“A gem of a Haveli in Jaiselmer”
Review of Hotel Pol Haveli

Hotel Pol Haveli
Ranked #5 of 162 Jaisalmer B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 17, 2013

There are a few places in the world that I would say are the best places I have ever stayed at - Pol Haveli has to be at number one. From being collected at the station till my drop off on departure. Transported into another world. All facilities including Wifi, Train and bus reservations - the whole kit and caboodle.The Haveli is warm and richly appointed, very comfortable and impeccably clean. The staff and the Owner make every moment seem like a Desert Fantasy.
The cook is sublime (try the Egg Curry - The Cashew Nut curry (raju). I believe I was in heaven.
Manu the Owner, personally took us out on a desert safari - far into the Far Desert away from all other beings. On occassion the some one will take you to the fort or around the city on a bike, or in the jeep. I know I shall return every time I go to Jaisalmer. Don't miss your chance to live the dream

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dunesurf
polhaveli, Owner at Hotel Pol Haveli, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear friend

thank you so much for your feedback. We're very happy that you had a pleasant stay and hope we'll see you again soon in Jaisalmer.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had a wonderful time in Pol Haveli, staff was extremely friendly, helpful and willing to teach - in case you were feeling like learning how to make chapathi for example.. I stayed for ten days, and after months of traveling through India without hot showers it was a real pleasure to enjoy the hot water there..even if it s just morning and evening available..but what more does a traveler need? there s free wifi available as well and computers for those who are traveling without laptop. and well, the rooms are quite comfortable and clean. The place has an amazing roof top terrace with restaurant /cafe on it and another smaller terrace on top..where you can lie and watch the stars at night if you want. During the days you ve got an amazing view over the whole city and the fort..with seeing the sunrise and sunset from the roof as a bonus. The place is not really far from the city centre and the fort, maybe a 10 minutes walk. It s a bit tricky to find it, so arrange with Manu and his crew to get picked up from wherever you arrive. They also offer Safaris, as almost every hotel in town..I didnt try them myself but I heard from other travellers that it was a pretty unique experience. And - referring to other reviews - I just got the information at the start that safaris can be arranged..afterwards I was never bothered with it again. Ah..and for bedbug-fearing people..the matresses (like the whole hotel) are pretty new, so no danger in there.. ;)
What really made my stay is the crew.. they re so friendly and welcoming that you might think after a while it s like family. Whenever I got up in the morning and joined them on the terrace I got a chai immediately, as a kind of wake up drink..without asking. And after a couple of shared meals at dinner and some more days it was really hard to leave.. and for sure I'll come back next time I'm staying in Jaisalmer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mary_loula

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Most of my experience with hotels in India ranged from adequate to health hazard. So if I wound up in a room that didn't smell bad, I was satisfied.
This place blew all my expectations out of the water.
First, Manu, the owner picked us up at the bus station and elegantly pull us out of a mob of hustlers, and pushy cab drivers, and other unscrupulous denizens who prey on naive travelers.
Usually my travel partners and I shared a room, but this place was so cool, with its ornately carved alcove where the bed lives, we had to have our own rooms. My bed had something like 8 pillows in various sizes, and was super posh.
The roof has a restaurant that was so pleasant we were compelled to spend as much time there as we did out in the city itself. The staff bent over backwards not only to make us comfortable, but to dance with us, let us into the kitchen and teach us to cook Indian dishes.
At one point, we asked the self made, rags to riches, owner, (who uses a great deal of the hotels proceeds to help the needy of his village) where the best place to eat was. He said, without hesitation, that best place was his house. So we went there for dinner. We ate dinner cooked by his family, with his family. I love this guy.
When we went out he sent his cousin M with us. Who made sure we saw the best sights, from the best vantage points, and made sure no one ripped us off.
Jaisalmer, was the highlight of my trip, and Manu did everything he could to make sure that would be the case.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The hotel is very beautiful in the typical jaisalmer style with this golden stone. Rooms are very comfy and with all the facilities. On he roof the view is spectacular and both service and food is really good. Price is very very reasonable and location is just perfect!

• Stayed: February 2013
polhaveli, Owner at Hotel Pol Haveli, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Reviewed March 11, 2013

After meeting Manu's good friend Babu in Udaipur, we had a strong feeling about Pol Haveli. Manu the owner, met us at the bus station, helped us with our bags, and we hit it off right away. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are large and well equipped, with cozy big beds, and my room had a bathtub.... woo!
The food, on the very comfortable roof deck, was great, and the staff, warm and helpful. M, our tour guide (more like a good friend that shows you around, since he never asked for any money) was spectacular. He took us to some great shops, helped us negotiate, and I even got a ride on his motorcycle. We loved him so much, we demanded that he come with us on our trip to Pushkar, and he did!
One of the big highlights for our group, was going to Manu and M's village, meeting their family, and cooking dinner together. I'm not sure this is something every hotel guest would have the opportunity to do, but it was a real treat indeed. The food was amazing, a green chili mutton stew dish that was perfectly spiced. Sitting around the fire talking about the village, the town, politics, other places we had all been, and getting to hang out with all the kids, and even watch a little Indian Cartoon Network.
Our whole experience in Jaisalmer was top notch, and I feel like we owe a great deal of that to Manu, his family, and his staff. I can't recommend this spot enough. Thank you Pol Haveli for your tremendous hospitality. I hope to return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, a couple of the larger rooms have bathtubs you might want to ask about, if...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 9, 2013

My stay in Pol Haveli was most pleasant experience, you can't ask for more personalized service. Hotel owner Manu bhaiyaa arranged everything what one can ask for. My room was very nicely decorated, terrace gives you an amazing view, it makes worth spending some time sipping a cup of Tea or Beer (whatever suits you), I tried both,, of course at different times ;)

How can I miss about their special Mutton, never had such a treat. You can simply order it in 2-3 hr advance and enjoy it when they’re serving,, Mind it! It was very delicious. When a Delhite says they had a delicious Non veg meal outside Delhi, they can’t be more serious about anything in world, you know what I mean

On the last day of my trip I had a few extra hours as my train was leaving around 5pm, so I decided to hire a bike and just look around in nearby areas. I was so lost that I forgot to watch the time and I realized it when only 45 min was left for my train to departure. I just reached Pol haveli and handed over bike keys, Manu Bhaiyaa sent someone to return the bike and get my ID which I deposited to get the rental bike. Meanwhile I just went for a quick shower and Manu Bhaiyaa dropped me to Railway Station, at Railway Station I saw that person waiting for me to handover my ID.

When I reached back home (Delhi) found that I forgot to pack my favorite jeans, I just called Manu bhaiyaa and told him about this, he has found the jeans and kept with himself. He told my very soon one of his hotel staff will be travelling to Delhi and I can collect it from him in Delhi, And guys it really happened, I've collected my jeans in Delhi last Thursday.
To summarize, Manu bhaiyaa and crew does amazing job to ensure that their guest have most pleasant experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 8, 2013

What can you say about a place where you are taken in and treated like a family member? The guys are lovely. The views are amazing, the rooms are fabulous. They can arrange any activity you'd like to do in the area. Strongly recommend going on a camel ride in the desert. When I returned to England this place had found its way into my heart, and I miss it every day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo