“Hotel well maintained with beautiful gardens, but do not keep their agreements”
Review of Akhil Beach Resort

Akhil Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were very much disgusted because we have booked 2 this same rooms with garden view and fan on hotels.com . When we came one of our room was occupied!. Staff divided our family into two different rooms: one was OK (clean, with speed fan) and second - the cottage. At the beginning turned off the air conditioning at a cottage because we booked a room without air conditioning! Sorry but we did not order the cottage with very slow fan!... We booked and prepaid 2 rooms and it was hotel's fault .Otherwise the hotel is very nicely designed with beautiful garden and very clean pool. Because of this problem with overbooking I'm not sure whether to recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 18, 2014

we had a bungalow which was clean and spacious with a/c,it was set in tree lined gardens and next to the pool, we were more than pleased.the staff are very friendly and efficient always with a smile on their face.the reception people were very helpful and on our last day they let us have a room at no charge till 0830 pm because we had a late flight which we really appreciated.the breakfast was good we were served in a little pagoda by the pool on one morning how delightful!i would not hesitate to recommend this hotel based on our visit it really is idylic.

Room Tip: we found a/c essential in february
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2014

The main attractions are the lovely gardens & clean swimming pool. Rooms are small & basic bit have nice sit-out terraces. Staff are polite & helpful. Location is excellent, a short walk from the cliffs where the shops & restaurants are (take a torch for finding your way at night!) Very quiet & peaceful

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Just spent 28 days at this hotel. We enjoyed our stay, but I think we paid more than we should have. The nightly rate was between 5000 an 6000 rupees per night, no discount for a long stay. The bedroom was dark but clean and tidy. Big bed with a very hard mattress. The pillows were the worst I have had in all the hotels, I have ever stayed in, small and very hard. No fridge, no tea or coffee making facilities, no drinking water in the room. The swimming pool was excellent, the gardens very well looked after, and the staff were very good, the swimming pool guy was a credit to the hotel, very hard worker. The location is good, close to the cliff and all the restaurants there. The hotel management are a bit offish, if they improved most of the points I have mentioned, the hotel would be so much the better for it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This was our second visit to Varkala and Akhil Hotel. The pool and beautiful gardens are the main attraction and rooms tend to be basic although adequate. There have been improvements with provision of Flat screen Tv...I ve suggested in my friends circle to visit this place,am sure who ever goes there it ll b a worthfull trip.I would like to visit here evryear,i used to opt some other places but this is one of the best i ve found...!!

Room Tip: rooms near the pool,it is known as pool view cottage i suggest.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This hotel is not situated close to the beach as I thought. And the walk to the beach are crowded with vendors! So we chose to not stay even if we had already paid for five days. We did not get any money back even if we went to the hotel tree days before our stay and tried to cancel. We stayed at Palm tree heritage instead, a fantastic hotel at a fantastic beach!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2014

First the good points - the gardens are quite nice and there is a pool. The hotel is close to the Tibetan market and only 2-3 mins from the Cliffs.

Now for everything else.....

I booked 5 nights here via Booking.com. I was travelling through Kerala and wanted somewhere fairly decent for the last few days. Booking.com only offered me one room option but it was late and it seemed to fit my needs so I booked.

When I arrived, I was shown to my room which was fine. When I say fine, it was a pretty basic room, with the addition of aircon, a TV, a fridge, a kettle and a rather grand (but unneccesary) four poster bed.

As I unpacked and settled in, I noticed a leaflet for the hotel with its tariffs on there. I identified what appeared to be my room ("Deluxe Pool View Cottage"). The price was Rps 4000 + tax (19.92%). That's approx £60, and it seemed a lot for what it was. I then had a look at my Booking.com confirmation, and to my horror I realised the room was costing me Rps 9000 + tax per night. Over a hundred quid! Per night.

I went to reception and said there must be some mistake, but I was told there wasn't a mistake. I was staying in a "Royal Heritage House" and not a "Deluxe Pool View Cottage". It would appear that the only difference in the rooms is the four poster bed, a fridge and a kettle.

I consulted their leaflet, and saw that this was listed with a tariff of Rps 6500 + tax, whereas I was being charged Rps 2500 more. Again I said there must be a mistake. Their response was "we always charge more if you book through Booking.com to cover their fees". Whats more, under the terms and conditions I couldn't cancel the reservation or leave early.

So I was left paying £110 a night for a room that they themselves sell for £75 a night and unable to cancel. All this for a room that was worth £40 max.

Maybe I should have cross referenced everything before I booked you are probably saying. And you're probably right. But this is the first time I have ever known such a price hike imposed for using an agent.

Rather than let it spoil my trip, I reluctantly put it down to experience.

But after 5 days, I came to the conclusion that I simply had to write something on here to warn other people not to book through an agent without cross-checking first, and also to give my opinion about the hotel in general.

1. Why do I say the room is only worth about £40 a night? I've stayed in great homestays in India, spotlessly clean, with breakfast included, hot water, air con, friendly staff etc for under £20. What I didn't get was a TV, a fridge and a kettle. Oh, a bit of a garden and a pool. But that's about it. If you must stay here, take a basic room for around £25 per night. You still get a TV, just no fridge or kettle.

2. Re the pool - non-residents can use it with little or no obvious controls in place. And they do. So you think you're paying to get use of a pool, but you won't get a sunbed unless you get there early. And you must be prepared to put up with everyone else enjoying the facilities at your expense.

3. For the price I paid, I didn't get anything like what you might expect:
- rooms are not service unless you ask
- you have to go and ask for clean towels
- the towels are old and threadbare, and like sandpaper as they've obviously been left to dry in the sun
- there are no toiletries other than a Rp 3 bar of soap
- the "mini tea maker" is a kettle and 4 teabags. That's it.
- the fridge isn't switched on when you arrive, and takes an age to cool down
- half the outside lights on the steps up and the balcony didn't work
- the balcony is pokey to say the least
- no mini safe, hairdryer etc etc

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want any of these things. Just a reasonable room with a pool near the cliffs. But I was paying 4/5* prices for a 2* experience. This is what I object to.

Away from the room, there are other things that bug you when you're paying so much for a room:
- breakfast isn't included
- the hotel is dated from top to bottom, and it still uses branded towels etc from previous lives. No wonder the towels are so threadbare!
- on checking out, they tried to impose a 4% surcharge for me paying my card. How else was I supposed to pay?! I objected, and eventually they relented.
- I had them book me a cab to Trivandrum. They quoted me Rps 1300 and wrote it in the diary. But they charged Rps 1500 on the bill. Again they relented when questioned but it left me with the feeling that all they want is your money.

So, in summary, you can stay here for Rps 2000 per night, and that is good value for what you get. If I'd stayed in one of these, I would have given the place 4*s. But don't upgrade to better rooms or book through a third party. If you want to pay more than a hundred quid a night, go and stay at one of the 5* resorts in Kovalam. If you stay at the Akhil Beach you will be very very disappointed.

Room Tip: Manage your expectations when choosing a room Note that the "honeymoon heritage pool view sui...
Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank pdmancs
akhilbeachresort, Manager at Akhil Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Sir,
We appreciate your concern to write something about Akhil Beach Resort.Thank you for the valuable Time.But Akhil Beach Resort has a a feeling that you have not looked in more deeply about the complaints you have made. Simply the First terrible complaint about the accommodation I would like to state that the cottage where you have been accommodated not either a Deluxe pool view cottage or Royal Heritage House. It is a EXCLUSIVE HERITAGE POOL VIEW COTTAGE and the price whatever we have charged you it is applicable for that accommodation. So you were terribly given the misleading information to everyone . if you had come directly or through agent you will be charged the same rates. So we do not have different rates to each people.All our guests are treated at the same level and we are sorry in anyway if you had felt left down.
What we charge it is not merely for the amenities like kettle,tv,fridge,. You have got to look little carefully of the location/surroundings/ view of the pool,garden/enormous bedroom/ bathroom,comfortableness of the bed,interior decorations,paintings,heritage furniture's/ wooden ceiling,paneling / facilities / many more amenities you fail to notice and barely written some tough stuff.
Everybody can realize your motivation after reading your objects. Our sincere explanation will have no worth to you at all but still we want to make it clear from our side.
Simply we are not here to make money and we always try to make our guests happy and satisfy them for what they pay for.In some incidents we have failed coz their expectations are beyond our reach.It is not easy to match up everyone's expectations if it is so high. We do not want to say it isn't our fault But we will try to improve the concerned areas we are lacking.