“Excellent!!!!”

Baan Tao
Ranked #11 of 6,798 Restaurants in Pune
Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our very popular Oriental restaurant Baan Tao - an award-winning restaurant that serves up authentic Chinese and Thai cuisine. Baan Tao continues to receive accolades for its authentic Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese fare. Indulge in unique dining experiences, such as dim sum lunches and shabu shabu, a popular hot pot in Japan. Relax to the sounds of a waterfall in the outdoor dining area or choose from charming Thai Salas or Chinese pavilions for something more intimate and romantic.
Pune
“Excellent!!!!”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Have been just twice so far. Food is just fantastic.
Excellent place for Pan Asian food. Simply delightful.
Will def revisit soon.
Ambiance of this place is amazing as well.
Love the mini waterfall section.

• Visited August 2013
HyattPune, Food and Beverage Manager at Baan Tao, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Kirti29

Thank you for your comments posted on #TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to have wonderful comments of your experience at Baan Tao. We are really glad to know about your overall satisfaction. We certainly look forward to welcome you back with us.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your comments online.

Warm Regards

Vimal

Pune
“Excellent food & experience”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I never thought, all dim sum lunch can be as good. We have visited this place 3 times in last two months. First when we went there, we didn't know, it serves dim sum only lunch during weekdays.

We went as some friends suggested, its a good place. Once we were seated we realised, its a set menu and all what we can eat are dim sums. We went ahead thinking lets experience this. What an experience it was, amazing.

They served 15-16 types of veg and non-veg dim sums along with soups, salad and deserts. We tried almost all dim sums and loved mostly all. My 9 years old daughter now remembers names of dim sums and deserts which she liked most. We have taken 2 of our friends there post our first visit and everyone has loved it.

I have tried this restaurant even on a Sunday brunch when they have a crossover with other Indian restaurant (within Hyatt) and preparation was simple superb.

Can't wait for another lunch there. :)

• Visited January 2014
Anthony H, Manager at Baan Tao, responded to this review, January 11, 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We sincerely appreciate your compliments on our food and service. I have shared your positive comments with the Culinary and the Food and Beverage team, for whom it has been a tremendous source of inspiration.

My team and I thank you once again for your appreciative feedback and we look forward to having more opportunities to be of service to you.

Pune, India
“Pan Asian Delight!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I visited Baan Tao when I moved to Pune about two years ago. It was then a part of the Ista group of hotels and I remember even now leaving with a more than satisfying experience and conviction that I would return. Over the past two years we've been to Baan Tao several times and have also been to various banquets where Baan Tao served the food. We've never ever been disappointed.
When Ista changed hands to become a part of the Hyatt group, my first thought was : oh no! Will they shut down Baan Tao?! Thankfully they didn't and I for one am glad because it truly is iconic.

Since I have dietary restrictions I often call a restaurant ahead to check if they'll customise certain dishes so I can eat them. I do the same with Baan Tao.

We were having preventive pest control done in our new home so decided to stay a night at the Hyatt. Needless to say, a visit to Baan Tao was mandatory.

Funny fact: every time we've been to anything to with Baan Tao, Anthony Huang, the Head of F&B has always been there. And I've personally only ever seen him in a suit. But when we stepped out of the elevator he happened to be at the door in chef whites!! I was so surprised! I didn't know that he was also the Executive Chef of the hotel! Infact through the whole meal and after, I felt that he should chuck his suit and live in his thoroughly deserved chef whites!

Baan Tao is a large restaurant and has two outdoor and an indoor dining option. When you enter through the main door, you're greeted by really amiable staff and you're always given a choice of where you'd like to sit. On the immediate left is a huge waterfall and large statues ( for lack of words) of dragon fruits.... Lots of people mistake them for pineapples, as did I, till it was pointed out that they are indeed dragon fruit! This part of the restaurant is dimly lit and most of the illumination comes from these dragon fruits.
You then move into the indoor seating area which is very modern with some traditional influences. There are open "booths" which are created by long wooden shelves which are interspersed with old Chinese cloth printing blocks.... Really cool although due to these very blocks, sometimes the service staff doesn't see you if you require something and a couple of times over the years we've had to get up and wave to get their attention. However, the service is always with more than a smile.
You can then move outdoors again where they have traditional Thai seating surrounded by water bodies, very nice for groups of 6-8 people who'd like privacy.
We chose to sit indoors.

While you order drinks, they put a plate of greens on the table and three accompanying dipping sauces: hot garlic, shezwan and a cucumber relish : All three sauces were excellent.

Since we are quite regular, we asked Anthony to order for us. We just said that we'd like chicken and prawns of his creation as starters and a Chicken Hot and Sour soup split two ways.

For starters we got:
1. Chicken Hot and Sour Soup (1 x2 ) @ Rs. 325/- : The soup comes out piping hot and the USP of the soup here is that they put glass noodles in the soup! I've never had this anywhere else in a hot and sour soup. It just makes the soup more textured. The flavour is absolutely amazing and sets the tone for ones taste buds for the meal to follow.

2. Sesame Chicken @ Rs. 475/- : Perfectly batter fried chunks of chicken with a beautifully balanced flavour of sesame and chilli. An absolute must have!

3. Prawns in Butter Garlic@ Rs. 750/- : Yeah, if you're a foodie, you've probably had this many times over in different restaurants but you gotta try these... It's truly an art to cook seafood... For the prawns to melt in your mouth while the butter and garlic tingle your tastebuds is a sensation that every foodie must experience. I know I had closed my eyes several times during the meal and was happy to see that so had my companion.

Honestly we were already stuffed but Anthony insisted that he had made something for us that he'd make in his home. How can one refuse that? So out of pure greed and the excitement of trying his creation, we nodded fervently :) Bless this man, we were blown away!

He served us :

1. Chef Anthony's Special Pot Roast Chicken: The five spice is clearly the flavour that you taste but it didn't outshine the hero of the dish, the chicken. I don't know how he managed to cook this chicken! It was moist, succulent and many more such adjectives in one bite full.

2. Morning glory in a yellow bean sauce: This is something I have never ever even seen let alone eat in restaurants in India! This humble yet oh so awesome in flavour green was cooked so beautifully that we couldn't stop eating it! The yellow bean sauce was salty and there were some birds eye chillies in there which I avoided but the hint of chilli they left behind just enhanced this already stunning green. Out of sheer self restraint did I sit down as Anthony kept popping in and out of the kitchen checking on his guests, but I was at this point ready to hug this man who had fed me so well!!

3. Sticky rice @ Rs. 300/- : Cooked beautifully and was the perfect accompaniment to carry off the absolutely stunning dishes that sat before us.

As an after dinner sweet, the restaurant sends you some flavoured jujups. These are always also excellent and a very nice way to end a truly superlative meal.

We had over eaten and were so grateful that all we had to do was take an elevator ride up and pass out in food coma.

While checking out , I realised that the bill didn't include the chef's special chicken or the morning glory and I brought it to the attention of the Receptionist but he said that those two dishes were from the Chef to us. I did write in and thank Anthony as they were indeed real treats.

I may not be an authority on food but I will strongly urge you to go to Baan Tao to try superlative food with a very serene ambiance.

• Visited October 2013
Anthony_Hyattpune, Manager at Baan Tao, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have been of service to you. We are grateful for this opportunity.

Thank you for sharing such a fantastic review on Trip Advisor. Your time and praise is overwhelming and precious to us.

I have shared your gracious comments with the entire team, for whom it has been a tremendous source of inspiration

Your appreciation of our service and product is indeed heart-warming. It is truly heartening to have our efforts recognized by you in such a manner.

At The Hyatt Pune we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of service and food it is appreciation such as yours which keeps us motivated and helps us in delivering our best.

Thank you once again for your recognition and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming your family and you back soon.

Lucknow, India
“Hyatt hotels gives you stay and food worth remembering!!!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Marvelous ambience,excellent services and customer friendly staff, the food is delicious.... Simply loved it!!

• Visited September 2013

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Super yummy food & great ambience”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This place absolutely serves the best oriental food in town. The restaurant is split into 3 sections, each of them having a character of their own. My personal favourite is the section right by the waterfall which is dimly lit & has a very soothing feel to it. The service is warm, quick & very effecient. Their dimsums are to die for. Since i was staying at the hotel & eating alone, they even offered to give me a single plate containing of all their specialty dimsums just so that i can sample a variety rather than eat an entire plate of the same type. All in all, a must visit if you want to have a great evening, eat good food & sit in a jazzy place.

• Visited July 2013