“Best in Pune”

JW Marriott Hotel Pune
Ranked #3 of 219 Hotels in Pune
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Pros:
- This is the best business hotel in Pune, hands down. The main rival for best, the Westin, is almost as good but not quite, on all fronts
- Rooftop bar is fantastic and unique
- Rooms are huge, very well appointed, super clean, with great beds, a good layout. Overall, rooms are exceptionally good
- The common parts are very nice and new, including the pool area

Cons:
- The restaurants are very good, but are not as good as at the Westin - both the Indian and the Italian
- Service is an issue, like almost everywhere in India. Here is probably better than most places so probably should not even be a con. However one thing I find particularly irritating of this one hotel is how obsessively present members of staff are. Obtrusive is the word. Almost comically so. I had a waiter once try to snatch a wine bottle from me to prevent me to pour it myself. I was once walking around the pool, swimsuit on, some bloke literally runs to me and asks: "can I help you, sir?" - to do what... jump into the water? As you walk into the lobby, at least three or four people come to you to greet you each time, simultaneously. Whenever you are walking in a common part it seems there's an entourage of people following you and demanding interaction by asking you constantly if you need help. OK this is India and it's like this everywhere, but I do find the Marriott Pune particularly so, which is stressful.

On the whole, this is a great hotel, one of the best Marriotts I have stayed in, and I would not stay anywhere else in Pune.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was a great, modern hotel that has every amenity that you would want for business. The service was good and the food was even better.

This hotel is probably best for business and single travelers. The bathroom is very modern and the shower/bath is very luxurious with the waterfall shower head. However, the doors to both are glass.

And there is only a sliding door to the bathroom with no lock. So someone could very easily open the door and see you on the toilet or in the shower. while that might be unlikely, it doesn't allow for someone to take a shower, and another person to brush their teeth. Not a huge deal, but if you are a family of 4, i don't know if you want this arrangement.

The wifi was complimentary if you are a marriott member. Becoming a member is simple and costs you nothing. I thought that was a nice touch.

The lobby is very nice and the drivers are top notch. There was one guy named Sudhir who was so helpful and incredibly patient. I would hope that the managers give him a raise or at the very least let him know that he is a great representative of Marriott.

The breakfast at spice was wonderful. American and indian food was great. One morning my mother casually asked about a dessert that she had as a child growing up in india. Overhearing the conversation, one waiter went to the kitchen and had it made specially for her and the chef came out to discuss. A really nice way to feel appreciated.

It is odd that the hallways are so stuffy. The rooms do not suffer the same problems and are quite responsive to the temperature that you set.

Lastly, there is a prominant business man in Pune who owns the Westin, I believe. He had his daughter's engagement party at the Marriott. I think that says a lot about the quality of this hotel if a very rich hotel owner is willing to host his families event at the marriott versus his own hotel.

I would definitely return to this hotel next time I am in Pune.

Room Tip: make sure you become a marriott member or tell the desk that you are to have the wifi charges remove...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Great hotel, very good Italian restaurant, great party in Wednesday night at Miami night bar.
Helpful and very kind staff, all speak fluent English, assists with anything required.
Room is big, well equipped.
The shower room is the highlight with very big shower and bath, great stream of hot water

• Stayed: July 2012
PuneMarriottHotel, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Pune, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to give us your valuable feedback.
Our associates are delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed our services.
We sincerely look forward to extending our hospitality to you in the future once again.

Warm regards,
Jatin Khanna

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We arrived at the Marriott in Pune and we were greeted like we were royalty. We had two suites that provided commanding views over the City of Pune. The staff was incredibly friendly, accommodating, and eager to please. We used the spa for services and that was also excellent, relaxing, and clean. The hotel is an oasis -- truly. We had a driver who took us to some sights we would never have found or known on our own. One was a temple carved into a rock and really an interesting site. The other was the Palace of Agakhan -- worth seeing not only for its beauty but also because of the fact that it was the place Gandhi and his wife were held under house arrest. The site is a memorial to him. We told the driver from the Marriott that we saw the Dhobi Ghat (laundry area) in Mumbai. He immediately took us to the one in Pune -- much smaller, but he showed us that the City of Pune has one also. The restaurant was fantastic (Spice Kitchen) with their breakfast buffet and their lunch menu. We loved the Marriott in Pune and we would highly recommend it!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Jatin K, General Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Pune, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to give us your valuable feedback.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at Pune Marriott Hotel and found the rooms, Spa and food and beverage services up to your expectations. I am also pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed the sights of Pune and look forward to welcoming you once again in the future.

Warm regards,
Jatin Khanna

Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was my first time to Pune, India. I did not put much expectation to this trip since it is a 2nd tier city. My first impression was made when I arrived at the domestic airport. Greeted by a friendly staff, smooth transfer to hotel. Hotel was located near Pune University area. A big hotel with 6-7 restaurants. Breakfast was great at Spice Kitchen, tried almost every restaurant in this hotel and overall comments was good.

Front office staff was friendly, overall hotel staff looking for opportunity to do a little extra. Rooms are big and well equipped. Marriott bedding is always comfortable as usual. This time I have a chance to try Quan Spa on the 2nd floor, it was great and impressive.

Hotel top floor has a open deck bar, view and atmosphere was great with night lights. Opposite the hotel is a department store selling clothes. Not much around that area, should you wish to go visit Pune Station area, it is 30 mins away.

Overall it is a great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bonbon1399
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I was attending a conference here in Feb 2012, ans found the Hotel just had nothing homely about it. It was a Pure business hotel and had no heart. The Convention center was nice, but the food and the service there was just average. The rooms were just okay, nothing to write home about. Over all, my experiece, when compared to other Hotels was just ok. The Buffet Breakfast too was shabby, the dinner was passe, the gym was too professional and was not like my egular happy place to got to.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Arjun V
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Was at Marriott for a convention,had nice stay and enjoyed my stay over there...spa and gym fascility were too good and upto mark.
will suggest everyone travelling to pune to stay at marriott hotel,loved the buffet breakfast at the hotel.
rooms were clean and staff made are stay comfortable

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business