Mayfair Lagoon
Pal Heights(Bhubaneswar)
$76
$66
Priceline
All reviewsnakli dhabavintage carsshiva templeevery cornerwater bodieschinese restaurantexcellent resortmama miajogging tracktable tennisswimming poolrooms are hugeon displaybeautiful propertyeastern indiaplace to stayluxury hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 5, 2012

The best points for this hotel : the stunning lagoon location - I was lucky enough to stay in a room with an over the lagoon balcony - highly recommended. The rooms are enormous, really almost like suites, and very well equipped. The chinese restaurant is highly recommended. The quirkiness of the gardens and eclectic collection of objet d'art ( and various bits and pieces that could never be called object d'art - you'll know them when you see them!) all make for a fascinating stay.
On the downside, oh my goodness, service is mixed, english is not always consistently spoken, breakfast service is hit and miss, lunch service is usually a miss. But if you can take that in your stride, I do think it's worth a try, and I would return for a short holiday. To risk stating the obvious, this place is on a lagoon, so there will be lots of mosquitoes - take lots of repellant and insist on having your room sprayed.

Room Tip: A room over the lagoon is really worth it if you like nature, I had a giant kingfisher in residence on a branch right next to my balcony. But keep that door closed to stop the mosquitoes getting in!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We recently completed a one week stay at the Mayfair Lagoon and found it to be a very pleasant place. Our rooms were spacious, though a little dated, and the private porch outside by the lagoon was wonderful for reading a book or just sitting and contemplating. The staff were pleasant, and I would like to call special attention to the young lady who sits in the desk in the front of the lobby, as well as the waiter who brought us our beers every night by the pool! Though there were no restaurants/shopping in the immediate neighborhood (besides those on the hotel premises), it was very easy to get a motorized rickshaw by going out the main entrance, and then turning right towards the lights of the Mayfair's "roadside dhaba." A ride into town for dinner or shopping was never more that Rs 100.

The hotel grounds themselves are a riot of different elements, including thai bhuddist art, fiberglass crocodiles and kitschy western decorations. The trees in the lagoon make for a very pleasant atmosphere that makes you forget that you are in the middle of a small Indian city. The breakfast at the quite pleasant Teapot restaurant was quite good.

The next time that I am in Bhubaneswar, I will again stay at the Mayfair!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

It is probably the best place to stay in Bhubaneshwar. The property is extremely well kept by any standard. Careful attention to detail is evident.

> Overall architecture and layout of the hotel is nice. There are small areas along the lobby, small courtyards with sofas. These places serve well for discussions and informal meetings
> Rooms are spacious with balconies. Most rooms face the trees or the pool and are insulated from other activity areas like the tennis court, joggin track
> The property is lined with splendid artifacts and statues. A treat for the discerning !
> Buffet breakfast is sumptuous with lot of variety.

> Lack of clear instructions regarding timings for use of facilities like swimming pool, pool table, table tennis. Also, for the number of guests, they should add a few more tables for playing pool and TT.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Given the reviews listed below I suppose I should be expressing gratitude for the privilege of getting a room at all...given the influx of corporate guests at the time and a 'very important and powerful minister's impending visit' my request for the manager to accompany me to the room originally allocated to my wife and I...to witness first hand the stench of urine in the bathroom, mouldy sealant and deep soiling of the bath and walls was not forthcoming. I wouldn't expect this level of ambivalence in a two star establishment let alone the Mayfair Lagoon that I was, perhaps mistakenly, informed to be a five star resort. The truth is, the very room which is designed for guests to clean themselves was despicable.

I was equally disgusted at the manager's reluctance at inspecting the room having brought the matter to his attention. Thankfully the relationship manager accompanied me back to the room and having entered the bathroom made a hasty retreat clutching her nose. Despite her feedback the management still made no effort to visit the room with me to see first hand the poor condition of the room. I couldn't believe the level of disinterest. This was very disconcerting and having checked out of our previous hotel just moments before, we had very little choice but to accept the alternative room one flight of stairs above.

The room is possibly used less than the other rooms since decor appeared dated. We were tired and it was the day before our flight out of Odisha so settled for the room provided despite when asked what I thought of the room my response was 'its better than the first room we were expected to stay in'.

The king-size bed was comfortable.

That night we decided to dine at the 'Tea Pot' as suggested by our guest they were not in a position to provide al-a-carte within a reasonable time. We therefore had the buffet @ Rs1k + taxes (£12each). We were shown to our table and my wife was asked if we preferred still or sparkling water - she chose still. It was disappointing to see a charge for this made to our bill. The buffet included beverages including alcohol. When I queried this the waiter said 'packaged mineral water was chargeable!' He pointed towards the seal explaining what 'packaged' meant. I was bemused by this since I wasn't aware of any establishment in the world where a broken seal was acceptable. To add insult to injury we had not ordered the mineral water. Even our guest thought it was unfair. This was principally wrong.

The following morning I brought this to the attention of the manager on front desk who's response was: I've already printed the invoice and it would be a lengthy process to change. I paid in full and requested the disputed amount be paid to a charity of the hotel's choice. On the whole I was not impressed with prevalent attitudes or condition of property. To clarify, the staff were polite and courteous at all times. You are greeted from the outset by security staff with a smile and are served a glass of orange juice upon arrival in reception. The intention of ex-parliamentarian Dilip Ray, founder of the Mayfair group of hotels to create an oasis with spa treatment room, themed pubs, eateries and landscaped gardens is deserving of praise. Regrettably his vision falls short of international standards. I plan to revisit Mayfair Lagoon with a view to restoring my faith in reviews posted on TripAdvisor as well as in the establishment which proclaims to be the most beautiful luxury resort hotel in Bhubaneswar. I will post my observations along with pictures accordingly.

Room Tip: Ask to inspect the rooms before acceptance/signing.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Filmmaker_AR
Reviewed March 27, 2012

As I say this, I would like to say that I travel to Bhubaneswar often in a year, for corporate meetings as well as with my fiancee and family.
Last time, I traveled on a corporate meeting for MAX LUBRICANTS in Convention and stayed for 3 days in Lagoon.Hence, I would like to say that whether you are traveling for business or to relax and enjoy, MAYFAIR LAGOON( not Convention), is the place..Any reasons for that..Yes, I do have enough..

" Posizione Perfecta - "It is an apt place to get rid of stress and enjoy the tranquility of nature. The serenity of this place helps in relaxing and cherishing the peaceful moments."
This city is generally warm and humid throughout the year, and if you are a specially a non-regular traveler you would soak to the limits. This is where, Mayfair Lagoon is good. Perfect Location that's spread across acres of lush greenery around lagoon and makes you almost in an oasis. Nice pool along with turquoise blue lake and the green coconut trees enrich it further...makes the surrounding much more scenic. As well as, the Vintage 1940 aircraft is a good artifact in the Resort. Even, stayed on the same star Hotels in Bhubaneswar, but this was the far distantly best.

"Food was Good.
There are numerous tastes and cuisines to choose from , as I say, The Italian Bakery 'Mamma Mia' has some enticing snacks and the Golgappes, was the best of the entire town.
Second, is the Nakli Dhaba, with its good picturesque of a Dhaba and music shows every evening, offers varied and delicious Indian cuisines. I often visit Nakli Dhaba, when I go to Bhubaneswar. Not every item will appeal to all tastes, but enough choices so there's an appealing selection to choose from on future visits.
Third, is the Lemon-Grass Restaurant which offers authentic Chinese and Thai food without interpreting with The Indian ones.They were consistent, every dish tasted nearly the same each time it's ordered. Chinese restaurants are often deficient in this regard. The atmosphere, is very quiet and the ambiance and decor make you feel ROYALE.
Also, there is a good Coffee house inside the resort."

"Service..Well to be true, not the best of Hospitality considering the gradation of the Hotel and the other great features, however, the staffs of the Restaurant were better trained than the room service guys!! The restaurant staffs were pleasant and quite observant."

"Decor as I say., The rooms are spacious and well furnished,maintained,comfortable. There is a spaced lounge front of the pool which has books,DVDs which one can take and watch in the comfort of one’s own room.
As of entertainment, I would say , that there is a okay discotheque beside the Lagoon , where you can shake you legs, and also a well stocked bar inside the lagoon , where you can knuckle your throat out, However, as I was traveling with my uncle as well, Hence, never went.
As most if the time, i travel on business tours, hence i am offered at a cut out tariffs, however, MayFair is a choice too for a budget-conscious traveler. You can choose among
different categories from the standard and classic rooms being on the smaller side to the Superior Suite or Villa, a must.
Yes, keep in mind about the taxes levied as in the end, they all are accounted for!...Ask about all the taxes at Check-in if you have any concerns. There is no doubt that the tariff is on the higher side, however, the price is the same as in some other Premium hotels in Bhubaneswar. The smart choice is that you are availing the luxury and the sublime beauty of everything , even if you are not on a bay or on a mountain range either...
Hence, if you gonna have the money, just go for it..YOU SHALL RETURN FULFILLED..

Room Tip: Chose Superior Suite, if you have the money,and refrain from food room served, rather go in and enjoy the ambiance of Nakli Dhaba and Lemon-Grass..
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business