“Varkala interlude”
Review of Varkala Beach

Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Varkala
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We arrived by train and tuktuk to stay at the Sea Pearl. We walked the beach and up to the clifftop area where overseas tourists seem to hang out. We were there at season's close but the place looked neat, clean and tidy. We ate at several restaurants - at one I had my worst meal in India. It wasn't bad..I've just had better coconut rice elsewhere. I was amused to see Europeans eating boiled eggs and toast; many restaurants seemed to offer European food so we hunted out places where Indian tourists were eating. Religious ceremonies were happening on the beach and at night I saw locals feeding the many dogs that inhabit the beach. By day the beach was littered by European bodies and at night the dogs slept on the warm sand....lol. Lots of shops and beautiful coloured cliffs where occasionally I saw a mongoose dash for cover. Worth a visit but Australians won't be going for the surf.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

its a well maintained, beautiful cliff beach. there are a lots of cafes and restaurant on the cliff and some are really good. the best time to visit is sat evening, where you can enjoy the sunset and then then head to the cliff for some party and fun. some places are open late till 2 or 3 am on saturdays, don't know about the other days. awesome place to be...must visit!

3  Thank rijul c
Reviewed April 29, 2013

In my experience, the best beach in India. Less crowds, laid back atmosphere, serene and beautiful. Enjoyed the bathing, the wonderful breeze and the food at Clafouti. Came back refreshed with memories to last a lifetime!

3  Thank Dudla
Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you have the time, you must make a trip to Varkala Beach - about 60km from Trivandrum. The difference is that it has a cliff on one side and the beach looks refreshingly clean and uncrowded. The beach also offers plenty of staying options as well. For the religiously inclined, there are temples too, the Janardhanaswamy Temple being one of the oldest in the area.

3  Thank RaviDubai
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've been to this place when I was studying in Kerala. I wish to visit once again with family in coming years. This has a cliff beach and well maintained. Hotels depending on your budget are easily available. College students can stay over a weekend in Bamboo houses on cliff top.
Beach is safe and well maintained. There not much to shop around but you will love to walk around cliff and the beach. There use to be division of beach for foreign tourists and locals to prevent any kind of misbehavior with tourists. So in a way, it's good to maintain tourists to this place. I must say if one goes to Kovalam this is kind of must while return. You would enjoy sunset with beers or drinks at your hotel if its sea facing.

2  Thank Aayush R