Blooming Bay - Clifftop Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$50
$91
Deshadan Cliff & Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$37
InDa Hotel(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$22
Black Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$24
$43
TripAdvisor
Eden Garden(Varkala)
Travelocity
Magnolia Guesthouse(Varkala)(Great Value!)
Akhil Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
All reviewsfresh flowersevery morningnorth cliffdelightful gardenbeautifully presented and delicioushis teamprivate balconyroof terraceplace to stayarabian seatop floorpalm treeshomemade breadboutique hotelfew minutes walkstayed longerayurvedic massage
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I stayed at Villa Jacaranda late Sept / early Oct this year with my husband and adult daughter. This was the end of our 2 week trip travelling south through Kerala. We had already had a great time so were hoping for a lovely end to our stay. We were not disappointed. We occupied 2 rooms for 4 nights. They were fresh, light and airy with high ceilings and decorated in pale pastels. The bathrooms were roomy and well finished with plentiful hot water and clean fluffy towels. Our bedroom (room 2) had a fabulous large balcony with lovely furniture and a pretty view. We ate breakfast here every morning served by the friendly staff and even opted for supper on the balcony one evening in order that we could watch the spectacular sunset through the last of the monsoon rain.

Ajay, the owner, was charming and extremely helpful. Our daughter chose to catch some rays in the garden one afternoon and Ajay quickly brought her out pillows and cushions on which to recline. Towels were provided for the beach and Ajay was happy to organise rickshaws as and when we needed them. As it happened, Villa Jacaranda is so well positioned that we were able to walk to most places, including the much busier North Cliff area. This was one potential concern when I booked Villa Jacaranda - whether we would be too far out from restaurants and shops. We weren't! Villa Jacaranda provided the best of both worlds. It is in a tranquil location but within easy reach of the much busier (and more touristy) area on North Cliff.

I have read the review below with sadness. It must have been very distressing for the couple involved. I can only speak from our experience, however, that this is a super place to stay. I am sure Ajay will have been devastated when he found out what had happened and I am sure he will have acted swiftly and appropriately. Unfortunately bad things can happen wherever we go in life.

A couple of last points are that the beds are very firm (some people like them) but we spoke to Ajay about this and he is looking for a solution which will give guests the choice of softer sleep. He was also keen to seek our opinion on AC and our view was that although it was hot, the bedroom ceilings are high enough to make AC unecessary.

I can recommend this place very highly and wish Ajay all the success in the world.

Thank you for a lovely stay Ajay.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank dewimazda
Reviewed October 30, 2010

My fiancee and I were fortunate enough to spend 5 magical days and nights at Villa Jacaranda prior to our wedding in the Maldives on September 14th. Ajay and his incredibly attentive and professional staff went above and beyond, in every way possible, to make our time in southern India a truly wonderful experience. We were lucky enough to stay in two different guest rooms during our stay. Each was a very private and generously furnished room, rich with all the local decor and stylings that anyone traveling from abroad would hope for. Our rooftop guest room, with breathtaking vistas of the sunset over the Arabian sea every night, afforded us an incredible atmosphere for intimate breakfasts, private yoga sessions on the rooftop balcony, and long afternoons watching the eagles and birds flying in and out of the surrounding canopy of palm trees. The Villas owner Ajay was so incredibly helpful to us, as he made himself available to us for any questions or assistance, at any time. With a simple phone call he was able to do things for us like; set up excellent private ground transportation to any destination, arrange an incredible overnight house boat trip on the backwater, not to mention always offering great recommendations for lunch, dinner and/or notable places to visit or stay away from. We found Villa Jacaranda through Lonely Planet and we are grateful, as should we find ourselves in Varkala again, there is no other place we would ever stay. Thanks again to Ajay and his excellent staff. It was truly the pefect place to spend the week before our wedding, and we still refer to our time there as our "Honeymoon before the wedding!"

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chadmouton
Reviewed October 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed in this hotel in October this year. We had travelled down from Mumbai and had a great experience in India, until we stayed at this hotel.

I'm not going to comment on the average rooms, food or location, as our experience did not involve any of those.

On the last morning I spotted one of the staff looking through the window at my wife and I in bed. The person was using the mirror on the closet door to look at us while remaining hidden at the side of the window, so I'm guessing they were somewhat practised at this technique. I had no idea how long the person had been there looking at us, or how many days this had been going on, but as you can imagine, we left that day. The person involved initially tried to deny they had been there, but later attemped to apologise.

The icing on the cake was the 500 Rupees we found in our room when we came back from breakfast, which I'm guessing was there to ease our anger at being spied on. As you can imagine, this only made thingss worse for us, as it confirmed their guilt.

I will not be pressing this issue further, as I did not feel that involving the police would achieve anything, but I am using this website as my voice-as we chose the hotel based on reviews here.

If you like the look of this place, by all means, stay there. But keep in mind, this could happen to you.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
VillaJacaranda, Owner at Villa Jacaranda, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2010

As the owner of this guesthouse, I was deeply disturbed and shocked to go through your review. The person responsible, although in complete denial, has had his employment with us terminated as a result. He came to us with excellent references, a family man with young children. Were it not for your review, I would never have suspected him of such a thing. This incident took place during my absence from the property.

Something like this should never have happened to you anywhere – that it should have happened to my guests under my roof fills me with immense regret and shame. I offer you my sincere apologies. It will be my constant endeavour to ensure no such incident ever takes place in my property ever again.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

Peace and quiet in beautiful surroundings - is what I think of when I think of Villa Jacaranda. The added bonus is the pleasant and attentive staff. I highly recommend staying at this location. I know I will be back!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This was among the nicer places I've stayed in many years.Lovely owners, beautiful gardens, away from the crazy cliff side. The third floor room is great - great views, etc. The dinner is also lovely.we saw gorgeous sunsets, did yoga on the roof. Great place to relax and recharge. Big rooms, great bathrooms!. what a lovely place!!!Pure paradise, great rooms with a very lovely garden and off the beaten track, which was nice! we didn't want to end up staying at the noisy cliff so we had decided to stay in this more peaceful area and the villa jacaranda was a great place ...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple