Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Dumped in the Desert”
Review of Hotel Deep Mahal

Hotel Deep Mahal
Ranked #125 of 153 B&Bs / Inns in Jaisalmer
London, United Kingdom
“Dumped in the Desert”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Nice hotel, clean rooms but no hot water.. Staff deceptive, Safari Way overpriced! Ugly landscape littered with windmills and pylons! Guide refused to pad the saddles when we asked.. painful ride until we met another safari which where all sitting on cushions! We paid for 3 days but they where busy getting us off the camels at noon for the next clients, the guide left us in the desert waiting for the Jeep, while he galloped off with his camels into the horizon to collect the next clients on our payed day!!

don't do the Camel Safari with Deep Mahal, we learned later it's better to start much further out for better prices, nicer landscape, better guides and food....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank AnsW_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
Delhi, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2012

There's a reason why the rooms are so cheap here...It's because they sell very expensive camel safaris. They will definitely smooth talk you into the "Off the beaten track" safari. Talk to another safari operator before committing at this place so you can get a reasonable price. I was also quoted a bus ticket price which was far too expensive.

Cool place, cool camel safaris,just don't let them rip you off; They're good at it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank orchida3
Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Jaisalmer fort. An old fort converted into hotels with a magical atmosphere. We had a wonderful time in hotel deep mahal. All the rooms are beautiful, but especially the wonderful temple room. Three basic requirements of any traveler: Clean bed-linen, clean bathroom and good food—are met honestly in deep mahal. The Hotel owner Yogie made us feel like home, thank you!
Our room was spacious, lovely and clean fabulously decor in Rajasthan style, with living space and most important bathroom was wonderful very big and spotless (I have found this very limited in India's hotels). the subtle fragrance of Lemon Grass all over the place. Make you fresher all the time.
Our stay was mead memorable by the excellent hospitality shown by the staff. The staff is great and very courteous and makes you feel completely at home. The breakfast spread has a good variety and is delicious. The ambience gives you the fine feeling in hotel. You don't only feel fine, you feel like at sweet home.
Private activities were also arranged by hotel, including Excellent Camel safari with camping in Desert (in a peace full area), romantic dinner in the desert, and chai[tea] time in the desert with a sunrise view. Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank takashi75
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Got a recommendation for these guys from another traveller in Jodhpur, called them the night before I was to arrive in Jaisalmer and they said that they would pick me up from the bus station and that I could get a single room for Rs. 200. Refused to discuss camel safari prices on the phone, saying they would show me options the next morning and we would discuss then. I made clear in this conversation that I was NOT committing to anything before I knew the itinerary and price.
Picked me up at 4, took me to the hotel - there were no singles available, so I got a beautiful double room - they said it was normally Rs. 800 but they would give it to me for 200, and that there was a lady checking out of one of the singles the next morning and to be there at 9 am to move in and discuss the safari.
Went down at 9 am - no management around, just a kitchen boy who had no idea about the rooms, and saw another traveller checking in to the single I was supposed to take. I was told that the manager would be by soon and went for a walk.
No manager at 10...
No manager at 11...
No manager at 12...the kitchen boy tried calling the manager - no pick up 3 times.
At this point I got sick of waiting and wasting my time and booked a safari for the next morning with Trotters, a company that someone else had recommended to me. I was pretty ticked off as if I had known it would be such an ordeal with the Deep Mahal, I would've booked a safari with Trotters for that very morning.
At 2 I got back to the hotel, and the manager was then ready to discuss a safari. I informed him of my tour with Trotters, and he started shouting at me about "giving other people his business." Tried to explain calmly that I waited for him all morning - shrugged it off and said he was busy. Ignored the fact that we had an appointment.
At this point he told me that he was not going to move me to the single room and told me to check out.
Got my bag, dropped 200 rupees on the floor in front of him (a bit rude I know but I was pretty peeved at him being discourteous after making me WAIT for 4 hours and lose a day out of a pretty tightly packed trip), and told him - Operate like an amateur, be paid like an amateur.

Go to this hotel for the rooms if you'd like, but make absolutely clear that you are not interested in safaris - there are many better operators around town.

Room Tip: Try to get the double room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Karan K
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights recently with 7 other friends and really felt at home. The room was HUGE, clean, modern bathroom with 24 hour hot water and really good free internet connection. The breakfast was very good the optional dinner was delicious, plus it also gave us a chance to chat with the home stays other guests. The staff is super friendly and extreme helpful. This was the perfect place to rest up at the end of some very busy days in India. Great hospitality.
We had 2 night/ three day camel safari with deep mahal and have had such a fantastic time. It's professionally-run organization. They do much more than require. a lot of entertainment, good service, guys always helped out there. Even in desert, in the middle of nowhere you can have lots of fun with delicious meals. Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank ewan s
Sydney Mines, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed four o night's at Hotel deep mahal and had the best time here. This clean little guesthouse is runned by young boy’s team and they are all very welcoming. They picked us up at train station and received masala chai upon arrival. T he rooms are clean and spacious, cozy with lots of fresh air and sunshine. The attached balcony was a blessing. Also Hot water and very clean bathroom. There is nice rooftop terrace with a good view of beautiful jain temple.
The owner yogi is super helpful. He was really sweet about riding me on bike to the ATM and local market.
We had 3 day, 2 night safari with deep mahal and had an excellent time.. We did the 'off the track safari ‘which really was off the beaten track -! Other operators which recommended by travel books we spoke to offered 'non touristic' options, but apparently they all do the same 'non touristic' route – so if you can pay little more then – deep mahal is the one to go for. –Our desert guide mattar was very friendly and careful all the time with big heart to understand tourist very well so we felt like we were on our own in the desert - very romantic. Well worth the money - we definitely got the experience we were seeking or looking! When you're there you're part of the family. Really can't say enough. It was truly magical
They also ensure we got to the train station safely and on time in the night. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank maura h
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 8, 2011

What a property!!!. It is very rare that I find a property that so exceeds our expectations. The ambience of the hotel was spectacular and the service was wonderful. I loved the way they have done the decoration. We stayed in a very clean room with nice decoration. It was amazing. Even the bathroom is worth a review. I think this is one of the best budget Hotel in India. And Service is also very good and the workers are very helpful, lovely people and friendly behavior. Their Indian restaurant where we had most of our meals was excellent!! Lovely experience in our life thank you deep mahal.

Hotel deep mahal organized Very good camel safari too With many option we had also an excellent 2 night 3 day non touristic camel safari with hotel deep mahal.A most amazing trek!. “There is a really laid back atmosphere in this trip. i liked very much, The people the village , the food and the camel were excellent. Highly recommend them. Unlike a lot of other outfits, they don't take you where other tourists go. So the villages you see are much more authentic.. The camel drivers are equally warm and courteous towards the guest and takes extra care in making things comfortable for everyone. This has been a wonderful experience. Thanks hotel deep mahal

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends