“Great yoga teacher!”

Doctors Ayurveda and Yoga centre
Ranked #5 of 20 Spas & Wellness in Varkala
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Doctors ayurveda is an Ayurvedic treatment center managed by professionally qualified doctors (one male & female) and experienced therapists(male & female).This is located in the corner of very beautiful and quiet Odayam beach at varkala, Trivandrum,S.India. Our center is 20minutes walkable distance through the beach towards north from the busier north cliff of varkala beach.
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I took a full package of Ayurvedic treatment which was incredible. The place is clean and very professional.

The yoga lessons are some of the best I've ever had. The teacher is amazing and I really felt myself improve over the week.

I highly recommend this place!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Came across this place after a recommendation from our hotel to have yoga lessons and treatment at Doctors Ayurveda. Both turned out to be fantastic.
The yoga teacher was a wonderfully friendly and peaceful man who gave us 1-1 lessons and frequently over-ran by over an hour! He really inspired me to keep persevering with yoga even though I am not exactly a natural.
The Ayurvedic treatments from Dr Rasheed and his wife were brilliant. The Kizhi and Sirodhara are highly recommended. Dr Rasheed also gave us a full Ayurveda consultation and an insight into traditional Indian medicine without even trying to sell us any products which was refreshing. Overall highly recommended whether you're looking for traditional Ayurvedic treatments or to practice yoga.

1  Thank cyrusclarke
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spend the last half of September and the first half of October in Doctors Ayurveda at Odayam Beach. I took the full package with food, room, medicin and treatments. Doctor Rasheed and his wife, Doctor Jamsheena, are the nicest people and took great care of me while staying there. They were helpful with everything like calling the laundry lady, hiring a scooter, answering questions about the people of Kerala and killing spiders in my room.

There is only a hotel between Doctors Ayurveda and the sea, so it takes under a minute to get there. I was there during the low season, so the sea was to rough to swim in. I think it will be better in December-February. There is, howerer, a lot of garbage in the water from dumping.
It is a 15 minute walk along the beach to go to the Cliff. This is the main turist area of Varkala. Here are all the restaurants, souvenir shops and hotels located. Almost every restaurant has free wi-fi, but you can also find it in hotels at Odayam Beach. Just ask the manager if you can use their internet.

I was travelling alone, and I would only recommend female single travellers to go here during the high season. There aren't alot of turists in Odayam at this time, and there is no light at the walk path to the Cliff, so during my stay, I did not go out after dark. I read warnings about going this way after sunset, and the locals confirmed it. But you could take a rickshaw. It will cost you around 50 rupees one way. There are no ATMs by the beach, but 5 minutes in a rickshaw for 100 rupees return, will get you to one.

During my one month stay, I had a lot of different treatments. I tryed the steam bath, dry rub, powder rub, oil massage and more. I liked the treatments and I enjoyed most of the food. Upon arrival, the doctors told me, that Kerala is known for its more bland food than the rest of India. I was a bit disappointed by that. I had hoped for more spicy and flavoured food. But I guess this was more authentic, as you eat what the indians eat. At least in this area.
I cannot comment on the ayurveda, since I have nothing to compare it to. It was my first ayurvedic experience, and time will tell if it had its impact. And also, I couldn't do the full cleansing, because I felt too sick. That is part of ayurveda, so be prepared for that. I guess I was not hardcore enough.

In general, I found the men of Varkala to be quite scary. This was also my first visit to India, and I had to get used to all the staring. From what I read, I guess it is normal. It is just exhausting some times. Also kids and totaly normal looking people will ask you for money. Some of the men at the beach would shout after me, offcourse in a language I did not understand, but I understood. I have heard that there is a big problem with alcohol here, so that probably explaines their behavior. Next time I am wearing a weddingring and telling everybody, that I am married. That will save you from some of that.
The women are a different story. They are smily, shy, beautiful in their colourful saris and curious.

But back to Doctors Ayurveda. I give my highest recommondation to the sweetest doctors and therapist there, especially Pushpa. They have all been so kind and willing to share their storys and ask about my world. I had a nice room with fan and a bathroom, and the room was cleaned every fourth or fifth day. There was also a balcony, where I could sit and watch the sea.
I only wish there were wi-fi in the room, but I guess the exercise of walking to the Cliff, was good for me.

Dear Doctors,
Thank you for now, and I hope the very best for you.

4  Thank idaras
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I feel myself absolutly good!!!! Thanks for this centre!!!! i came here for 10 days of treatment for back pain and skin problem it was very nice time with the lovely Doctors and staff,i already booked for 35 days of panchakarma treatment for next year too.............

2  Thank elena502
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Ajurveda is the perfect alternative to our western chemistry industry. Cause it is an industry and business. Ajurveda take natural care of your health, body and person. will life on a later stage in India...

2  Thank PascalSunFun