“An extremely helpful hotel”
Review of Surja Hotel

and 1 more site!
Surja Hotel
Ranked #6 of 158 Jaisalmer B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2011

These guys went so far out of their way to help me out. I found everyone who worked at the hotel to be honest and genuinely kind and helpful. They have a great social rooftop and I hung out on there for of my stay in Jaisalmer with the other tourists. They also provide WiFi free of charge. I wholeheartedly recommend them. I only stayed one night and really wish I had extended my stay as I was tempted to do. Great experience in every way. Oh, and try the Kaju Curry with mixed vegetables.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank NGhody

Reviewed April 17, 2011

Many travelers have sung the praises of this hotel/guesthouse, so I probably don't need to say anything but I will because it is such a delight. It is incredible value for very modest prices. The location is nothing short of spectacular, perched high on the battlements of the charming old fort/city. We stayed in the most "expensive" room at 850 rupees (the other rooms are all less at differing rates) very big and delightfully decorated with a wonderful Indian style balcony over looking the fabulous golden city of Jaisalmer and the Thar desert. The roof top restaurant is a great chill out spot with breathtaking views. The food is good multi-cuisine guesthouse fare at very reasonable prices. They even turn out a remarkably tasty pizza. Raj is an ebullient host, who picked us up personally at the train, and later took us on an extended (free) walking tour of both the fort and the surrounding city markets. Everybody in Jaisalmer knows this guy. He makes it his personal duty to ensure that you have a delightful stay. There is never any pressure to sell tours etc.

The old city is just amazing, you can wander , shop and eat for endless hours-loved it. I was in Jaisalmer 30 years ago, a bit different then, but I enjoyed it more this time..

Don't miss Jaisalmer or the Surja. (Be sure to book ahead, they are often full).

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank falangsabai
Reviewed April 16, 2011

The Surja is possibly the best value for money from a budget hotel I've found in India. Our room was only 150 rupees per night, complete with a balcony over-looking the courtyard outside. It was a clean room, and we slept well in what I found to be a very relaxing setting. There were also more expensive rooms (300-500) that had breath-taking views of the sandy city below the fort, which were decorated to a particularly high standard.

The roof-top restaurant had an incredible perspective of Jaisalmer and the managers don't mind a bit if you while away the afternoon reading or just lazing about. There is also free wi-fi available which I found to be very fast and cut out only if the power went off, which was rarely.

The food was good value for money and the portions were excellent! I would particularly recommend the porridge with banana and honey as a great start to the day! We were also given complimentary drinks upon arrival and departure which I've never experienced in budget hotels in India before, so it was a nice touch.

The managers, Yogi and Raj, were incredibly friendly and helpful. They organised an overnight camel safari for us with lunch, dinner and breakfast included at only 850 rupees each. Of course, we spent more time off the camel than on, but our thighs were grateful for the rest! When we returned, I realised that I had accidentally left my camera on the camel saddle and they recovered it for me later that day with no problem or extra charge whatsoever.

Our stay at the Surja was so wonderful that I would recommend it to any of my friends and family, though I'd advise them to deal with Raj and Yogi wherever possible, as a third member of staff, Munnah, made me uncomfortable. The hand-shakes and interruptions when you're trying to eat or you're in the middle of conversation are unnecessary to say the least, but the forced hug when we were leaving was especially awkward. We all said we were glad to have dealt only with Yogi and Raj after watching Munnah get pushy with other customers about the cost of camel safaris etc.

If you're staying for several days, you'd be wise to keep track of what you eat and drink, as there were a couple of discrepancies on our bill, though this was down to disorganisation of the restaurant slips rather than any sort of scam, so don't let it put you off.

Overall, a wonderful place with a relaxing atmosphere in the most beautiful of settings. A must-visit if you're in Jaisalmer!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Rosemary1983
Reviewed April 7, 2011

My sister stays at Hotel Surja whenever she goes to Jaisalmer and now I know why. She wanted me to come along and see with my own eyes and yes, I simply loved the place!!!
The relaxing rooftop was just what I needed, the food just what I loved and the friendly staff just what I wished for. Thank you to all for making our stay such a pleasant one!!! A wonderful place to stay all round and one I will recommend to everybody visiting Jaisalmer in the future.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Jaadu-1
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Thanks to all the staff for yet another wonderful stay.... these guys are amazing and truly try hard to help wherever they can to make your stay a memorable and relaxing one!

Thank you, Raj... for booking my favourite room, making me feel at home, helping with free transport, making all as easy as possible for me... When you find a place like this you will always come back to it, no need to stay anywhere else!
Travelling to India regularly, I find it very important to feel at home and trust the people I deal with... so will be back soon :-)

Love the food and atmosphere in the restaurant... what a place to be at sunrise and sunset!!!
I can thoroughly recommend this place for business trips (Free WIFI!!!) or leisure for people of any age... and am happy to be contacted if you have any concerns.

We also booked a short camel safari this time, visiting the dunes at sunset. We were looked after very well... thank you Moona for a memorable experience we wouldn't want to miss... LOVED IT!!! :-)

Can I say anything else? Ah yes.... please do not listen to the hustlers trying to tell you that there is a problem with the drainage of the fort. They will try to convince you not to stay inside the fort but in Jaisalmer itself.... sadly this claim is also distributed in well known travel guides and is due to sloppy investigation - now threatening the survival of so many beautiful havelis urgently in need of funds - tourism is their only income - this is now been compromised by these claims.... please support businesses inside the fort!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank jhini
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed in a room with a small shuttered balcony overlooking the city - absolutely fantastic view. The rooftop restaurant is mostly open with similarly spectacular views. I recommend staying within the fort - more atmospheric than the main city (not that the main city is boring, the fort just a better location). The issue of excessive sewerage from hotels within the fort ruining the the foundations of the fort and threatening it's survival as mentioned in the Lonely Planet book, is hotly denied by the locals. I was told the fort sewer system has since been fixed and takes the water beyond the confines of the fort. Raj the manager of the guest house is a really lovely guy, very friendly and intelligent. He was also exceptionally helpful and took me around the city on his motorbike to resolve a number of issues that would have been difficult to achieve without his help. The food from the guest house restaurant is nothing to get excited about, but quite ok. The rooms were traditionally decorated and more interesting than most places we stayed in Rajasthan, but are very basic with no linen, and the bathrooms were dilapidated, often not functioning fully - warm water was rare. Overall however the experience was great and one of the best places we stayed in Rajasthan.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with overlooking the cit.