“Step 'up' to nature”
Review of Dongarmatha

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiplun
Dongarmatha
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was looking for a place to stay at Chiplun during our 10 day long monsoon road trip of the Konkan region from Bangalore in Aug 2013. Thanks to TripAdvisor, I happened to stumble upon this little gem of a place called 'Dongarmatha'. My wife and I were cautiously optimistic about this place as these days, phrases like 'eco-resort', 'environment-friendly' etc. are used as gimmicks to lure unsuspecting travellers!

All our skepticism was laid to rest once we drove up the steep road to get to the top of the hill. Abhi and Mangesh gave us a very warm welcome. This was a perfect place to stay after a beautiful drive all morning from Mahabaleshwar. The day seemed to be getting better, and we weren't complaining!

One of the first things that will strike you at Dongarmatha is the magnificent panoramic view from the cottage and the simplicity and warmth of the place. The natural light and breeze was very refreshing and seemed to stoke our hunger even more!

After a scrumptious konkan lunch with 'modaks' for dessert, we got chatting with Mangesh. His enthusiasm and passion in setting up this place was really infectious. We unfortunately couldn't get to see the sunset with the monsoon clouds hovering on the horizon. Nonetheless, it was a pleasant end to a wonderful day!

We woke up to the chirping of the large variety of bird visitors early next morning. Mangesh helped identify almost all the species. If birding is your thing, then, this place will keep you on your toes.

A quick visit to the Parashuram temple downhill and a couple of hours of trek into the surrounding forest and stream had helped build quite an appetite. We enjoyed a hearty breakfast atop the next hill (with some more beautiful views!).

We were quite enjoying the fact that we were being pampered by both Mother nature and by the staff at Dongarmatha, with food for the soul and for our hungry tummies respectively!

One of the 'must-try' things at Dongarmatha is the very refreshing herbal tea. This is Mangesh's very own recipe with a blend of local herbs and spices. I am sure that the world will hear more if this tea (named 'Vyom') in time to come.

We had to reluctantly push ourselves to take leave the next morning as we had more miles to cover. But we took with us warm memories, stimulating thoughts and made a mental note to comeback soon.

If you are looking at having a blast with loud music, party and alcohol, Dongarmatha is definitely NOT the place for you! This is where you would want to head to if you love nature, enjoy simplistic and minimalistic living and good food.

Our best wishes to Mangesh, Abhi and the entire team at Dongarmatha. Keep the faith guys and keep the good work going!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank bharatsmurthy
Abhi_Gadre, Owner at Dongarmatha, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2015

Namskar & Hello Mr.Bhaskar & Anu madam ,
I feel this is one of the best reviews about Dongarmatha! I'm replying after so long. Actually tripadvisor account was operated by my friend Abhi initially . So it remained pending .
It was so nice to have your company for 3 days. Still remember the taste of 'Rassam' Mrs.Anu cooked in our kitchen at Dongarmatha. we had a great time chatting about life, mission in life and your Travelling dreams.
Vyom's herbal tea is gaining popularity amongst tourists here. Thinking of launching it in market as well. Let's see.
Wish you great luck, health & wish you will have many such wonderful trips around the globe.
warm regards & thanks for the lovely review.
Mangesh Govekar

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Dongarmatha – Nisarg mandir ….. perfect name

Visited this place in mid july’13 with my wife. A heaven in other words. Surrounded by nature from all sides.

This place is on the top of the hill from where we can have a beautiful view of Chiplun, Guhaghar & the Vashishthi river. The different species of colorful birds, butterflies & flowers around are a simply superb. This place is a bonus for photographers….do not forget to carry you full kit with you.

The other best part of this place is the home made, delicious food. The thalipiths, the pohas for breakfast, the usals, the freash vegetables with garam garam bhakari & ukadiche modak that were server were simply wow. And yes the tea server in bamboo cups, just loved it.

There are many places to roam around. But once you reach this place, one will not fell like moving out of this place, its so beautiful.

Mangesh , Abhi, Shraddha & Vyum ( Mangesh’s son - called jhampya with love ) are so friendly. They make you feel so comfortable & like a family. And a special thanks to Anant dada & Kashi for taking such good care of each and every requirement. Love you all. Keep it up and carry on with the good work

The 3 days spend here were really too less a time. Did not feel like moving out of this place. But finally had to leave with a heavy heart & lots of sweet memories to carry. But the next plan is already made for September.

A must visit place. Do not miss it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Sanket_Kotkar

Namaskar Sanket!
still remember the endless cups of tea ( cutting chai) we enjoyed during your stay! Many people just wish to relax here without any activities looking at the setting sun or morning fog from the leaving room. There's definitely some positive energy at Dongarmatha which makes people happier.
Thanks for the review .
warm regards,
Mangesh

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Like many of us, I'm fascinated by the sheer beauty of Konkan and during my annual pilgrimage trips to Harihareshwar (Our Kuldaiwat),Shriwardhan and Dive Agar,I always dreamt of having a beach house with Mango, Cashew and Coconut trees behind a typical Konkan Home. So I was really happy to know that one of my schoolmate has gone ahead and built an ecocare guest house on a hilltop near Parshuram Chiplun.
I was very very eager to visit Dongarmatha(http://dongarmatha.com/)at the earliest but the 'clichéd' office work meant I had to wait till May end.

So finally on a short notice,very early in the morning I alongwith my son and wife left for Chiplun.I was very confidant and hopeful of covering the distance of 250 kms in 4-5 hrs. How wrong I was...Thane-Belapur road till Panvel was crowded as usual at that hour also and Mumbai Goa Highway till Nagothane was no better,this being summer vacation. Fed up of bumper to bumper traffic near Vadkhal Naka, we stopped for a Maharashtrian Breakfast at Kshudha Shanti.

The traffic continued till Nagothane after which I was able to speed up.

From here on till Khed it was a smooth n fast drive . 20km after I passed Khed,I was suppose to turn left on way to famous Parshuram Mandir before Chiplun.From the base of Dongarmatha till top was test of any driver as the climb is very steep with sharp turns and you cannot afford to lose momentum.Thankfully my old car was up to the challenge and we reached the top around Noon.
It was breathtaking sight, the moment we got down from car.The full view of the River Vashishthi on one hand and Chiplun on the other side,strong cool breeze at noon made sure that we forget all the effort of reaching the place.It was instant rejuvenation .
We were warmly Wel-comed by Mangesh and led to our Suite with a Balcony overlooking the Hill and Plantation.It was spacious and airy.Ample use of Bamboo and minimum usage of Steel n Cement made it cooler.Also the cow-dung splashed floor gave it a natural feel.Within moments we were relaxed and fresh.

A welcome drink of Raw Mangoes (Kairi Panhe) was waiting for us and we savoured it ...Our true Konkan Experience had started on a very good note.

Mangesh took us on a short sight-seeing tour of the area and we were amazed by the Vistas offered by common leaving room.One of the locals had climbed on a tall jack fruit tree to take down the fruit for us.It was a very ingenious and simple method of removing fruit w/o harming it.Mangesh was ,very enthusiastically, explaining to us the different environmentally friendly plants he had sowed,how much effort had gone into building what we have today,the road, the tents etc etc.It was fascinating. We could see how proud,and satisfied he felt about the whole thing.His single minded passion and lots of money has resulted into a beautiful eco-friendly Guest House.

By the time we came back from a exploratory tour of the place we were hungry and a simple , nutritious, hot lunch was waiting for us.The vegetables were farm fresh specially selected by Mangesh and you could tell the difference in taste. Konkans’ favorite Sol Kadhi was amazingly tasty and I lost count of how many bowls I had gulped down.
After a sumptuous Lunch, it was Siesta time,but I could hardly sleep.The nice cool breeze,good views all around was ideal for reading and I did just that.

Mangesh and Abhi had planned a boat ride in Vashishthi river in the late afternoon to see crocodiles.Meanwhile we were joined by a group of 8 trekkers who were Abhi's friends.

The Boat Ride for crocodile Safari was amazing. We could see few crocodiles resting on the river bank.There were plenty of birds flocking together, enjoying late evening sun. We seemed to have disturbed their rest as they flew with the sound of boat engine, giving us the beautiful sight of Birds in Flight.Its a photographer's delight to click .My son thoroughly enjoyed the ride and so did all of us.

By the time we were back on Dongarmatha, it was Sunset time and all the photographers took their places for the clicks.Hot masala chai with cakes quenched our thirst.But for the two telecom towers which were in the middle ,the view was splendid.
There was hardly any time for us to be bored but Mangesh had some custom made interesting Games/Puzzles for children and elders alike.It was fun solving them and some were so tricky, we could not figure out the way till end.

While the two groups were chitchatting sharing experiences , we were served with Fanas Gare (jack Fruit) .
Dinner was again a typical Konkani affair with Bharali Wangi, Zunaka and Rice Bhakari along with hot Thecha and to top it all Sewai Kheer.It was a fulfilling experience . By this time both the groups were fairly acquainted and we had dinner together in open Aangan sitting in a circle on floor.

After such a heavy Dinner, nobody wanted to sleep immediately , so Abhi engaged us in some very innovative group activity.We thoroughly enjoyed it.He had also planned for a camp fire and the other group joined him.Myself and Mangesh were trying our hand at the Telescope which he has bought ,for some star gazing.

After a while I took their leave and retired for the night but I could hear the happy voices for quite a long time.

Next day early morning few of us had decided to go for Birding. So at six, we embarked on a small walk on the backyard of Dongarmatha.We could hear the chirping of birds but were not very lucky to spot many.

Nevertheless it was invigorating morning walk. We also discovered a good place to view Sunset w/o obstruction of those Telecom Towers.

It was already Lunch time when we were back and all of us were thinking about the impending traffic while returning back home. Though nobody wanted to leave that calm and serene place,it was time to head home and resume our boring lives once again.
After having lunch, exchanging contact numbers and lots of group photos, with heavy heart and a vow to come back again for longer duration we left Dongarmatha.

By the time we reached home, the traffic,pollution and noise had us crash landing from Dongarmatha to the ground realities of life in Mumbai.

It was amazing one and half days that I spent in the lap of nature and I'm sure to visit the place again whenever time permits and in all seasons.

Thank You Mangesh for your hospitality and personal attention.It was as if we were living in our own relative's home.
All the best and Keep up the good Work!!!

Room Tip: Room near the hall have a valley and river view.