“Cooking lesson with Aunty”
Review of 8 July

8 July
Ranked #152 of 195 Restaurants in Jaisalmer
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I don't know if this review is in the right place beacause I had cooking lesson here rather than eat. You can moan if this is not what you are looking for, but I can tell you the food I cooked was very good.
As for the cooking lesson I had a great time. 2 hours of 1-2-1. This was just luck as the day before there were 3 in the group, but they then spent 4 hours plus. I booked because of their recommendation.
We learnt 3 gravies that can then be expanded on. I would say that I am an experienced cook (family cooking for 20 yrs), yet I came away with lots of tips.
I have read other reviews, i guess my host was direct, but I would not have learnt half as much if she had not been. At no point did I feel she was rude. Like I said, I was enchanted and educated by 'aunty' (she had me call here by her first name, but I so liked the last review, his character description is spot on - sorry) for 2 hours.
I would recommend you try.

2  Thank john v

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Right at the Durga Chowk inside the Jaisalmer Fort,you will see this bright first floor balcony resturant with menu list inviting you to take a look. Infact once you are seated, uncle wil come and say hello with an australian tone whereas aunty will shoo him back to the kitchen and with a warning start receitng the available menu. Listen to her carefully, otherwise she will scold you off!!! stay calm & silent... she is good at heart..cos in peak of winter she promised us Fresh Mango Juice for all as a drink starter... and it was there in our table within 3 minutes... Magic...isn't Mango ripes in summer and that too 500km away from Jaisalmer.. food is no doubt good. Once you are settled and your hunger grows, your prefffered menu or should I say Aunty's special preffered menu arrives... and slowly aunty calms down her speed to running & talking, then comes to your table to chat up. About her past as a stock broker in Kolkata & Mumbai, not knowing how to cook, uncle teaching her to cook etc etc.... of course by this time you will be curious to ask what does 8th July stands for.... well you will get the answer.....enjoy the food talk show.....do let me know if exactly the sequence happens with you too

2  Thank Vagabondtales
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My wife and I visited 8 July every day during our 7 day stay in Jaisalmer but never in the evening. As such we only ate various snacks alongside drinks such as cold coffee & ice cream, lime soda and masala chai. The food was good, however, and where appropriate we were asked what level of spicyness we liked.

Situated on one side of the main square inside the Fort, adjacent to the Palace, it is a wonderful spot to look down on comings and goings while the restaurant owner always had time for a chat. As we are interested in Indian food, she took time out to explain how best to cook various dishes and we also noticed that she would advise people what/what not to eat if - how shall I put it - they were feeling the effects of previous meals.

2  Thank Tabascoleathergrain
Reviewed December 30, 2011

The recent reviews have been on the negative side,but our experience was good.We went there for breakfast,after our early morning tour of the fort and dear Rama aunty came to take our order.She recommended blackcurrant lassi for me and I did love it for it's freshness and natural flavor.The Muesli with curd was ok(we skipped the honey),the mooli paratha could have been full bodied.Aunty mentioned that pasta in white sauce is her specialty along with apple pie of course.She even offered to pack food for us for our train travel that evening,but as we already had made arrangements,we had to forego her lovely gesture.
Rama aunty came and sat with us for a while after our breakfast,wishing other customers good morning and helping them with their orders.She even called over the owner of ancient handicrafts when I expressed my desire to shop for reasonably priced handicrafts,who then took us to his shop.
Yes,the prices are on the higher side but the elderly couple who run this place are nice and we will return to try more of their food.

1  Thank ReviewsByLux
Reviewed December 10, 2011

They were in a hurry to close the restaurant and it made feel us quite uncomfortable

1  Thank nachgonzalez