High Country Lodge
$89
Hotwire.com
  • Bar/Lounge
MCM Elegante Lodge & Resort(Ruidoso)(Great Value!)
$129
$125
Travelocity
Village Lodge(Ruidoso)(Great Value!)
$69
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins(Ruidoso)(Great Value!)
$129
Comfort Inn - Midtown(Ruidoso)(Great Value!)
$80
ComfortInn
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown(Ruidoso)(Great Value!)
$86
Hotels.com
Sitzmark Chalet Inn(Ruidoso)(Great Value!)
$56
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness center
TripAdvisor
Ramada Ruidoso Downs(Ruidoso Downs)
HotelQuickly
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 9, 2011

If you are expecting to step into a 4 star hotel, step back. We have taken our children to High Country Lodge from the time they were very young. Now they are taking their own children. There are good things about this establishment. For us it is the nostalgia of being together and swimming and playing tennis, all of the things they offer. We always had fun. this last trip was no exception. We brought LOTS of our own cooking things. We brought our own tennis rackets and balls, ping pong paddles and balls instead of having to pay for them. It would be wonderful if someone with lots of money could go in and completely renovate the cabins. They are old and outdated and just simply needs work. So, be advised, its still a fun place to take the kids. I still love to take my book and sit on the swing and read and enjoy the cool weather. I still like to put steaks on the grill and a pie in the oven and remember when my children were little and wanted to play. There is good and not so good in everything we do. We just have to find the good and put the bad behind us.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Shelly E
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We went with the High Country Lodge for the kitsch factor which it appeared to have. It isn't kitsch it is just rundown The cabins are old and poorly appointed. The furnishings are aging and uncomfortable - the couches are scratchy and the arm chairs and sinking. The furnishings will vary by cabin. We got to see two cabins because we were chased from our first cabin by an infestation of ants. The bathrooms in both cabins are microscopic and feature showers with heads about 5' off the ground. The kitchenettes features stoves, ovens, fridges and microwaves. The quality and functionality of each will also vary by cabin apparently. The highlight (especially for our son) was a large and surprising well maintained indoor pool. The same building also housed a sauna and hot tub that were also very nice.

Room Tip: The cabins are numbered 1-32 and you want a middle number (12-22) since those are the farthest from the highway.
Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CraigF84
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I guess you get what you pay for. A two bedroom cabin with thrift store furniture, a tiny TV and cold wind whistling under the door. Dogs barking in the cabin next door and threatening notes on the refrigerator about charging you $60 if you don't haul your own trash out to the dumpster. Road noise from traffic on the highway.
It is about $50 per night less than the better cabins in Ruidoso, and as advertised it is about the closest to Ski Apache. Discount at the cafe across the street. The desk clerk (owner?) was nice. If you want a cheap place to stay with a kitchenette and don't mind sticking a towel under the door to keep the draft out, and emptying your own trash, sitting on worn out furniture while watching a small analog TV, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank luce_sociator
Reviewed July 12, 2010

During my stay at the high country lodge I have to say that it was awesome. The weather was perfect, the pool was great. I was really able to enjoy the mountain breeze along with the rain it was just amazing. The owners or the people that run the place are really great people. i would recommend the High Country Lodge to anyone. I slept like a baby and i was next to the ride. beds were comfortable it was like i was sleeping on a cloud.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Scoobydoo1995
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I've gone here for 3 years! Either for Spring Break or summer vacation. This year was spring break. New Mexico had an unusual late winter storm. Couldn't get there for our first reserved night. Called the Lodge, first told them I couldn't make it, then called back and said I would make it. The weather turned worse, so I called them back and said I couldn't make it. They called me on my cell phone to confirm that I was the one calling them!
Finally made it there the next morning! They were able to book my room for the night before, so I would have only been charged the booking fee of $25, then when I checked out they told me they weren't going to charge me anything for the first night, because of the storm! Awesome!
As for the cost, I've always gone after January, so it was only $60/night. For 2 bedrooms, a living room and kitchen, I think that's very good. Even during regular season, if you had 2 couples splitting the price it would be great. Yes, you have to clean up after yourself, and wash the dishes, empty the trash and put the dirty towels in the bathtub. Pretty simple instructions. Worth $60 to me!
Tweens love the indoor pool, hottub and gameroom! Love the basketball and tennis courts in the summer and the hottub in the winter.
Old furniture? It's a cabin in the woods! I didn't expect Ethan Allan furniture.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family