“Inexpensive but Rundown”

and 1 more site!
High Country Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alto
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We went with the High Country Lodge for the kitsch factor which it appeared to have. It isn't kitsch it is just rundown The cabins are old and poorly appointed. The furnishings are aging and uncomfortable - the couches are scratchy and the arm chairs and sinking. The furnishings will vary by cabin. We got to see two cabins because we were chased from our first cabin by an infestation of ants. The bathrooms in both cabins are microscopic and feature showers with heads about 5' off the ground. The kitchenettes features stoves, ovens, fridges and microwaves. The quality and functionality of each will also vary by cabin apparently. The highlight (especially for our son) was a large and surprising well maintained indoor pool. The same building also housed a sauna and hot tub that were also very nice.

Room Tip: The cabins are numbered 1-32 and you want a middle number (12-22) since those are the farthest from...
Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CraigF84
There are newer reviews for High Country Lodge

Reviewed February 21, 2011

I guess you get what you pay for. A two bedroom cabin with thrift store furniture, a tiny TV and cold wind whistling under the door. Dogs barking in the cabin next door and threatening notes on the refrigerator about charging you $60 if you don't haul your own trash out to the dumpster. Road noise from traffic on the highway.
It is about $50 per night less than the better cabins in Ruidoso, and as advertised it is about the closest to Ski Apache. Discount at the cafe across the street. The desk clerk (owner?) was nice. If you want a cheap place to stay with a kitchenette and don't mind sticking a towel under the door to keep the draft out, and emptying your own trash, sitting on worn out furniture while watching a small analog TV, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank luce_sociator
Reviewed July 12, 2010

During my stay at the high country lodge I have to say that it was awesome. The weather was perfect, the pool was great. I was really able to enjoy the mountain breeze along with the rain it was just amazing. The owners or the people that run the place are really great people. i would recommend the High Country Lodge to anyone. I slept like a baby and i was next to the ride. beds were comfortable it was like i was sleeping on a cloud.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Scoobydoo1995
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I've gone here for 3 years! Either for Spring Break or summer vacation. This year was spring break. New Mexico had an unusual late winter storm. Couldn't get there for our first reserved night. Called the Lodge, first told them I couldn't make it, then called back and said I would make it. The weather turned worse, so I called them back and said I couldn't make it. They called me on my cell phone to confirm that I was the one calling them!
Finally made it there the next morning! They were able to book my room for the night before, so I would have only been charged the booking fee of $25, then when I checked out they told me they weren't going to charge me anything for the first night, because of the storm! Awesome!
As for the cost, I've always gone after January, so it was only $60/night. For 2 bedrooms, a living room and kitchen, I think that's very good. Even during regular season, if you had 2 couples splitting the price it would be great. Yes, you have to clean up after yourself, and wash the dishes, empty the trash and put the dirty towels in the bathtub. Pretty simple instructions. Worth $60 to me!
Tweens love the indoor pool, hottub and gameroom! Love the basketball and tennis courts in the summer and the hottub in the winter.
Old furniture? It's a cabin in the woods! I didn't expect Ethan Allan furniture.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank PKWL
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We went to a family reunion here. I knew it wouldn't be too great but I wasn't even close! It was awful! Old furniture and appliances, no screens on bedroom windows so it wasn't possible to leave windows open for the mountain breeze, bathroom was so small you knocked elbows off just trying to dry hair, the pool/suana/hot tube looked dirty and the smell once inside was awful. Both nights we were there a couple of cabins down we had our own personal tejano concert! Loud music from pickup truck with the doors open in front of the cabin till long after midnight. Oh and the beds!!!! We woke up with back aches, neck aches, all kinds of aches! The sheets felt like sandpaper. The game room or whatever you'd call it wasn't clean, smelled bad and was very hot and uncomfortable. My son asked the price to play the foosball game and it was $5.00 for 1 ball!!! Ridiculous! It was the worst place I've ever stayed and the worst time I've ever spent in Ruidoso. And I love Ruidoso! But I sure do not love this place.
I WOULD NOT recommend this place for anyone for any reason. If this was the only place to stay I'd drive on to the next town. We payed $102.00 a night for this and while in town shopping found a brochure for a brand new condo resort beside the Ruidoso River in midtown with brand new and stylish everything and refridgerated air conditioning for 1 BR-$100.00 night, 2 BR- $150.00 night, 3 BR-$200.00 night. I was sick! Please don't waste your vacation time or money in this place.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank ses88
Reviewed June 15, 2008

A basic accommodation. It consists of a row of duplex cabins set back from a busy road not quite enough to dissipate all the noise. Cabins have 2 very small bedrooms, a basic bathroom with variable water pressure, living room and kitchen. Rotary(!) phone in bedroom and modern phone in LR. Primitive TV. Kitchen has fridge, stove, sink, microwave. Fireplace in LR and they supply wood. Everything worked, and was clean and tidy, but dated.

Be aware of some unorthodox policies (i.e., you get what you pay for)- no housekeeping during your stay. Make your own bed. Exchange towels at the office if you want to. Wash dishes (supplied) and take trash to dumpster on checkout or they will charge you an extra $60!

Pool and gameroom on premises- we did not use them so can not comment. Tennis court seen- overgrown with grass and weeds.

There is a Brewer's Convenience store/Shell station ~1/4 mile down the road. Very nice place for its type- hot food available, good selection of wine and booze, the usual drinks and conv. store items.

Also note location. 5 miles north of Ruidoso. My Garmin could not locate it.

If all you need is a place to stay with ambiance just above Scout Camp standards, it's fine. Just be aware of what you are getting for the money

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 30, 2008

It's supposed to be one of the best priced cabins in Ruidoso for families. It was about $220 for 2 nights so that wasn't the case. The good news - The cabins have two very small bedrooms and a pull out sofa. It can fit about 6 people. Here's the bad news - Everything is very old and very outdated. I knew that when I reserved but thought the indoor pool and jacuzzi along with the game room would be refreshing for the kids after a long day hitting the slopes. Boy was I wrong! The jacuzzi was maybe lukewarm and when it's 20 degrees outside you want at least warm...the sauna didn't work and the gameroom was expensive. You even have to pay 50 cents a ping pong ball. Oh, lets not forget the police and fire dept. that showed up at midnight due to an out of control party the management let happen which resulted in our neighbor's car being vandalized. The party goers intimidated my children and I enough in the game room that I had to retreat to my cabin with my scared children and ensure eveything was locked. Not like that would have kept them out because the front window where the window unit resides had a huge gap between the window and wall. My children and I tried to go back to the game room the following morning, but since one of the previous nights party goers was passed out on the ping pong table, we were unable to play. Although numerous residents complained, none of us were compensated in any way, my son was told he would get free games in the game room but of course, he didn't want to go back. Never will I stay here again, the price is way, way too much for this under-managed, over-aged establishment.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ihoyos75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alto
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown
Hotel Ruidoso - Midtown
#7 of 23 in Ruidoso
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ruidoso Downs

Been to High Country Lodge? Share your experiences!