“Nandankanan disappointed!”

and up
6-Day Buddhist and Wildlife Tour in Odisha
Ranked #2 of 79 things to do in Bhubaneswar
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Before leaving for Odisha, I had read a lot about Nandankanan...'World famous for white tigers...Don't miss the lion safari...Take a cable car from the zoo to the botanical garden...' and so on; I arrived there with a lot of expectations and excitement. Then I learned that the safari has been suspended for 2 months - August & September - every year it is suspended for 2 months for cleaning and maintenance. This bit of information was not found in any of the websites, as far as I could see! The cable car service has been permanently discontinued. I am told the botanical garden has grown into an unkempt forest for want of maintenance. Well, we had to settle down for the zoo and we hired a BOV (battery operated vehicle) to go around it. Of course we could see the white tiger and also the Bengal tiger, hippo, rhino, chimpanzee, orangutan, bear, python, cobra, etc. In the Mysore zoo we have lot more variety of animals and in greater numbers - including the white tiger! My daughter - a corporate employee - asked me "Mummy, have we come here really to see the zoo? Sounds like a primary school excursion!" Over all Nandankanan was a great disappointment to us...especially the Mysoreans! Had we gone on a safari, perhaps our impression would have been different.

6  Thank saradabhagavathy
There are newer reviews for Nandankanan Zoological Park

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Nandankanan is a very good place strategically located near Bhubaneswar. In fact now , Nandankanan is considered as a part of the city. Located on a very big area and a zoo full of various animals, birds, reptiles etc. Enticed by Botanical garden & big lake. Monday is closed.

3  Thank architectsom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The Nandankanan zoo is a star attraction of Bhubaneswar. A lot needs to be done but i am happy that they have tried to improve the conditions of late.

3  Thank adityawhatsup01
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a nice little zoo famous for its white tigers; we also enjoyed viewing the Asiatic lions, a great Orangutan, Indian peacock, and some tropical exotic birds, beside some other animals, birds, and reptiles. The amount of space within the enclosure of most animals is minimal. There is a hefty fee to take video footage and with no decent eateries around, it is advisable to carry your own food. Not sure why there are so many guides around – I have never seen or heard about zoo guides anywhere – not even while visiting such huge zoos like Washington DC, Cincinnati, San Diego or Houston zoos. I mean, zoos are meant to be leisure walks, lots of photos, food and fun and not running hastily around a guide! By the way, as far as I know, the Kolkata Zoo is the largest in Asia and not this one.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I visted nandan kanan atleast seven or eight times in my life..every time i went there i felt as thrilled as a new visitor. The ambience of the park is very lively, the variety of animals, specially the White Tigers, are the added attarction of this place. The live Tiger and Lion safari is also very enjoyable in this park. Overall a must see place near Bhubaneswar.

2  Thank arpan_guddu