“A very hospitable and helpful hotel for budget travelers.”
Review of Renuka Hotel

Renuka Hotel
Ranked #19 of 113 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I arrived in Jaisalmer at about 5:00 a.m. on the train from Jodhpur, and as promised there was a rickshaw waiting at the station for me, no charge. When I arrived at the hotel just a short time later, I was immediately given a room and told to get some sleep, and then register after I got up.

The room was one of the basic ones, with a private bathroom but no tv or other fancy extras. But the bed was comfortable, the plumbing worked, there was plenty of shelf space, and the hot water never ran cold. It is my understanding that some of the upstair rooms are a little fancier, but this one was fine for my needs.

Later that day when I registered, I paid 800 rupees for two nights. That afternoon and evening I went on a camel ride, and when I got back Guru, one of the two brothers who run the Renuka (and the Ratan Palace right down the block), came up to me and said that it wasn't right to charge me for that day since I hadn't gotten there until 5:00 a.m. I thought it was fair, since I used their bed and hot water, but he insisted, and refunded 400 rupees.

I left the next day on a bus back to Jodhpur to catch a train to Ahmedabad. Guru arranged my bus ticket, and everything went smoothly. I checked out about 10:00 am (an hour late, with again no extra charge), and they let me hang around the lobby, using their electricity to write a bunch of emails on my netbook. I also had the use of the rooftop restaurant and a bathroom on the second floor.

Sunny and Guru run both hotels, along with their father. They are all exceptionally honest and helpful, and the two sons in particular have good English skills. The staff is cheerful and helpful, especially a young lad named Amin, and the food in the restaurant is well-prepared and the menu expansive.

The Renuka is a budget hotel, and does not have some of the unnecessary amenities that some places do, but you get more than your money's worth and you leave feeling that you have been treated very well and very honestly. What more could you want?

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank mobycatJodpurh

Reviewed December 7, 2010

We paid 350rs for a clean, comfortable room with hot water.
The staff are really welcoming and friendly.
I recommend the top floor restaurant : we loved the thalis and chocolate lassi!
We booked the 2 night camel safari which was great but I think 1 night would have been enough! Bring a sleeping bag to keep you warm even if loads of blankets are provided.
We stayed at the Ratan palace on our way back from the safari and the room was huge and lovely for the same rate.
I would warmly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FFID
Reviewed November 23, 2010

This hotel is what a perfect budget place should be like. Brothers Sunny and Guru run a well organised business. The rooms are simple but clean. The restaurant offers 'ok' food on a comfortable rooftop terrace. The camel safaris are excellent and about the right price. But most of all, the brothers, the staff and the camel guides are friendly, honest and trustworthy. They helped us with laundry and booking train tickets too.
Highly recommended for the budget traveller - and you must do the camel safari. We did a 1nighter in the desert with around 4 hours of camel riding and it was superb. How amazing to lie under the stars in the desert surrounded by farting camels and stunning sand dunes.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elmadav
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We were really impressed with the staff here particularly Sunny who couldn't have been more helpful with helping us organise our onward travel. The hotel itself is very basic but clean, the rooftop restaurant serves lovely food and the staff are very pleasant. Would recommend booking a camel safari through the hotel too as they have their own private dune away from all the other tours. Very good value.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rachsarah
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We very much enjoyed our stay in hotel Renuka, even if we only stayed for one night. The hotel is run with great efficiency, without becoming impersonal. The hotel arranged train station pick-up at no extra charge. When we arrived at the hotel we were immediately given the key to our room, to allow us to freshen up before checking in.
When we came down to check-in we had a very nice chat with the owner, who arranged a camel safari and onward bus tickets for us (as well as a rickshaw to take us to the bus station). As we're both tall he arranged for seats in front of the bus, where there would be more room for our legs. All very efficient, but also very friendly. Not pushy. The rooftop restaurant serves great food (the normal fare, but prepared really well) and is inexpensive. What we liked very much about Renuka was that the staff was friendly, as well as the owners. This definitely wasn't the case in all hotels we staid in.

The camel safari was great. We were glad we only went for a two-hour ride, but everybody should judge for themselves how long they are willing to sit on a camel.

Hotel was relatively inexpensive (800 Rs for spacious AC room). Camel safari 550 per person (including one hour jeep ride to the dunes). It's an easy walk to the fort.

Definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JansenNl
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed in Jaisalmer for 10 days and stayed both in Hotel Renuka and Ratan palace, they are alike with the same staff. Everything went smoothly and she staff was very helpful. One of us was sick during the first days and manager offered every help he could.
We also took a one night camel safari arranged by the hotel and it went well. Well we didn't have the two blankets each that were promised, but we survived. Other than that it was good.
The restaurant serves good basic dishes and absolutely the best "banana curd with muesli and honey".

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank hanna005
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We stayed in Ranuka, last year around Diwali for 5 days, as it happened this year we repeated the experience. Great budget accommodation and very clean.
The staff is great & knowledgeable.
We paid Rs 450 per night for double room with ceiling fan & western style WC & shower with hot water.The AC is extra.
And although they run tourist agency as well, we never felt pressured to take one of their tours. Never the less they had best and cheapest choice of Thar desert tours,
Ranuka was spur on the moment decision, as the already pre booked hotel , turned us down with lousy excuse. This was choice out of LP gude book and I am so glad I took it.
We had such a good time, that this year we did come back again!
I can highly recommend this place to any traveller.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family