“Don't Fear Fire Damage”
Review of Bottlehouse Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alto
Bottlehouse Cabins
Ranked #4 of 6 Specialty Lodging in Alto
Lubbock, Texas
“Don't Fear Fire Damage”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This was our 6th time to visit Bottlehouse, and I was very leery because of the recent Little Bear fire. I was worried that we were going to see nothing but scorched earth surrounding our cabin.

This was not at all the case. There was no fire damage on site. You could see damaged trees in a distance, but honestly they looked like they were preparing for fall (not charred and black). I was sad that the National Forrest trails were closed for workers, but my wife and I found another great hiking trail right by the Smokey Bear Facility in town. We had an EXCELLENT trip!

I will also say, that this was our first time to stay in the Hideout cabin, and it was better than advertised. The king size bed and large bathroom were a treat, but neither could compare with double hammock swing on the porch. That was some FINE SITTIN'!

Room Tip: Couples - Hideout Large Families - I prefer Jessie James, but my kids prefer Ian.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brad H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boone, Iowa
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This is a long time coming...sorry Paula! My husband and I met in 1989 at Beale AFB and as life would have it we lost contact with each other after I had gotten out of the Air Force in Aug 1992. 18 years later while I was working as a contractor and he was on deployment in Bahgdad Iraq we found each other again. I knew right away that I wasn't going to let him slip away again so I asked him to marry me :) 8 is my lucky number so we decided to get married on 08-08-08 even though the very next day I would have to return to Iraq and he would return to Holloman AFB to retire from the Air Force after 21 years. I wanted to be somewhere quiet and peaceful for our last days together and was lucky enough to find the Bottlehouse Cabins. It was very easy to reserve the cabins, we had 3 of them to accomodate my family that had come from Seattle and Kansas City, all the way from Iraq! Paula was very helpful and worked with me on getting the deposit to them which wasn't an easy task considering I was almost 8,000 miles away. My family loved the cabins they were in, the Tipi, hot tub, bonfire and roasting marshmellows which reminded us all of our childhood! We upgraded cabins on the day we were married and Paula made sure it was perfect for us. When we returned for the night we found a bottle of Champagne and glasses on the table along with rose peddals spread out on the bed in the shape of a heart with a rose in the middle. It was so thoughtful and sweet of her to sneak in and do that for us :) Our 5 year anniversary is coming up 08-08-13 and we plan on spending it in the same spot we spent it the day we got married.

Room Tip: They all have beautiful views and are peaceful. Either a truck or SUV works best to get up the driv...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed in the Breezy cabin during the first part of Spring Break and had a great time. The cabin is true to the pictures and the owners are more than helpful. It snowed a few times when we first got there and they gave us some great advice on getting up the drive to our cabin. Its steep, but nothing our Honda CRV couldn't handle. Jennifer also helped with some ski rental advice. We would definitely stay at these cabins again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
El Paso TX
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed here twice, once for Christmas and a second time in March 2010. Its great for couples or a family getaway. My wife and I stayed with our 2 yr old daughter. The kitchen was well equipped with clean utensils, pots, pans and dishes (even spices). Nice furniture and decorations also. Located just steps away from the forest it was great to take a short hike through the forest or down by the picturesque stream. Most cabins (and they really are cabins) have a porch with a grill and a swing. We spent some nice quiet moments just relaxing and taking in the fantastic view from there. The staff was very friendly. The only gripe was that the bed sheets did not seem very clean. We will stay here again because of the location (as close as you can get to ski apache) and amenities, however, we will bring our own sheets and pillows.

Room Tip: If you visit when it snows (or has recently snowed) I hope you have a 4x4. If not, be pepared to par...
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank joexmas
Midland, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This was our 3rd trip here. As always, it was incredible. The cabins are clean, beautiful, comfortable and just wonderful. We've been here during snow, rain and sunshine and have loved every day.
A four-wheel drive truck or suv is the best way to get up here. Cars make it, but I feel more comfortable with a four-wheel drive vehicle.

• Stayed July 2011
Ruidoso, New Mexico
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I didn't actually stay at these cabins, I'm a local and I came for an outdoor music event. It was really cool! They have created a really nice, intimate (yet spacious) outdoor amphitheater with room for sitting or dancing under the stars. Drinks were served and the music was fun. There isn't much live music in Ruidoso so I really appreciated the opportunity. I also took a tour of their cabins and they were very compact, clean, and cute. I would definitely have my family stay here when they visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We traveled a long way to get to this place. We were weary from our journey when we finally made it. We had a bit of trouble finding the office at first. We had a bit of trouble getting up our driveway, and the owner was none too happy with us for that. We eventually settled on parking at the bottom and they were kind enough to drive us and our things to our cabin. We stayed in the Shannon. The cabin was very cute and clean. I didn't realize how small it was gonna be until getting inside of it. It was myself, my girlfriend, and our 3 dogs. I would recommend staying in a larger cabin if you plan on bringing anyone other than you and your loved one, The grounds were beautiful and I love that there is access to a trail through the Lincoln National Forest right on grounds. It was a warm and cozy time and a great place to get away for the week. Everyone was jealous when I showed them my view every morning.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AprylElaine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alto
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins
#7 of 23 in Ruidoso
Comfort Inn - Midtown
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#3 of 23 in Ruidoso

Been to Bottlehouse Cabins? Share your experiences!