“Weekend in Aurangabad”

Vivanta by Taj Aurangabad
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Aurangabad
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed at the Taj, now renamed Vivanta. Was told I'd been upgraded when i checked in, but the room I was shown was ok at best. It was clean and comfortable, but I expect that in all rooms at Taj hotels. Nothing special. The fittings looked a bit tired. Chipped paint and tatty card signs for the door.
Beautiful gardens and pool. Very difficult to find a pool hand or anyone to take an order for food or drinks by the pool.
There was a lot of construction noise as a now restaurant is being created. I was not advised of this when I booked and it did impact upon the enjoyment. The staff were all very helpful and a lovely dinner, fish curry. The bar was closed because of the construction work.
I'd stay there again, but no high expectations. Perfectly acceptable though.

Room Tip: Higher floors looked to have a better view than me.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ColinW05

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel was recommended by our agent as probably the best of the bunch in Aurangabad even though not of a very high standard. I didn't have time to see the others so it's hard to assess the accuracy of that. Honestly the property has seen better days, but it has potential. There is an aura of the old Raj about it with nice enough gardens but sadly dehydrated. This area has had a terrible drought so it was understandable. The staff are rather too laid back for my liking and at dinner our order was forgotten, excuses made and a meal produced eventually one hour later when I simply planted myself in the dining room and threatened to go into the kitchen and cook it myself. We were sitting outside on the terrace which has potential but is badly lit.

I wanted to give it all a lick of paint and get some discipline into the staff; the building is really nice and could look super but it just hasn't been cared for. we were travelling with my 90 year old father-in-law (in a wheelchair most of the time) so would have appreciated some rooms nearer to the lift down to the restaurant!

Of course it is not in one of the big tourist areas so we can't expect too much. Our room was on the same floor as the reception. It was clean and basic but at least it had a balcony. It was opposite some steps to and from the pool so unless we closed our curtains there was no privacy. The food was adequate, nothing more although I must be fair and say that an offer to make me an Indian pancake for breakfast following the unfortunate dinner the night before was a nice gesture and was delicious (not on the menu) There were large unoccupied halls on the ground floor, presently used for storing chairs and tables etc. Some rooms had work going on in them. I have a feeling that this must have been one of the few hotels in Aurangabad at one time but has fallen on hard times. It's budget and basic; the staff need tidying up in both service and dress but perhaps the re-branding will help this in time. Of course the caves were wonderful (the reason for being there).

Room Tip: Don't have the room by the pool entrance!
1  Thank ustaza
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The family chose to stay at Aurangabad for the weekend and visit Shirdi for a day from there. On arrival itself we were in love with the Property. Good landscape and pool and we had a good time. Food at the restaurant was excellent and thanks to the Staff even specific diet needs were promptly attended.
Rooms are good with each having its own balcony and a swing . Great time for Tea and drinks there.
We also took some help in local travel and were impressed with the services. Breakfast spread is good and caters to all tastes.
Must say will visit again.

Room Tip: Try the first floor with the balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel was a wonderful. The room was large and beautiful, It was very clean, and the grounds were beautiful. The best thing about this hotel, as with all Taj hotels, was the staff. Everyone at the hotel was courteous, kind, and welcoming, From housekeeping to in room dining to reception everyone was so helpful and attentive that I never wanted to leave. The food was also very good.

1  Thank Madhuc
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I spent 3 days at the hotel (now called Vivanta by Taj, Aurangabad) in early April. The hotel is reasonably priced and is a good base from which to visit Ajanta and Ellora (as well as Daulatabad fort and some of the other histroic sites in and around Aurangabad).
The hotel has beautiful grounds with lovely trees and well kept lawns. It is quiet and secluded and is a comfortable place to come back to after spending the day one the move (it was very hot outside when we visited).
The staff are friendly and courteous and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and welcome. We asked for a (very) late check out at 3pm and the hotel staff kindly obliged. The food is nothing special, but we ate our evening meals in the hotel as it was convenient.
The rooms are large and comfortable (with superbly comfortable beds) but look and feel a little bit jaded and would benefit from a bit of a facelift. The bathrooms whilst adequate should also be refurbished and modernised.
All in all, a good hotel for the price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AB11174
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here in March 2013 with family.

The hotel was in the process of rebranding as a Vivanta, while we were there. We got what is a Premium Indulgence Room package. The room was nice and large, with a good sized balcony overlooking the pool. The bathroom was decent size as well. the shower had a small window that could be opened to look into the room....not sure why hotels do this nowadays. The room was very quiet and also the bed was very comfortable, which can't be emphasized enough, given that one tramps all around Ajanta and Ellora all day in the heat...yes, it's hot even in the Winter. Generally, it's a touch worn out but not too bad.

Our package included buffet meals at the Residency restaurant, which is becoming a Latitude (standard coffee shop name for Vivanta chain). The buffet was better than most other Taj buffets I have had before. Good choice of Indian, Chinese and "Continental". The only complaint I have is that the service could have been a bit quicker and the tables should have gotten cleaned up as soon as the previous party left...instead of leaving the unused forks/glasses on the table. We didn't eat at the other restaurant since meals at resident were free for us...but it looked decent enough with live kabab counters/etc...

The room service was also very good and delivery was on time and food piping hot.

The pool area was well kept and the attendant was very handy with towels and water. The pool could be leaned more often but the region is experiencing a severe drought, so one shouldn't complain too much,I guess. The pool is nice after a hot and long day at the caves.

Lastly, the Travel Desk: I was expecting a bit of a disappointment given that they wouldn't answer my requests for a couple of days...when I was in the process of booking....but there was no reason to be worried. The car was nice and the driver very safe and professional. Special mention to our driver Rais...he handled all very well.

Overall, it's a solid experience with good staff and decent lodging/boarding. I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor have a swing in the balcony, which may appeal to some. W were in the n...
1  Thank TooshMan
Reviewed March 29, 2013

e had been to this place for a 3 day stay in 3rd week of March. Overall we are happy with the stay only with limited options in Dinner and repetitive options for breakfast

Good points
-- Room was well decorated, maintained and clean
-- Good Garden view
-- Attentive staff - ensured every minutest request was attended to
-- Breakfast was good
-- Swimming pool is big enough and well maintained

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple