“Tasty but dangerous!”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Food:
The seafood here is so highly recommended that I visited it for the 7th or 8th time last weekend.
But once again - after a finger-licking finish, my friend and I had upset tummies.
The fish & prawns aren't the culprit, though - we both are highly allergic to added MSG (aji-no-moto) which they seem to be using in abundance.
Pity they have to resort to these dangerously unhealthy tactics - so much potential there!
Service:
Very mediocre and indifferent.
Ambiance:
Crowded, loud, smelly (fishy), dirty linen, too brightly lit. No chance of a relaxed dinner with a pal. Just 'khaao & jaao' (eat & go).

There are newer reviews for Nisarg

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Taste of Sea food is amazing. This is value for money quality with good hospiality. If you like to enjoy veriety of sea food then have a food at Nisarg

1  Thank Gauree2014
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nisarg`s seafood is the best i ever had , the ambience , the staff , the fresh sea food .
Place like Pune which is far away from sea side , i didnt expect the food to be that fresh but it was and the taste was awsome specially Prawns garlic , Pomfret and many more .......

1  Thank Nanbhag
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is the place to go if you are a sea food lover.. went for their lobster festival. Slightly heavy on your pocket.. the smallest lobster was 1600! But it was cooked to perfection. The fish fry was however high on salt. The rest of the dishes we ordered were relly good.

1  Thank abirapune
Reviewed November 19, 2013

When a chef I highly respect recommended that I try Nisarg for its awesome seafood, I couldn't not try it now could I? We had a couple of our close friends from Bangalore visiting us over the weekend and since they love spicy seafood we decided to try Nisarg.

Situated just off Karve Road, for us, this was quite a trudge but the foodies in us braved the drive and arrived there for lunch on Saturday afternoon.
They offer valet parking which can be quite a handy thing as parking can be quite an issue in this area.

Ambiance:
They have a crab pool/hut at the entrance which lies dry and empty. I was worried they'd stopped serving the very thing we'd taken this drive for but as you climb the front steps to the entrance, you see that they have a big fish tank with a few lobsters and crabs in there.
The interiors say nothing about the cuisine as it's basically regular comfortable upholstered seating but the dead giveaway is the decidedly fishy smell this place emanates from as far away as the gate and the huge fish tanks that are strategically placed around the restaurant that are home to very large and thankfully, pet fish.
This is a two level restaurant and we were ushered to the upper section.

The place was practically full and we could see by the ease at which people were ordering and the staff was responding, this place has loads of repeat clientele. So far so good we thought. The service is attentive and prompt.

The menu is very very extensive but this was essentially described as a seafood restaurant to me so we decided to just focus on the separate seafood menu. The very knowledgeable and clearly old staff helped us with our choices.

At the outset let me tell you, their starters outshine their main courses and their portion sizes are more than very generous.

They serve a couple of portions of garlic sev, peanuts, onion rings and chutney whilst you're waiting for the food.

For starters, we ordered:

1. Solkadhi @ Rs. 45/- : Excellent! You get a huge glassful and it is very well balanced in flavour and consistency. One can taste how gently the flavours of kokum, coconut milk, garlic and other spices have married and the best part is it's not too thick therefore not heavy! Perfect starter for a heavy meal to follow.

2. Crab Chilli Millli @ Rs. 500/- : This is a shelled crab starter and was excellent in taste however the overpowering masala did outshine the star of the dish, the crab. I could have been eating any seafood if I closed my eyes but we knew we were eating crab only because we found several small pieces of shells whilst eating. These are actually a choking hazard! De-shelling crab can be a tedious task and often risky as the smaller pieces of shell or cartilage almost always slip in. That is why most seafood restaurants serve crab cracked, but with the shell.
The flavour of the masala was somehow Chinese tasting but with loads of Indian influence. Different from others I have tasted and definitely recommended despite the crunchy shells.

3. Prawns Ultapulta @ Rs. 395/- : We ordered the medium sized prawns as we feel they have far more flavour than king prawns. It's a personal choice. This was the best starter, taste wise but let me warn you as the server warned us - it is super spicy! We ordered this nonetheless and it lived up to it's reputation. But the spice was not from red chilies. It had a fabulous blend of various spices and black pepper was clearly the star spice. There were well cooked onion rings in the masala and they were so aptly put in the dish because the sweetness of the onions gave our tongues the much needed respite from the peppery burn. The prawns were superbly cooked and even though I couldn't eat more than one prawn due to the spice level, this dish was wiped clean in a matter of minutes.

4. Tawa Pomfret @ Rs. 395/- : Deboned chunks of superbly cooked pomfret in a tangy mildly spicy thick sauce. Very flavourful although for me and my friend, the skin on the pomfret put us off. However, we cannot fault the management as we hadn't asked them to skin the fish.

We had completely underestimated the portion sizes and spice levels and had already ordered our main courses so despite being ridiculously full, we asked for our main courses to be served. We had ordered:

1. Crab Maratha @ Rs. 400/- : One gets a choice of having this with or without the shell but my friend loves to crack the shells and fish out the meat so we ordered it with shell. The shell-less version is 100 rupees dearer.
We were very disappointed with this dish. The gravy was clearly not given enough cooking time because the flavours had not developed and one could taste the rawness of the masala. The crab was a small sized one and basically halved. We were four people on the table and the thought of now having to further halve the crab was daunting so we literally tried the gravy and had it parcelled. I decided I'd take it home, remove the crab and let the gravy simmer for a while. I did just that and it tasted waaay better.

2. Prawn Konkani Red Gravy @ Rs. 425/- : Again, same problem, infact this gravy was worse as one could taste raw chilli powder. I didn't think I could salvage it but I did once I brought it home. Pity really as the flavour, once developed was pretty good!

3. Chicken Multani (half) @ Rs. 340/- : When we saw the portion, we were really grateful that the server had suggested that we order half a portion. Trust me, the portion was huge! It looked so good and the flavour was outstanding. It tasted very Mughlai really and almost meaty... Not spicy at all but such a good texture and the balance of the sweetness of the onion gravy to the various spices was pure magic. This oddly enough, in a seafood restaurant, was the best main course.

4. Steamed Rice: Again, HUGE portion. They offer half versions too but we thought we'd need at least 1.5 portion for the four of us. The server himself came and told us that one portion would be sufficient and he was right! Infact, we barely touched the rice we were just so full!

They serve you a very different tasting sweet saunf at the end of the meal and it is desperately needed to digest both the spice and the heavy food you've just consumed.

Would I go back to Nisarg? Well, yes because Poona doesn't really have a good stand alone seafood restaurant of this standard. They also have a decent bar.
Have I had better coastal seafood elsewhere? Yes! For sure and for far less - price wise. One pays extra for the comfortable seating and air conditioning at Nisarg. For far cheaper rates but far less comfortable seating and ambiance you'd get much better seafood elsewhere.

1  Thank soulmia