“A very good bargain; honest, helpful, and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Panchavati

Hotel Panchavati
Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Aurangabad
jodpurh
“A very good bargain; honest, helpful, and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I spent two nights at Hotel Pancahvati in Aurangab and used Ashoka Tours and travels to arrange for a ride to Ellora and other sites. The hotel was clean, the bed was far more comfortable than most budget hotels, and the staff was polite and thoughtful, particularly some of the young guys working the floors. It had the best shower I have had in a budget hotel in nearly 6000 miles of in-India travel -- plenty of hot water and a strong flow. It's near the main road from the station so it can be a little noisy at night, but I sleep through anything. Also great tv with several English-language movie channels.

Ashoka Travel and Tours is in a separate little building on-site and the owner, Ashok, does not use a hard sell or try to have you buy more than you want, His rate (off-season) for a cab (non AC) to Ellora and anything else in the area I wanted to see was only 100 rupees more than tuk tuk rates. Ashok is aware that his English is not yet very good, and he doesn't attempt to book complicated, multiple-stop train trips. It is refreshing to have a tour operator who doesn't answer every question with, Yes, no problem, when in fact there turns out to be many problems.

For budget travelers like me (and I am older, at 66) I highly recommend both the hotel and Ashoka Travel in particular. Honest and helpful, a combination you don't always find in India;

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were met at the station although our train was four hours late and it cost us nothing. The staff at reception were very polite and very helpful throughout our stay. We were very pleasantly surprised by our clean, large, comfortable room and clean large ensuite shower and toilet room. We had booked a room without air-conditioning and we stayed comfortable with a large ceiling fan and windows that opened (with anti-insect mesh). There were trees outside our room, which was at the back. We used the hotel's travel service and Mr Ashok arranged cars and trips for very competitive prices at our convenience. We enjoyed the food at the hotel's restaurant for the five days we were there. This hotel was in a different class from the other budget hotels we stayed during our five weeks in India.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel was very nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here while visiting Aurangabad to see the Ajanta and Ellora caves. The room was clean with cable tv, ac and they even had room service! The tour service downstairs, Ashoka tour and travels, was very helpful in booking taxis for us to view the caves, making it a simple and effective one stop shop for our journey. Highly recommended if you are coming to Aurangabad in order to see the Ajanta and Ellora caves.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen Region, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stay here for 2 nights. Pickup from the airport was pre booked through the hotel, 250 Rs. No problems.
There is wifi at the travel desk located next door.
The rooms facing the crossroads are extremely noisy. Make sure you book a room out to the back. The hotel is away from the center, about 20 minute walking from bus station with busses to Ellora Caves.
The rooms were very dusty, you could clearly see the broom never went under the furniture/bed.
The service is ok, the staff is helpful.
The hotel restaurant is serving good food, recommended if you do not want to go out for a meal, as nothing is walking distance in Aurangabad.
-The problem is a huge and very noisy TV going on all the time, and waiters more interested in watching TV than in serving their guests.
24 hour check out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank svend2
Pune, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

While trip around to Aurangabad we stayed here, it is very good hotel. Rooms were neat and clean. I would say best family hotel in Aurangabad. And price for AC rooms are 1000+ service tax - so it suited in my budget too.

Toilet, Bathroom were also in good condition and clean.

I had prefered AC rooms, AC were working properly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Minnesota
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,412 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I spent three days and nights in an air-conditioned room at the Panchavati Hotel while visiting the usual surrounding tourist sites (Ajanta, Ellora, etc.). This is a no-frills budget hotel in a well trafficked area of town. Check-in was very polite and easy with luggage brought up to my room (!) by the floor butler (!!). Accommodations are what I would expect: sparse but functional and clean. The bed was sleep-friendly (not too soft, not too hard) and the AC actually worked. Anything I needed (towels, soap, shampoo) the floor butler was able to obtain promptly without difficulty. Sleep quality was average even with the windows closed given that the hotel is placed near a fairly busy intersection. The on-site restaurant and nearby travel agency are both good bargains and very convenient.

I really had no major concerns with the experience at all and can think of two real benefits I gained from staying here. First, as opposed to places like the Taj Hotel in Mumbai (a fortress with airport security) in just a few minutes you can be outside on the street and experience the real city: I met kids playing cricket, flew a kite for the first time in over 25 years, and got my first straight razor shave (for 30 Rupees!!) on just the first night alone. Second, the overall above-average-but-not-superior budget hotel experience comes with an incredible price: 18$ a night!

Overall I would recommend a visit here as long as you know what you’re getting into. Those who have never stayed at a budget hotel before may find this property average at best but for us who enjoy “boots on the ground” travel it’s a great deal. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having read these glowing reviews my friend and I checked in for a night. Arriving early we were grateful to be allowed into our room which, although a bit sparse, was averagely clean-except the wasps which had congregated in our bathroom and on our balcony. Apparent from the wasps the room was fine . As we had a sleeper train the next evening we asked a manager type on the desk whether it would be okay to keep the room until we left at around ten in the evening at no extra charge, the man on the desk nodded enthusiastically and told us it would be fine. When it came to checking out on the way to catch our train we were asked to pay for two nights, confused we explained that we had discussed it the previous night and that we only had stayed one night. After the rude man on the desk explained at least 20 times that we had to pay for two nights he admitted there had been an error on the hotels behalf with regards to misinformation. Despite this he insisted that we had to pay two nights. We attempted to agree to pay half as we were late for our train, however he was unreasonable and belligerent, refusing to even call the manager. Eventually we paid but didn't receive an apology from any of the staff. I've dealt with some difficult people in my time, however his rudeness really made me question the nature of mankind.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends