“On Safari with the Solanki's!”

Vinayak Guest House
Ranked #2 of 51 Bikaner B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 22, 2012

After a nightmare overnight bus journey from Jaipur, it was a pleasure to meet Jitu and his lovely family.

By his own admittance the rooms could do with a bit of a brush up but Jitu was so helpful and friendly we couldn't help but love our stay at the Vinayak.

We decided to take the one night Camel Safari which was brilliant. We'd suggest going with Jitu for the first leg of the trip as his interest and knowledge of local Eco issues and wildlife was fascinating.
Seeing the Camel convoy was one of the many stand out moments of our Indian trip.

The Safari itself was tiring but an experience not to be missed. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrissyHaringey70

Reviewed April 5, 2012

The minute I arrived, I felt at home. I was very welcomed by the lady of the house.
It was like being adopted!
The hotel is in a quiet area and you hear the birds singing in the morning...
The rooms are very clean and good value for money.
The food offerred is also very yummy
The camel safari is nicely run especialy the bird watching tour. It was also a good may to make contact with the villagers in the desert.
At this price range it was the best place I stayed in during my trip in Rajasthan.
They have a small book case where you can read books about Indian birds and wildlife.

Room Tip: The chai tea is very nice!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank LovelyOnyx
Reviewed April 5, 2012

After reading so many positive reviews on tripadvior i decided to stay in Vinayak guest house Bikaner When I arrived there, I felt like my room hadn't been cleaned at all since the previous guests.The toilet was dirty and there were pieces of paper all over the floor and my bed was very hard and made it difficult to sleep in. fitu tried very hard to sell me overpriced a camel safari but I had to meet my friends in Jaisalmer so I didn't want to do camel safari in Bikaner so he was rude to me. I also met some tourist in guest house they were not happy to do camel safari in Bikaner.I Wouldn't stay here again or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank martin45_12
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I enjoyed our stay in Vinayak - rooms are basic but comfortable. The courtyard area is good for meeting people and the family are all very welcoming. We also did the Camel safari trip with Jitu, who gave great explanations about the wildlife in the area. The food was enjoyable and sleeping outside under the stars was a great experience!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lainer83
Reviewed March 29, 2012

It's a cozy, simple place that connected us to Jitsu and his his lovely wife.

Going on a wildlife tour in the Thar Desert with Jitsu (he's working on his Ph.D. in reptiles and also knows a lot about everything else, including birds; we saw rare spotted owlets) and then taking a camel safari with his "camel boys," where we only saw a couple herding goats, was a highlight of my trip to India. Loved the non-commercial aspect of all it.

He was a wealth of information. He also recommended a couple of other birding areas I loved!!!!! Saw thousands of demoseille cranes from a rooftop - an experience I'll always remember!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marcia S
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed in Desert Vinayak guest house in Bikaner as it was recommended by the lonely planet. I was very disappointed as the guest house wasn't what it seems to be a what was written in the reviews.Rooms were not clean bed covers were dirty.owner of guest house Jitu tried hard to sell camel safari or jeep safari . food was good

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
10  Thank peter m
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed here and it was easy to meet people in the common garden in the middle. Rooms are basic but nice. The family make you feel very welcome and Jitu provided us with tips of the area. We lost a key to the lock of one of the rooms and he was super relaxed about it all- I know of other hostels we've stayed in where that would have been a lot of drama but he just dealt with it all really calmly.
We booked a camel safari when we were there for one night. Loved it as it was quiet a different experience for me. Jitu was great as with his background and his passion for wildlife he explained a lot to us that I don't think we would have got with other trips.
Word of warning- per person you need a minimum of 6 bottles of water per person for 2 days. We ran out with only 5 bottles as the weather peaked unexpectedly which made the last few hours in the desert slightly uncomfortable. The camel boys took great care of us there.
would book or stay here again

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends