All reviews yoga and meditation daily routine fantastic yoga tea house teaching style black beach everyday life the cliff morning session other guests perfect retreat wonderful week month trip fresh fruit his team keralan food spent a week
Reviewed February 9, 2017 via mobile

We were both beginners and wanted to have the opportunity to learn yoga in a relaxing set.
We had first booked 3 nights but then extended to 9. Overall, our stay at Sharanagati Yogahaus has become one our best memories in Kerala and these are the reasons why:
1. Classes were serious, given by experienced professionals. While being thorough on the technical aspects of the practice, teachers were also very attentive to each and everyone comfort.
2. Schedule was designed in the best way possible. Allowing us to enjoy Varkala and it's surroundings while practicing enough hours to improve and feel on "yoga vacation".
3. Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable (we stayed on the first floor and enjoyed the shared balcony very much).
4. Group is kept small, which makes it easier to connect with the other participants.
5. Food is delicious and healthy! And served generously, so all types of stomachs can be satisfied:-)
We strongly recommend the Sharanagati Yogahaus to those who want to have a real powerful break from everyday life...and we only wish to be back soon!

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2017

I arrived at Sharanagati Yogahaus after more than 34 hours train ride, coming from Mumbai, having experienced all kinds of frustrations there (cash crisis due to the New Year demonetization, no cash, Visa card blocked, computer broken....)
Needlesss to say, I was looking forward to what I was fantasizing to be a peaceful, relaxing break from the stress of normal life. Well ...Sharanagati was all that, and much MUCH more!
As soon as I stepped out of my auto rickshaw and came through the door, I felt like I had arrived in some kind of heaven. A gorgeous garden, flowers everywhere in the house, the soothing and uplifting smell of sandalwood incense, the colors and the smiles... Hari, who created this haven, showed me to my room. Just what I needed: simple, very clean, with nice touches (a mosquito net!) . "This is going to be nice", I thought.

I stayed 8 days there, and can honestly say I left a different (and hopefully better) person than the one who arrived.

The house has some rules, which make perfect sense when you are serious about a retreat (no usage of phone or computer in the house, no smoking, curfew at 10:30) but there is enough flexibility that you can skip the occasional class and not feel like a total loser :-)
The rules are what help you disconnect from what gives you stress.. What Hari calls the "logistics" and which, truly, can pollute your mind and stop you from really letting go!

The day starts at 7 am with breathing exercises and meditation, to the sound of the garden birds and the distant train passing by.
It is followed by a 8 to 10 yoga class, after which we are served a fantastic breakfast of tea, porridge and fresh fruit (pineapple, mango, pomegranate, papaya, banana tangerines-- and yes, it has NOTHING to do with the kind of tasteless stuff we are sold at home!) ..

After breakfast, you are free to go for a swim (the beach is 4 minutes away) or go indulge in your addiction of choice (wifi, coffee, etc) at one of the many places on the nearby cliff.

A wonderful, multi-colored, incredibly tasty and super healthy (vegetarian of course) lunch is served at 1:30. If you stay a few days, you'll have the chance to experience the incredible variety of vegetables and the different ways to prepare them with which the two cooks express their creativity. I miss their wonderful cooking!
Before lunch, if you want, you can practice your asanas with Gayatri, the other yoga teacher who substitutes for Hari sometimes. Gayatri is a young Indian woman, a sanskrit scholar as well as a soothing, serene guiding presence always.. If you're into this kind of detail, she has the best Om I've ever heard...

There is another yoga class 4 - 5:30 pm, after which you can do whatever you want..

The style of yoga taught there is Shivananda. For those of you used to more Ashtanga/Vinyasa flow classes, Shivananda style can be a little disconcerting at first. You may find the pace a little slow, and the holding of the asanas a bit long. The series are done the same way, day after day, with some minor variations, which can get a bit boring for those of us who crave constant stimulation and newness.. But... have faith! In 8 days there, I noticed some significant improvements in my overall flexibility and strength, and most of all, my concentration. It truly works!

The morning meditation is a very special moment which I encourage you to try even if you have never done meditation. I had tried to meditate before and found it to be perplexing and frustrating,... up until Sharanagati, where everything came together to make sense. Leaving me feeling blissful and happier than I thought I could feel.

Most of all, it is Hari's wonderful personality which livens up the place and makes it so special. Everything is looked at with a mix of seriousness and humor...
Now back in my familiar environment, I try to call back some of his teachings and advice to help me manage things in a peaceful, non-judgmental way, breathe ... and .. relax.
I try to go back to that place of peace, light and happiness I was so lucky to find there. It's not always easy, but I will forever carry the light from Sharanagati with me everywhere I go.
....While I count the days until I can go back!

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank StephanieGentilhomme
Reviewed January 24, 2017

The most chilled out and relaxing place we have stayed. Hari and the team are beautiful, welcoming souls who foster a completely chilled and relaxed environment in which to recharge the batteries. The rooms are comfortable, the food is delicious and nourishing and the teaching is serious enough to feel like you are learning more about meditation and yoga and relaxed enough to not make you feel like you're at bootcamp. Hari has a few house rules (no tech and return by 10:30pm) but other than that is seriously chilled out - we thought the balance was just right and loved not using wifi for the week... but things are chilled enough here for you to be able to skip a yoga session if your shoulder is feeling dodgy or the pull of a swim in the sea is too strong. Hari's focus is on you finding your own way to reconnect and heal in whatever way suits you best. The retreat is tucked away from most of the hustle and bustle of the North cliff but is only a 2 minute walk from all the great restaurants, bars and shops that cling perilously close to the crumbling rocks. The beaches are great... Black beach is the nearest but is quite small. A short 10 minute walk north and you come to Odayam beach which is much bigger and relatively quiet. Varkala is a wonderful place, maybe not quite as spectacular as some of Goa's beaches but quieter and with a distinctly more ramshackled vibe. We just loved it here and you will too... couldn't recommend this place more highly.

Room tip: Two buildings... you can have a room in Hari's house or in the new block at the back... all our comfortable, clean and modern.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nathaniel H
Reviewed January 21, 2017

Hari's place is an oasis of tranquility with likeminded people. The new yoga hall was fantastic, and a truly special and unique place to be with the sounds of nature all around . Hari is truly gifted as a yoga an meditation teacher, and a wonderful welcoming host.

The rooms were very clean and comfortable, the stairs and living area very clean too. The staff were very kind and considerate, and cooked the most delicious vegetarian breakfasts and lunch. Mosques a bit noisy at 5am but other than that the noise was ok.

I loved meeting the other guests staying here and we all made friends and ate out together in the evenings - it was really lovely.

During this week my body and spirit healed, I found new flexibility in body and mind. Sivianda is a wonderful meditative style of yoga for beginners or experienced yogis alike. Hari is very intuitive to this, giving extra one on one classes with absolute beginners, yet at the same time allowing me to perform sun salutations in my established astanga vinyasa style.

Last note was that it was bliss to be without phone!

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2017 via mobile

Sharangati yogahaus is a oasis of calm in the chaos of India. Hari and his 100% indian team provided to us everything we need to recharge pur batteries.
The food is vegetarian and extremely good cooked by two lovely Indian women, the rooms are simple but really clean and silent.
Hari settle the place in a wonderful way with a open yoga room in the middle of the luxurious vegetation.
We did 10 days of pranaiama amd hata yoga well divided during the hours of the day, always guided by Hari who has a special gift for learning and helping people to slow down from our too fast lives.
Everything at 150 meters from the ocean.
Me and my girlfriend loved Sharangati and we will absolutely come back. Recommended!!!!!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple