“lovely place with family atmosphere”

and 1 more site!
Keratheeram Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 98 Varkala B&B and Inns
Jaisalmer
“lovely place with family atmosphere”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My room was booked already before I arrived at middle of Night from train station. The Owner is so nice. She was so helpful. They offer me kerala food. as i had few meals their home with other family member. the great sea food and coconut and fish curries with rice. Delicious.
I stayed there almost 2 weeks and I really enjoyed stayed there. room was specious with fan, mosquito net and hammock. The price was so nice... all in my budget which make me stay more.
Just thanks to make this energy. will visit again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Airlie Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at Keratheeram Beach Resort for just 3 nights and we all wished we could have stayed for longer. Priji and Saji are such warm, kind and genuine people: they are great hosts! The rooms are clean and spacious and the location is excellent - very near the cliff with all the best restaurants.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FlashpackerOz2010
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Our trip to Varkala was a rewarding one and so was our stay at Keratheeram. It's just half-a-minute walk from the cliff from where you can get amazing views of north and south cliff of Varkala. Staying there was a real value for money and the rooms were pretty comfortable with all the basic amenities. Well, the best USP is their hospitality which knocked me down completely. Firstly, we have been welcomed from the station uptill the resort. We fell sick in between our trip and the owner (Priji) took effort to find required medicine for us instead of a public holiday in a Sunday evening. Such help is really commendable and gave us a feeling of home away from home. If you are looking for a decent homestay with good hospitality without much luxury, Keratheeram is the place for you.

Room Tip: Sea side rooms are preferable.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sidorf
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Varkala is a gem in itself and so is Keratheeram. The rooms are neat and practical. the bathrooms are spotless. The hosts are very helpful. We called them to ask for directions so they met us halfway to the resort. True it's in the middle of a lot of guest houses ,but the location is good. A minute's walk will take you to great views. The lunch served was authentic south Indian and we loved it. The hostess also served us with great care. The rooms have a narrow verandah attached which is great for reading. They have a decent collection of books you can read from. The also at very short notice arranged a cab for us to go to Alleppey . At 400Rs a night it was totally worth it. I will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Sometimes it pays to read between the lines when it comes to TA. I booked here on the high ratings on TA. There are much better options around at this price in off season.
Firstly the positives:
Very comfy beds with mosquito nets, which means you can keep the windows open.
The rooms, bathrooms and sheets are very clean.
We were provided with a morning cup of tea and biscuits.
At 440 INR, off season, the rooms are cheap.
They are centrally located.

Now some negatives:
The rooms are smallish.
The guesthouse is located in a cluster of guesthouses on a laneway to the cliff. This means little privacy. The communal verandah is narrow, people pass by your room to get to their own and If they are noisy,or even chat, you will hear every word from your room. The lights from the adjacent guesthouse verandah shine through the curtains. If you hang out on verandah, you can almost look into the rooms over the way.
There is a noisy, yelping dog nearby.

The managers/owners also attempted a swift rip off when the bill was presented. A neat rounding up of450 INR was added. Hmmmm!!! I have always found the people of Kerala so honest and was shocked by this. On pointing out the rort to her husband, he returned the extra, and apologised. So, watch that final bill!!
The woman here also asked where I was moving to and why. I found this intrusive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank morgana3761
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Well what can i say... I stumbled upon Keratheeram by accident and what a good stroke of fortune for me. The rooms are simple and lovely. Four poster beds with very clean sheets, comfy pillows and mosquito netting. Attached is a cool tiled and roomy ensuite. With a hammock on the balcony and a little table setting too.
As the home stay is right on the cliff the breeze coming through the windows at night and the peaceful ambiance are a real haven. The true gem of this home stay is not only the unbelievably reasonable pricing but the genuine home stay experience. Saji, her husband and little son are gorgeous! politely offering tea or coffee in the mornings and food made for any meal you would like. I never once have felt intruded upon.
I came down with a terrible fever a few nights ago and Saji's husband maintained a respectful check my progress and summoned Saji's brother to take me to the hospital. He was there in minutes and stayed with me for hours at the hospital to make sure i was ok and bring me home safely. A true gentleman wanting nothing in return for such a kind favour.
I cannot recommend Keratheeram enough! Take a chance on my review and do yourself a favour.

Room Tip: Rooms facing towards the cliff have a lovely garden view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank beeonthemove
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Friendly family atmosphere, very clean room with private bathroom, just few houses from the sea, very good value of money. Spent 5 nights there and enjoyed my stay very much. Was really great to watch beautiful sunsets and not to worry about finding place I stay in the darkness. It's also very safe there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo