“Raigad Visit....”
Review of Fort Raigad

Fort Raigad
Ranked #276 of 1,919 things to do in Maharashtra
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Visit this on 19th Oct 2013....no words for express my feelings for Raigad....

This place is a temple for Maharashtriyans....such a big fort...unbelievable architecture.

I must appreciate Jog Engineering Company for the Rope Way facility to climb on the same. Very nice place to visit. We should visit at least one time here to see how our King Was & what we are doing now.

I must stay here that our tourism department of Maharashtra is really PATHETIC that they cannot save these precious thins of Maharashtra.

7  Thank shwetamn

Reviewed November 5, 2013

As the title indicates trek to Raigad fort is nothing less than a pilgrimage for all the Maharashtrians and also the non-Maharashtrians who reside in this state. The second capital of 'Swarajya', the empire of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is indeed a place to visit by each and every Indian if one is interested to know some part of the great personality that this Maratha king possessed. Owing to my interest in Indian and specially in Maratha History, I was keen to visit Raigad fort right from my childhood days during when we just imagined the scenes from the history books. This trek gave me that opportunity to imagine those scenes practically on the site.

I am writing this review specially for those people who require guidance to travel from Mumbai to Raigad Fort.

The planning of your trek should be in the right season so that you can enjoy all the phases of the trek including photography,climate,accessibility to the place,etc.Though trekking to fort raigad is a wonderful experience in any season, I would personally recommend to plan your trek in September-end to December as during this season you can enjoy the beauty of nature at its best. This season is perfect for photography as the flowers are blossomed, mild drizzle and the mountain ranges are covered in green carpet with Raigad fort lost in mist is a heavenly experience. Avoid trekking during monsoon unless you are an experienced and skilled trekker as in the heavy downpours you wont be able to enjoy the exploration & cannot try your photography skills while the summers are too hot in Sahyadaris and demand a lot of stamina. I wanted to experience sahyadris during monsoon & at same time wanted good photoshots, hence planned my trek during September-end.
The best mode of transportation from mumbai to Raigad fort is by Road. If you dont own a vehicle (like most students), MSRTC(ST) buses are the best option anytime. You can catch any late night bus from Parel or Mumbai Central ST depots going towards Konkan(Mahad, khed, chiplun, Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg) on NH17. (Check the MSRTC website for the timetable) We took the last bus from Mumbai Central depot to Kunbheshivthar which departs from Mumbai central depot at 0030 hrs. The bus fare is Rs. 167 from Mumbai to Mahad. The roads were empty and didnt face any traffic problems on the way. We reached Mahad depot by 0430 hrs. It was a straight 4 hrs. drive from mumbai. Then we had some refreshments at mahad depot. We got bus leaving from mahad depot to raigad Fort base at 0530 hrs. The fare is Rs. 29 from Mahad to raigad Fort. Since, it was foggy with slight drizzle it took 1 hr. to reach base of the fort. You can also get 6-seater from 0800 hrs. onwards which charge you around Rs.40. We again had hot tea & bread butter at a small restaurant at the base. We chanted Jai Bhavani..Jai Shivaji to gather some mental toughness and commenced our 2 hour adventurous trek. After climbing initial few rocky patches, you can have a fabulous view of surrounding mountain ranges & we come to know the strategy of Shivaji Maharaj behind choosing this Mountain fort as his 2nd capital. We enjoyed our trek with light drizzle, cool water from waterfalls which ensured we werent tired and finally reached the Maha darwaja or Main Door of the Fort after 2 hrs. At this time its light drizzle had turned into heavy downpour due to which distance beyond 100 mtrs. wasnt clearly visible. We decided to take shelter in the King's courtyard for sometime. I was praying to Shivaji Maharaj to relieve us from the rain for sometime so that i can click some photos. And as if he heard my call, the rains stopped gradually & we began to explore the fort. You could see pinnacles of Rajgad and Torna Fort straight in the eastern direction from the court yard. As soon as you reach the court yard you can imagine that time which is a enthralling experience. It took us about 3 hours to explore all the fort (Queen's Palaces, Court Yard, Jagdishwar Temple, bazaar Peth, Shivaji Maharaj Samadhi, TakMak Tok etc.) including sufficient stoppages for clicking photos. TakMak tok was the best place of all. It just evokes the inner peace in you. We spent a good half an hour of peaceful moments on TakMak Tok through the strong winds and heavy fog. Then we had some food and energy drinks & it was time for us for the return journey as we had to return to Mumbai on the same night. At around 1245 hrs, we began to descend. I wished, I could have stayed there forever. In about 1 hrs and 15 mins., we were at the base, in almost half the time required to ascend. Once your are at the base,you can get regular 6-seater autos to travel till mahad St depot from where you can get ample of ST buses towards Mumbai almost 1 every half an hour. Food, water & shelter facilities are available on top of the fort.

I would recommend not to use Ropeway, if you want to experience the real essence of Sahyadris unless, you are physically challenged. I have witnessed an 70+ yrs old man climbing the steps of raigad like a young man.

I would also suggest you to read some books on life of Chhtrapati Shivaji Maharaj to have rough knowledge about the Fort before visiting Raigad as it will help you to understand more and relive the terrific history about this extravagant place.In all its a must visit place for at least each & every person residing in this country.
Hope this review of my experience will help you to have a better travelling and trekking experience.
Have a Safe & wonderful experience of your life..!!
Jai Bhavani...Jai Shivaji!!

25  Thank PratikTheRane
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is an excellent destination for friends and couple visit.
Best time to visit this is in Sep end to Dec.
Climate here was excellent and awesome. There is a rope way by which you can reach the fort. consider reaching the fort by minimum 12 PM( from Pune you can start around 7.00 AM to drive)
its just 140 KM from Pune. but roads are no so friendly. please carry the food to this location you may not like the food in the only restaurant at the bottom of the hill. make sure you reach the pick up of the rope way before 5.30PM. 3hours is good time and worth to spend on the fort. if you are a couple please don't invite the danger by going to remote areas at the fort.please don't take me wrong but you can enjoy nice and romantic foggy weather. I recommend this as nice one full day trip. carrying extra cloths to this location is recommended.(there may be rain on hill top)

8  Thank sivaintouch
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Amazing and Breath Taking Fort ... A pinnacle of the Maratha Empire's Prosperity !!! The Capital City of Shivaji Maharaj. This is a must visit place in Maharashtra. The Sheer Marvel and History to the place is more than enough... add to that A Trek You Got Yourself a Amazing and memorable trip.

We Started out From Thane and Headed Down till Mahad from where The Raigad Fort is 30 km of Serpentine and Bumpy Rumbler Filled Road. A Sincere Advice Take The Ropeway Up and Explore The Fort with its Spellbounding View of the Sahyadri Mountain Range. If You Can Understand Marathi and want to learn the History Take Guide [ And Make Sure Its a Licensed Guide ... We Ended Up With a Guy Who Gave Up on Us Halfway and Happily filled in on Random Cock and Bull History to the Fort !!! ]. Avoid the Weekend Rush. Plan Your One Day Trip on a Weekday ... Roam about and Enjoy the Fort to its Temple To Its Monuments. A Must Go Place on the Fort is The Tak Mak Tok -- A Clear Cut Cliff Hanger in all its Glory.

Once You Are Done With Your Fort Experience Climb Down Through Water Falls and Forest Through The Fort Ruins and It Will Take a Good Two Hours To Get Down and Pretty Tiring ... You Would Have Climbed Down 1500 Uneven Haphazardly Built Steps.

Now here is where it gets interesting. There happens to be an alternate route not for the faint hearted ... Its a straight 1200 feet decent down a Valley Directly into the Main road. This is a part Rain Beaten and Part Locals Only Quick Get Down Path. Amazingly Rocky and Thory as they Come and mind you Slippery too !!! [ Every Time I Sit ... I Can Remember It ] ... Carry Water and Walk Down Calmly and You Would End Up Reaching the Main Road without much fuss.

Head Over and Have Some Zunka Bhakri with Gavti Chicken !!!! and Solkhadi !!! Your Trip cant Get Over any Other Better way.

Must Haves:

A Camera
Water Bottles
Loose Change [Everything is 10 bucks]
Good Shoes
Great Friends

11  Thank Ashwin P
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A trip to this place from Pune has to be well planned. Roads were a mess.The top of the fort is nice. Historically a very important place in Maharashtra's history. The rope - way is a nice experience. However the rope-way cars look like the boxes. Avoid the weekend rush, or you'll have to wait for hours before your turn to board the boxes. Once inside the cable cars, you are at the mercy of the operators. It takes about 3 to 5 minutes to reach the top, or descend to the bottom. The experience can be split two ways. 1) the scene outside is breathtaking. 2) the scene inside the cable car is pathetic. To the best of my knowledge, no accidents have taken place yet, so the maintenance should be good. On top the MTDC resorts were in shambles. There was fungus on the walls, the beds, sheets, pillows etc was all very damp, stained, dirty, yucky. so chose not to stay there. A very scenic place thou. If you are a trekker, you can trek up the fort which will take between 2 to 5 hours, depending on your fitness. The jungles surrounding have a wide variety of wildlife, so for nature enthusiasts and photographers it's paradise.

9  Thank LIGHTVENTURES