“A professional restaurant in an amazing haveli”
Review of Saffron

Saffron
Ranked #54 of 197 Restaurants in Jaisalmer
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is a very professional restaurant. The terrace is large, the view is great, the service polite and professional. The Haveli is astonishing, the food is very good. It is a top range restaurant, worth a visit for its relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Ridiculously slow n non hospitile staff.....overly hyped place.....i refered Trip reviews n visited this place but if ur looking for good food n service this is not a place to be. The staff is non courteous.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We'd been recommended this restaurant by our tour guide and it was a good choice. It was beautifully decorated, very good for evening dinner or a drink at lunchtime and there was a band playing whilst we were there, adding quiet relaxing music in the background. It felt like it was popular with Westerners as there weren't many Indians dining there. Perhaps because of this it was a little expensive for India and the food was only average to good.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Saffron is a rooftop restaurant on Nachna Haveli .You have the huge Jaisalmer fort in the backdrop which is a great sight .Owing to Christmas and new year the restaurant was very well decorated from inside. The waiter was very warm and welcoming. For lunch the kitchen closes at 4 pm we were there just in time, so without thinking much we ordered two thalis one veg and non veg each. The food very flavorful.The curries which they served was spicy and robust.

So overall a great place and good food !

1  Thank samanvay_sinha
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have always read about how non-Indians or foreigners get more preference in certain high rated restaurants than the locals or Indians. I will not say it was completely true of Saffron, but did get a sense of it. Certain Haveli’s maybe because of the cost factor or the review factor are largely occupied by foreigners and I could see one entering the restaurant, a big group of foreign travelers which were looked after well and a group of special guests of the family. Our server, who seemed to be a Bong (belonging to the state of Bengal in India, since the first thing he asked me, am I one) and not sure when in India we would stop asking these sort of personal, totally un-related questions.

Anyhow, he kept on explaining, the Rathore’s to me and that they are with a special guest who is a shooter etc. as if he expected some kind of an awe from me. Needless to say, I was just there to get a hang of a different sort of ambiance in a restaurant which was talked about well on Trip.

The food – the veg hara kebabs was the best I have ever had in India, the Malai Kofta rated well with any A grade restaurant in a metro, the dal makhani was a shame although, since we asked them to keep it non-spicy and what I was served was a sweet dal with no taste, possibly because of the butter and no spice. It was also sad to see other guests (read foreigners) being served papad and salad proactively, while I had to keep on asking for these. Maybe it’s still engrained in our servers that foreigners would tip them well and this is something the owners should work on. Don’t take me wrong, I think we need the entire world to come to this wonderful place called Jaisalmer, but yes we Indians are still somehow stuck in a pre-independence time-warp for our own.

I would however hand it to Mr Rathore, one of the owners of Nachana Haveli, whom we met on our way out. He was honest in asking us about our experience and was fairly concerned as well and gave some good tips about our journey to Jodhpur.

However, to say it correctly, the way the place has been done up, the outside sitting, the food overall, this place really beckons you to come down once if you are in Jaisalmer.