“Great hotel, great views!”
Review of Surja Hotel

and 1 more site!
Surja Hotel
Ranked #5 of 153 Jaisalmer B&B and Inns
Santa Monica, California
“Great hotel, great views!”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

The hotel is set in the outer walls of the Fort in Jaisalmer offerin great views of the city below from the rooms. We had the largest room with a big balcony for 2 people overlooking the city below. The room was clean and comfortable with AC.

Service in the hotel is fantastic - as soon as we arrived we were offered a welcome drink and upon our departure 2 bottles of ice cold water. The hotel has two computers with internet as well as free wireless access, the fastest connections we've had in India so far.

All in all great value, great service, great location!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ie_hh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Denver
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Probably the best deal inside the fort, and maybe outside too. Big clean rooms from 250-750, depending on view. The fort wall is the outside wall of the hotel and some windows/balconies look directly out. One rounded room is a bastion of the fort. Good and cheap food at the rooftop restaurant with free wifi and friendly staff. What else could you ask for?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank TravelsInParadise
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Jaisalmer is a nice town, but staying in Surja Hotel will significantly improve your experience it! of It's a shame to stay anywhere else.

I sat on the rooftop for hours a day. The view was breathtaking, especially at sunset and sunrise. I simply didn't want to go anywhere else (I liked the view and the atmosphere on the rooftop so much that one night I even slept there, under the stars!)

The staff was friendly, generous, and honest. I stayed at Surja for 10 days, partly because the staff consisted of some of the nicest people I met in India. They trully made me feel like family. I was sad when I had to go back home, and next time I'm in India I'll definately stay in Surja for a longer time.

Besides that, the rooms were very beautiful and romantic and had great view of the desert (especially the ones with a small balconies that go out of the fort's wall!).

And above all that - THE PRICES ARE REDICULOUSLY LOW, which makes this place TERRIFIC VALUE!

One last point, there is free internet on the balcony which made made stay there much more than I expected :-)

So, do yourselves a favour and don't miss this place! It's really everything you're looking for in a guest house. No other place in Jaisalmer can compete with it. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the best guest house I've EVER stayed in.

Room Tip: All rooms I saw were beautiful, but it's best to ask for A ROOM WITH A BALCONY. Having a balcon...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Ori M
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Surja Guest House is not a hotel, is a real home. In my first trip to India I spent only one night there. I feel like I'm real Maharana:) A large room, very large, royal bed, spacious bathroom, food served in the room ;)... although the roof terraces are incredible! Balcony from the window allows me to see the world from above ... from the wall of the fort ...
On my second trip to India I spent in Surja Guest House two weeks, and the third trip I spent a month there :) I felt like in a house, all the staff is very friendly, the restaurant is the taste of every tourist, and for me is the best!
There, on the roof, you can spend a nice time with staff or other beautiful tourist, and in the roof top you feel like you're in Paradise - are just you and the sun, or just you and the stars :)
Maharajah you want to be? Living in Surja Guest House! It is wonderful! There I felt the taste of royal ... ;)

Room Tip: Each room is different. It is impossible not to find a room right on your taste!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Simona_Luciana_Pirvu
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2011

When we arrived at the hotel Surja we had had a couple of bad experiences, and we were on our guard ready for any bad treatment. We were therefore completely knocked off our feet by Raj's hospitality and kindness. He drove us around on his motorbike, even giving us a guided tour of the city. All the staff were friendly and did everything they could to help us. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone coming to Jaisalmer!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank LeedsStudent521
Udaipur, India
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Hotel Surja was perfect to enjoy Jaisalmer. The room was very nice and the balcony to relax and enjoy the view topped it all. The food was very good and for a very good price. But the best was the staff and especially the manager which made our stay so much easier. With free pickup from train station and free drop off to the bus station. He even rushed to the bus station on a motorbike to tell the bus to wait for us as we were just on time. The camel safari booked through the hotel was very nice and there also we had a very nice camel driver. I definitely recommend staying there, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lucyandjulien
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My boyfriend an I stayed here for two nights in August 2011. We didn't have a booking but were given a rickshaw for free anyway from the train station. We chose a room with an awesome view out from the fort. The price and location inside the fort cannot be beaten. We had an awesome couple of days exploring the old town inside the fort, visiting the nearby palace. Upstairs they have a restaurant which we ate most meals at which were great. There is also free wifi as well as two PCs which are free to use. We were also taken back to the train station for free on our way out. All in all, thoroughly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2011