Hotel Roop Mahal
Fort Villa(Jaisalmer)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Suraj(Jaisalmer)
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationcamel safarithe ownerrooftop restaurantgulabrooms are cleanfree taxicamel mannice viewfort viewfree pick up and dropdesert safarisjaisalmer tripcheap pricenice experiencevery nice hotelamazing place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have spent a week at hotel Roop Mahal and have really enjoyed my stay at this hotel, which is only a few minutes walk away from the 1st fort gate. My room was big and clean, with a comfy bed, cable TV, hot running water and a shower that had actual water pressure and was a good price (Rs.300 per night) for the quality facilities.

I did a 2 day camel safari with Roop Mahal, we went into the Thar desert at Khuri and I really enjoyed the trip. The food was good, the bedding warm and clean and the guides went out of their way to make sure we were all comfortable and having a good time. I didn't see any other came safari groups and we had the dunes to ourselves for the duration of the trip. The only part I didn't enjoy was our walk through one of the desert villages where the local kids surrounded us asking for presents. Asides from that riding the camels and sleeping in the open under the stars was an amazing experience to have had. Roop Mahal stored my luggage safe, had a room ready for me upon my return and the staff were all really friendly and welcoming. Owner Chandra takes time to chat with the guests on the rooftop restaurant/chill out space and has been helpful with hotel recommendations for the rest of my trip in Rajasthan. There is no great pressure to take their camel safari or eat at their restaurant. They also pick you up and drop you at the train station for free. Thanks Chandra for your hospitality. I really enjoyed my week long retreat in Jaisalmer.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
chandrajaisalmer, Owner at Hotel Roop Mahal, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2014

Thank you so much for your review! Feedback is so important to our business and we really appreciate the time that you have taken to let us know how you found your stay with us.

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with 3 other friends during February and had a fantastic time. Good clean cheap rooms. The owner Chandra really makes the place. I will be back for sure!

Also did the safari through here which was great, and exactly how he said it would be. The local camel men he hires are really friendly and listening to them sing there folk songs under the stars was a highlight!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I definitely advise you to stay at this hotel, in which me and my friends had the best experience ever! Not only is the hotel really warm and friendly, but the camel trips in the non touristic dunes were also an amazing experience. thank you so much Chandra for your hospitality!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights and also partook in the camel safari which Chandra, the hotel owner, offered.

About the hotel: we opted for a cheaper interior room (500ru) which was basic, but clean and had hot water. The more expensive rooms had large windows and views of the fort and the city. The hotel has great food, but is a bit more expensive then what you will find in town. We had the chicken curry one night and couldn't get enough (300ru). The roof top patio is large but only has three window seat tables. Adding 2-3 more tables up there would help cozy up the place. The hotel also is a bit echoey throughout, which could be reduced with some hallway carpets...just a suggestion.

The safari: this safari was slightly more expensive then others we had researched at 1250 per person per night -inclusive. BUT we thought it was worth every penny! We were driven out ~60km into the desert away from the city before beginning our 3day 2 night safari. We saw no other tourists the whole time and had two amazing nights sleeping under the stars. Our guides worked continuously, cooking for hours every evening and caring for the camels. The food was amazing and we were even able to order beer!!
During the safari we also visited 2 villages. We were told that we should bring something for the children - some members in our group brought candy we bought 20 pencils to give out. HOWEVER when we arrived to the town we were bombarded by 40+ kids who were yelling out "candy, chocolate, rupees!" It was overwhelming. We didn't have enough pencils for everyone and when one of the guys pulled out he candy....it was anarchy! I feel like the kids would have killed each other for some of it. I don't know what the answer is, obviously receiving a tasty piece of candy is a treat, and I may have behaved the same if I was 7 yrs old, but it's unfortunate that it has become expected. I feel like they would almost be mad if we had come there with nothing.

Overall wonderful experience. The hotel even dropped us at the bus station after we had checked out. Fantastic management! Thanks again

Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed December 11, 2013

PROS
- The owner, Chandra Ujjwal, is the best thing going for Roop Mahal — he's gregarious and interesting and engages with his guests very well.
- The location below the fort walls is environmentally sound (unlike lodges inside the fort) and not far to walk to attractions.
- The two rooms in the front on the second floor are a good value for those looking for a cut above Backpacker Basic.

CONS
- The bevy of young men who work the hotel are nice enough, but not adequately trained in customer service or housekeeping.
- Bathroom hygiene was sub-standard. After we spent a night out in the desert and came back to the same room, the toilet and the bathtub had not been cleaned at all. My wife actually scrubbed bathroom fixtures before she could use them.
- There was no place to hang clothes in the room (and it was the best room in the hotel).
- If you open the windows to the outside, the pervasive odour or sewage will motivate you to close them again.
- The food was less than ordinary and overpriced for what you get. The "Maharaja Thali" at R300 was the least impressive thali so far in India, yet one of the most expensive.
- Beer is R200 as well, the top price level anywhere in Jaisalmer outside the luxury hotels.
- In sum, it seems that the reasonably priced rooms are incentives to get you in there, where other services are overpriced compared to what you can get elsewhere in town.

WOULD WE STAY THERE AGAIN? No

THE DESERT SAFARI offered by Roop Mahal's tour outfit 'Dream the Desert" (two days and one night out)

PROS
- Was outside the heavily touristed area — we saw lots of locals (the Thar desert is inhabited), but no other tourists
- The camel man and camel boy were earnest and helpful
- Effort was made to stop in dunes, which are not found everywhere in the Thar
- Food was pretty good, considering the conditions of preparation
- Bedrolls were warm and the sheets and pillowcases clean — still, the sleeping was hard.
- It was a worthy activity to undertake, although we cannot compare it to the offerings of other safari companies

CONS
- Camp hygiene was less than adequate, although we seem to have survived
- The camel boy (aged 10) was working instead of going to school
- Price, at R2500 per person for two days and one night was apparently more than most other safari companies in Jaisalmer

IS THE SAFARI WORTH TAKING: Yes

Room Tip: If you're not going Backpacker Basic, room 106 and (I think) 104 at the front of the second floor are better (and more expensive) than other rooms. If you're a super hard-up backpacker, you can sleep in a tent on the roof for R100.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple