoming chai and meditation/movie nights really make it the perfect hostel. We had too much fun on our camel trek~highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends