“A great place to stay in Orissa”

Trident, Bhubaneswar
Ranked #2 of 57 Hotels in Bhubaneswar
Hertford, United Kingdom
“A great place to stay in Orissa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel was outstanding both in terms of calm well appointed luxury, and unbelievably attentive service.

The hotel was a calm oasis of polished marble, beautiful light fittings, carpets and sculptures that set the scene for the sight seeing at the nearby local temples. It is also set in delightful gardens.

It was quietly efficient, the food was good, the swimming pool exquisite, but above all the service from the staff was outstanding. It would suit both business travellers and the discerning tourist. Whilst not in the super super delux category of some of the palace hotels we have stayed at, I would not hesitate to recommend it as a first class hotel with the warmest most attentive service we received in India.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are good as they are built with views of the lovely gardens, but the suite we staye...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Trident-Bhubaneswar, General Manager at Trident, Bhubaneswar, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for your sharing your feedback.

I am very pleased to know that we were able to make your stay with us a memorable and a comfortable one.

Our team indeed is our strength and we are proud of them. Positive feedback from discerning travelers like yourself only motivates us to continue to perform better and better for all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you and your friends to our hotel in the near future.

Vishal Pathak.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,126 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was staying at a Trident after a long time. Having experienced the luxury of Trident Gurgaon and Bombay, this Trident comes as a dampner. The hotel itself is more on the sedate side, and I like it that way. It has understated elegance with a quiet ambience that is very soothing once you drive into its gate. You will not find a busy lobby or public areas. Even when the restaurant was busy at breakfast time, the lobby and the rest of the hotel seemed very empty. Part of the reason is that the rooms are spread out over a sprawling area, and there are no elevators.

The car I had requested for pickup from the airport did not show up, and even after waiting for over half an hour and been assured every 5 minutes on the phone that it was on its way, it never materialized. Finally I had to find my own way to the hotel late in the evening in a new city. It was not a promising start. However, as soon as I reached the hotel, I was greeted by the GM ( I had asked for this) who immediately apologized, accepted the hotel's mistake, and did not give any excuses. In the hospitality industry, this is what distinguishes a good hotel from an average hotel. I was seething with anger as I reached the hotel, and within minutes I was cocooned in the President's suite with a bottle of wine waiting there. It was a genuine gesture on the hotel's part accepting their mistake and immediately making amends for it. Hats off to them.

We had 1 dinner, 3 breakfasts and 1 room service dinner. With the exception of the room service dinner, the other meals were disappointing. This was particulary so, having experienced the culinary delights in Gurgaon and Bombay. The breakfast in fact was pathetic in spite of the service staff's best effort. There was no fresh juice as part of the buffet, and when it was requested, it came diluted with water. I cannot understand why all hotels in India insist on serving water melon all year round when it is a summer fruit. The south Indian fare was particulary disappointing, almost inedible. Even though, Bhubaneshwar is not exactly in South India, south Indian fare has become standard staple all over India, and now some hotels even in Delhi get it right! What came from the kitchen in the form of upma was some strange concoction having clearly been cooked in the microwave oven. Most hotels in India are now more adept at cooking manchurian and haka noodles than idli / dosa. A sad state of affairs.

On Christmas eve, when we went to the restaurant for dinner, we were told it is only open for fixed price dinner at Rs. 3,500 per person. No, this is not a typo! And yes, this was in Bhubaneshwar! We laughed all the way back to the rooms and ordered room service, and had a very satisfying meal of soups and pastas and cake. I found it very ironical that in a city where we were turned away from the Lingaraj Temple, because we were not Hindus, people were celebrating Christmas and willing to pay a king's ransom for the privilege of doing so. Such are the contradictions and hypocrisies prevalent in India.

Lastly, Trident along with its other Indian brethren (the Taj and Oberoi groups) still maintain a 20th century mentality by treating internet as a luxury and charging for it. They all seem to be oblivious to the fact that internet has long become an utility like water and electricity. Perhaps they should find ways of charging their guests for these as well.

Cheers,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Trident-Bhubaneswar, General Manager at Trident, Bhubaneswar, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

At the very outset please accept my sincere apologies once again for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us. Let me assure you that all the issues have been taken up with the seriousness that they deserves and corrective action has been implemented to avoid such incidents.

It was a pleasure meeting you during your visit to Bhubaneswar. May I request you to look at these in isolation and not let it mar your overall impression of our hotel and its services. Please rest assured we do aspire to give the best accommodation, food and service to all our guests. I am happy to note that you liked the quiet ambience and the elegant décor.

I invite you to experience our hotel once again for you to see the changes yourself during your next visit to Bhubaneswar. You may write to me directly on vishal.pathak@tridenthotels.com

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights on 20th and 21st Dec 2012. Our Stay was great! It was my husband's birthday on the 21st Dec hence when i informed the Hotel, they arranged for an exotic white chocolate cake, a big bouquet of roses and a huge card!! I was extremely delighted!
The staff at this hotel is very warm and friendly!
The only problem with this well kept hotel is the swimming pool. The depth of the pool is 7 to 8 feet and as we were not well trained swimmers we were stuck to the corner of the pool. It is alos not child friendly for the same reason.
The hotel even provided us with an infant cot which was of great help. We had a wonderful stay overall. Piyush at the Front Office helped us in a great way by making our stay extremely smooth and pleasant!

Room Tip: All rooms are extremely quite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Deepti81
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am extremely pleased to note that our team lived up to your expectations and was able to make your husband's birthday a memorable one. It has always been our endevour to exceed our guest's expectations.

Our pool though deep is quite safe as we have a trained life guard throughout the time it is in operation.

We look forward to your family's next trip to our hotel.

Vishal Pathak.
world traveller in Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Great hotel located in Orissa/Odisha. Rooms are relatively large, but you may get some noise from your neighbors. All rooms overlook a garden, whilst the corridor overlooks the swimming pool. Breakfast is good, with all kind of western or indian food available.

Service is very friendly. People are kind, and willing to help.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the quiet garden, so there is no/little noise from traffic.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am pleased to learn that you had a comfortable stay with us and liked our breakfast buffet spread. I have noted you comment about the noise from other rooms, I will look into this issue. We look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights on business. Hotel is in very well tended grounds. Hotel is airy, modern and is basically a quadrangle with swimming pool in the centre. There is a small gym equiped with running, cycling, rowing machines and weights stations/free weights. There is a small business centre. WiFi is available, but is chargeable. I think it was around 135rupees for 30 minutes. Location-wise the road noise is minimal due to hotel being in grounds. There is a running track around the grounds. Room had tea/coffee making, flat screen TV, free water, a minibar, good shower etc. Laundry service with next day return or same day return at extra price (2x). Food was excellent. Staff were very friendly and accomodating.

There is a bar, which was again quite airy. It had a pool table in the corner.

Hotel has around 65 rooms? We were a conference, and used 40 of them. The meeting room was quite full for 40+ people but other than this, was perfect. Didn't venture outside the gates other than in a taxi/coach.

Room Tip: Room 134, ground floor, looks out over grounds (due to design, think all even numbered rooms do same...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MTBSteve11
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this forum.

I am pleased to note that our team was able to meet your expectations and ensure that your conference was a success. I have communicated your feedback to our team. It is encouraging to receive such positive feedback as it drives us to achieve higher standards.

Looking forward to your next visit.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

i stayed here for 3 days in JUNE"12 ,rooms are good but i found cockroaches in cup boards,small insects were there in toilet,typicall rlystation /public toilets insects,and surprisingly the choice & menu items on the breakfast table is horrible,you need a hammer to break idly into pieces,other items are also not good

Room Tip: all rooms location is good but badly maintained
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Trident-Bhubaneswar, General Manager at Trident, Bhubaneswar, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am disappointed to learn that your experience at our hotel was not up to your expectation and have shared your feedback with our team. I can assure you that the required corrective action has already been taken in this regard.

I apologize for the inconvenience and request you to look at this in isolation and not let it mar your overall impression of our hotel and its services. Please rest assured we do aspire to give the best accommodation, food and service to all our guests.

Chandigarh, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Though at the same price, I'd prefer to stay at the Mayfair, Bhubaneswar but I had to take Trident (which is right behind Mayfair) because Mayfair was houseful.

The rooms have a retro feel to them but have all the new electric amenities. Rooms are of a good size and the beds are really cozy. The bathrooms are nice and designed well.

The in house bar and restaurant is expensive (of course, it's a five star) but it's wonderful to have a nice drink or two and then head for dinner there.

Not disappointing at all. Thumbs up!

Room Tip: Take the rooms on the ground floor. They have a nice garden at the back.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this forum.

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again. Please do write to me dircetly should you need any assistance on vishal.pathak@tridenthotels.com

Vishal. Pathak