“Fantastic Boutique Hotel at very affordable price!”

Hotel Bhairon Vilas
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Bikaner
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed in the Heritage Suite for my birthday, amazing room with incredible decor which you only see in palaces and mansions. We paid $35 a night I think, not including breakfast.

The building itself feels like a palace and the heritage suite is right at the very top of the building overlooking Bikaner's Fort.

Service at the restaurant is poor and the restaurant is always empty. I don't trust restaurants that are empty, I can't imagine the food would be very fresh considering the footfall.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Bhairon Vilas

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I'm a pretty easy-going customer usually, and rarely write negative reviews, but I'm making an exception in this case.

The lowlights of the stay include:

- turning up to find they had no record of my booking, made directly with the hotel via e-mail 2 months in advance

- getting to my room to find that there was no towel or toilet paper (when you're paying 3000 rupees per night, that's pretty much expected, and given that I had just been on a long train journey, was very smelly, and was suffering from Delhi belly, the towel and toilet paper were needed as a matter of urgency). When I went downstairs to point this out, I was assured that they would be sent up to my room immediately. They weren't. I had to go downstairs a second time (my room was right at the top, so this was a pain, and I was getting desperate for the toilet). 3 hours after check-in, the towel and toilet paper appeared.

- the floor in my room was covered in streaks of dirt, as was my bathroom (in India this is standard for cheap hotels, but not in this price bracket usually)

- the swimming pool had not been cleaned in several days - this much was clear from the enormous number of large, dead invertebrates floating in it

- I was being picked up for a camel safari at 6am (it was important that we left on time as the other couple on the safari had a 9:30am train to catch), I told them this and asked whether I would be able to have breakfast at 5:45am. The manager said that he would arrange this with the restaurant staff. That evening, I checked, and the waiter said he had been told 6:45am. I said that no, I would be long gone by then, and gave him the correct time. He promised that this would not be a problem, and took my order for the following morning, saying that it would be ready at 5:45 when I came down. Was it ready? Was it b@llocks! In fact, the restaurant wasn't even open at 5:45. After hammering on windows, I managed to find the chef, who said that the waiter wasn't in yet, so he couldn't serve me breakfast. I gave up!

- I also said that I would need to check out before 6am. They said that this would be possible, and that there would be someone on the front desk. There wasn't. I had to leave the money on the front desk, unattended, and given that they never took my passport, or filled in any check-in paperwork at all, I suspect that that money went into someone's pocket!

The most rubbish hotel - they have a reputation for dreadful customer service, as the ex-maharaja family that own it are always abroad, and no-one there appears to care.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cat_Downie
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Beautiful building, almost a castle. Very impressive place. Large bathroom, good shower, ok room... it is clean... great garden to take a beer. No internet in the room but makes the job for one night. The bath could be cleaner. Food is ok. 3.5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank zigeyez
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is an ancient Rajasthani haveli, with sprawling lawns, fountains, swing, temple, all inside the courtyard. There was a huge cage full of lovely birds. The steps were very steep, so we took two double rooms at the ground floor. You can climb upstairs from where you can get a view of fort.
We stayed in the room which has been used for film 'I am Kalaam'. The rooms were beautifully decorated with tapestries. It seems you are transferred back in time to ancient Rajasthan. Everywhere, there were photographs of ancestors who lived here. The present owners of the haveli stayed in the building next to the hotel. Bathrooms are huge but have a ancient design which is a novelty. There were a few stone steps that went upto the bathtub. You had to get down into the tub very carefully, as one slip could cause a severe fracture - not recommended for old people. A young artist sells very fine miniature paintings. But those were too expensive. Breakfast at the lawn was excellent. Lunch and Dinner was excellent too with both veg and non-veg. All staff were very courteous. Out of them Umesh is the best. He brought us Kulfi from the best kulfi shop in town which is very near to the villa. This villa is used for film shooting often as we found out the day we were leaving - all film equipments are bring positioned. Overall a satisfying experience

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dipantalukdar
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Nice building but it is not well kept. Very poor service. Sheets, towels and pillow-covers were very dirty. We had to ask three times to even get pillow Pool was very warm, and there was a really terrible smell in the pool and garden area. It seemed that behind the wall there was a lot of garbage (maybe even meat?) rotting in the sun. We planned on staying two nights but left after one night.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Susanne1806
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked this hotel for a one night stay in Bikaner (June 2013). When you visit a third world country it's all about managing your own expectations. Especially in rural areas you won't find the standards you are used to from Europe, the States or any other place in the western world. However, this place was "special". Although we left a note that we might arrive late (we departed from Delhi for Bikaner in the late afternoon) and the guys at hotels.com ensured me that a three stars rating includes a 24/7 reception, we were left knocking on their door for about an hour at 01:30 am. The room we got was pretty crowded (lots of cockroaches, geckos, etc. in the room; we could not use the bathroom either because ants (tens of thousands of them) build their nests in all the sinks) and AC did not work. The sheets and pillows were so dirty that we had to use our sleeping bags instead of the beds. Overall, a very bad experience. Maybe we were given this particular room to punish us for the late arrival - otherwise I can't see why other people here actually recommend this place.

Room Tip: Well, the best advice might be to look for another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PrivateJ0ker
Reviewed June 13, 2013

One of the coolest hotels we stayed in during our trip to India. Fantastic eclectic bar-we spent some time there and the equally eclectic foyer. Enjoyed my two nights here very much. Spacious room. Lovely staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends