“Tranquility personified” 5 of 5 bubbles

Villa Jacaranda
Ranked #8 of 96 Varkala B&B and Inns
“Tranquility personified”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Just returned from an extremely relaxing 2 week stay over New Year at Villa Jacaranda. A tranquil oasis away from it all. We were very well looked after by Ajay and his team, with thoughtful added bonuses of fresh crisp linen, a small fridge with icy water to combat the heat, fresh flowers in the rooms and a constant soundtrack of birdsong and insects to firmly place you away from it all. A welcome distance from North Cliff - the north/south divide perhaps. South Cliff and the small beaches beyond are a different kettle of fish. Each to their own but South suited us perfectly. Delicious fresh breakfasts served every morning on the verandah - fresh juice and home made bread. A lovely big bathroom with welcome huge shower to cool down after a hot day on the beach. All extremely civilized and thoughtfully executed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Boingy_breaks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed at Villa Jacaranda at the beginning and at the end of our trip to Kerala. Both times, il was exactly what the doctor ordered : to adapt to India and... to recover from it! Villa Jacaranda is a homey, quiet, charming place which is run by a sweet staff. One feels at home in this beautiful house : lots of simple comfort and privacy, individual terrace, perfect decorating.
Their breakfasts will remain in our memories : delicious food served on the terrace, facing the ocean (through palm trees), a pure moment of peace. Difficult to get motivated to go out...
Exacty the kind of place one would like to live in if one moved to this part of the world.
Varkala is a nice town to stay for a while. Touristy stuff may be avoided if necessary by staying in Villa Jacaranda's neighbourhood (South Cliff) and by going to quieter beaches south of the main one.

2 Thank StephaneKM
Kerrry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in February. The owner spent a lot of time welcoming us when we arrived and giving us information on things to see and do in Varkala. Our ground floor bedroom was spotlessly clean, airy and cool with our own private terrace where we ate breakfast. Lovely touches are everywhere, like an old Indian cooking dish filled with water and floating hibiscus flowers. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Each room is different as this is an old villa
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rosiekerry
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

we stayed 4 days at these perfect place. There is nothing more to say than it was the best hotel in india. it is a very nice luittle bed an breakfast with seaview. The stuff ist very helpfull and friendly, the owner helps were he can and gives perfect tips what to do, buy, visist....
The whole house has a perfect atmosphere, the mix between modern Art and old furniture is execellent and the rooms are made with heartblood.

Me and my girlfriend realy enjoyed our stay and we recommend it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hlase
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

Ajay the host and his team have been very welcoming yet not intrusive, we received excellent customer service in a very professional way with no pressure just care. We had the garden room, which allowed us to enjoy the tropical garden, as outside the room we could sit in the sun lounges in the verandah. The rooms are layed out so that you have total privacy from each other with independent entrances. It is located in the south cliff so away from the hussle and bussle of the north cliff but yet a mere 10 min walk away.
Our room was spacious with a very adequate bathroom and a very good shower, which is not a given even in very expensive hotels in India and spotless.
The attention to details was incredible from the daily fresh flowers on the verandah to the candle lighting around the pond each night.
We would definetely reccomend it!

2 Thank cristinalorenzet
india
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

I made a booking for this hotel online last evening and paid almost $350 using my credit card online. In the process of booking, I was asked to select a date and the room and then pay. The credit card payment was accepted and I got a confirmation from my bank.After settling the hotel, I went ahead and booked the flights to Trivandrum.

However, this morning I got an email that the hotel order has been canceled and that I should get the money back in my account sometime!! On calling up the hotel, the owner tried to explain that his website does not consider availability and accepts credit card payments of any amount for any dates and any room unless you are lucky enough to read the text that he has inserted on the booking page just before payment which tells you not to pay unless you have emailed the owner. We are frequent travelers and have booked hundreds of hotels around the world using our credit card. We have never come across such a fine print. On what basis does the system accept payments if the reservation is not confirmed? I am sure it's not even legal! Imagine my plight now having paid so much money I have to hope and pray that it comes back!!!!

The bad news does not end here. Over the phone , the owner assured me that even though he does not have the room I wanted and since I have booked my flight tickets based on his website's response, he will give me a room, provided I am willing to shift within the hotel from one room to another during my stay. Since I had little choice, I agreed to do that.Promptly after that he sends me an email saying that he doesn't have ANY availability for my dates and suggested another nearby resort which does not look very good to me.

This incident for me reflects on the overall service quality and standard of the hotel. We like staying in small boutique places because they are better managed and and the service is warm and personal. Villa Jacaranda however seems to suffer from bad management and confusion and I am sure if we had stayed there, we would have come across more examples of this.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank combil
VillaJacaranda, Owner at Villa Jacaranda, responded to this review, December 24, 2011
I regret you had a bad experience with our booking procedure. It is precisely because the online payment system on our website does not reflect real-time availability that the following text has been inserted:
"Please contact by email BEFORE making an Online Payment".
Although the text is prominently displayed (no 'fine print' at all), it is understandable that sometimes this advice gets ignored. However, it seems a bit unfair to blame me for your oversight.
I recall explaining very clearly during our phone conversation that we were completely booked for your dates (and had been fully booked for a considerable while, the dates in question being in between Christmas and New Year's) which is why I could not accept your payment in the first place.
In an attempt to be helpful I recommended alternative accommodation. This was despite your manner during the entire phone conversation being less than civil and your claim to be a "journalist for a very big corporation".
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

Ajay was a fantastic host and his small team are really dedicated to making your stay special from the candle lit garden to the home baked bread and pineapple jam for breakfast. The villa is beautifully decorated and the rooms are bright and airy. I couldn't have wished for a more serene and peaceful place to stay surrounded by exotic flowers and birds.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo