Vedanta Wake Up - Helipad North Cliff
$37
  • Breakfast included
$38
$37
Clafouti Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$38
  • Beachfront
InDa Hotel(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$25
$24
Priceline
Varkala Marine Palace(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$23
$19
Priceline
  • Beachfront
$12
  • Free Internet
All reviewsdorm roombamboo hutmixed dormcommon roomcomfy staywatch tvbudget placefood jointshot watergreat place to stay in varkalabudget stayfive minute walkthe main housesurf and yogavarkala beachwalking distanceair conditioning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Ok - I've never written a review before so that's a measure of just how good this place is!

Came to stay here in March originally just for a few days after finding it online, because the dorm rooms were really cheap. That was basically all I knew, so didn't arrive with high expectations. But I am SO glad I chose to stay here!

The building looks like a mansion with a beautiful lawn with chairs and hammocks out front. When you go inside there's a front desk which is manned 24/7 by some of the friendliest staff I have ever met (who give guests free reign of their computer, even when they have to work!), and a living room area with sofas, flat screen TV and games. I stayed in one of the dorm rooms, which was bright and modern looking. The beds had proper mattresses - the best nights sleep I had the entire 10 weeks in India, and there was free air con and lockable cupboards for your things. Bathroom was also large although the advertised hot water rarely came on - but you didn't really want hot showers anyway because Varkala gets so hot. There was free wifi too and also good breakfasts at very cheap prices and a coffee machine.

Even better than the facilities though were the people it attracted - I made a huge group of friends while there and we all kept extending our stay at the end of each day, it became a running joke with the staff! I ended up staying there for 8 nights just because of the place and the people!

Location was also good, bit of a walk from town but not miles away, and there's a shop directly opposite which sold cheap fruit, water etc.

Back to the staff, these guys were really helpful and friendly all the time - but also really cool. Mainly young staff who would hang out with us when they weren't on shift - it was awesome. Special thanks to Sameer who we made really good friends with an who helped us sort so much stuff out whole we stayed there, he really made the experience!

Overall, could not fault this place. There were occasionally power cuts but these were short lived and not what I'll remember about my time there :-)

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Kokotufts
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Great help from all of the guys at reception it was manned 24 hours. Always happy to help and 5 mins from the beach.
They have the coco huts beside the hostel that would be great for couples and travellers whom do not want to sleep in a dorm.

My only issue was the wifi was unreliable and needs updating.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Probably the best of the three Vedanta places that I've stayed at, it's located in a quiet road and has plenty of space outside for relaxation. The staff are helpful, the breakfast is nice, and there are good opportunities to meet other people. There's a TV in the lounge if you have to catch up on football! There are mosquitoes but they are said to attack only from 6 to 8 p.m. and in my experience that was correct.

There's a huge choice of restaurants on the cliffs; the Cafe del Mar does an excellent fish jalfrazi and the Hungry Eye is decent for Thai food.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have visited many places in Kerala ,I found Many good Resorts in terms of accommodation ,ambiance,food services etc.Quite and peaceful place.It is very near to beach yet you will not feel the noise and hustle of the beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed at Vedanta for two nights in Jan' 14. It was an absolutely wonderful experience as the hotel in very clean, safe and affordable. The accommodation is really a bargain for the price and most importantly the beach is just 5 minutes’ walk-able distance from hotel.The place is so amazing we enjoyed a lot.

The staff at the hotel were very courteous and overall service was very good. Special mention food was very good and hygiene.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends