“Just a dream!!”
Review of Palm Tree Heritage

Palm Tree Heritage
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We are fan of India and went already many times in the south. This is the best hotel we ever been in South India., we had 10 beautiful vacation days.!! It is smalll, very nice decorated with wood furniture, clean, very quiet but not too far from all the restaurants and bars, walking distance 10mn. All the staff is very nice, they are really trying to make you feel good. Babu the manager is every day on duty a take care of the guests. You can ask him everything , he will always have a solution!!!! The restaurant on the beach is very nice, You are having breakfast and look at the fischermen who are sweating and shouting to get their fischingnest out of the water.The food is not the best (no tandoori oven) but you are seatted very nice on the beach your feet in the sand.!! So don't hesitate, just go there and enjoy it!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
77babu, Owner at Palm Tree Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2015

Hope everything is ok.

Thank you so much for the beautiful review. Its help us with the business a lot. We will wait for the next opportunity look after you and your family.
Also, please recommend our place to your friends and your family we will take good care for them.

There are newer reviews for Palm Tree Heritage

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I had booked my Kerala trip fr 7 days via Antilog Vacations and it turned out to be a highly successful one. At my fiancé’s behest we decided to go for an offbeat place and decided against the run of the mill hill stations and beaches.

Varkala in southern Kerala particularly intrigued us as it was the only place in Kerala where cliffs were found bordering the Arabian Sea. We were a bit apprehensive as to whether we would get a package to this little known town.Antilog showed in true style why they are considered as the best for Kerala tours.They gave us a good itinerary & booked Palm tree for our stay in Varkala

The place is managed by Babu, Reggie and Shyam and their helpful nature is really infectious as the rest of the crew is extremely cooperative. The honeymoon suite was not vacant and hence we got an executive deluxe room.

It was larger than we had envisaged at around 40 sqmt. A large attached bathroom and big balcony accentuated the size and beauty of the room. The mattress of the bed was a touch ragged though and given the other amenities, a better and comfortable mattress would have really completed the room.

The region seemed to be hard pressed for electrical power and hence a minor blip was the 30 minute load shedding every evening between 7 and 8 o’clock. But we usually took a stroll by the beach during that period and the cool sea breeze coupled with the glistening moonlight made up for the missing electricity and more. Moreover the lines of boats normally anchored itself during the dusk and this was quite a sight to behold.

The food at the Palm Tree Heritage was an impressive mix of local and Indian fares. The breakfast was complimentary and had English options too. Thus all in all the Palm Tree is definitely a recommendable stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Akhilesh P

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This place is a real paradise on earth, seriously! Away from the touristic cliff of Varkala, Palm Tree Heritage is situated right on the ocean's shore, with a little wonderful beach where you can enjoy amazing meals (try the Kerala's style prawns for a candlelight dinner on the beach!). The cook, Bopal, is the man ! A great cook and a great person. Josef, among the working staff, is also absolutely great, very kind and helpful. We had a lot of fun with him. Amazing staff working with an amazing manager, Babu. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable, with beautiful wooden verandas in Kerala's traditional architectural style.
The landscape around is sublime. Palm Tree Heritage is the best place we stayed in India. We will never forget the days we spent there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ale_Caroline

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This is definitely a very good place to relax, probably the best we found in India. The wooden rooms and especially the beautifully craftet veranda is welcoming the exhausted traveller! We initially booked for 2 nights and after meeting really great people and enjoying the relaxation we extended for another night. Unfortunstely we were not able to stay in our room and had to move to the small appartements a few min. Away. This was obviously due to a misscommunication amongst the staff. At midday I informed the staff that we will extend and on the next morning Babu asked us if we are planning to extend. Unfortunately his staff did not inform him and another traveller had booked the afternoon after we informed the staffnabout the extension. I think this communication can be improved.
Besides the restaurant was good and we enjoyed the food as well as the very nice atmosphere around the Palm Tree Heritage. The beach was for India clean and swimming (also for women) was possible in swimming suits. The fishermen who pulled in their nets early every morning are definitely a highlight. I would definitely recommend to stay at the PTH!
Tipp: call and ask for the room rate before booking online. We were there in off season and heard that other guests who did so payed less then we did. Its just good to know.
My husband an myself will definitely return to PTH when back in India.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Is this among the top 25 hotels in India ... a definite NO. Goes on to say that choosing hotels based on TripAdvisor Reviews alone is not the correct method. It helps - but is not the sole criteria !!

Is this place good Value for Money?? I'll vote my YES in favour of that.

The experience started with a great WOW. I wanted to book the beach-view suite and was having trouble with their online link. When I called up Mr Babu - he was immediate and prompt in reserving the room without any advance whatsoever. This one action made me decide that I would definitely spend time here. Though I got excellent rates from Coconut Bay and Taj Vivanta, I stuck to my decision.

I stayed here for the nights of 8th and 9th May 2012. After talking to various people at the PTH over the day - confirming that I would be late but would definitely check-in, I finally reached late at night at 10 PM on 8th. To my surprise, the only suite room was occupied by someone else ... a foreigner who had wanted to extend his stay. Babu explained that this was inadvertently done by some employee - and that he had reserved two rooms instead. I reminded him that I cannot let two kids sleep in another room and this was of no use to me. Had it been earlier in the day, I would have walked out then and there. What really triggered my anger was the fact that throughout the day Babu and his assistants could have told me about this - and I pointed out that this was plain cheating !!

Apologies followed - and I explained to Babu that his small guest house with average surroundings had reached the top-10 in India easily. Staying there would not be so easy - because not all guests are gullible foreigners who get swayed by good talk. Many internet users know the rates around and the options available.

The quality of anyone in the service industry is not how perfectly they manage their clients ... nobody's perfect and mistakes do happen... but in the way they try and make up when a customer is upset. I noticed this very encouraging trait in Mr Babu and his team. They immediately went into overdrive, trying to make amends. The next day, I got the suite room which I had booked and Mr Babu did not charge me anything for the first night. The entire staff were trying to go out of their way to ensure that everything else that I wanted was available. Babu explained to me that he had closed the hotelfor summer repairs - but since the rain had come early, he re-opened it but his trained staff were still on leave while he was managing with a skeletal crew.

Palm Tree Heritage Hotel may not deserve it's current position in the top ten hotels in India (nowhere near the top hundred at present) - but they are definitely headed there if they continue the service standards and stop making mistakes like the one they did with me. I write this not because of the one day's rent that they waived - but because of the genuineness that I noticed in their apologies and behaviour.

To all who are reading this review and are thinking of staying here ... I must add two important points to make note of.
1. The kitchen is not ready yet and the ambience and kitchen-hygiene needs to go miles before it reaches acceptable levels - even for an Indian like me who is used to travelling extensively and eating at roadside stalls. Food can be a big issue... especially to those who know the true quality of all that you can get in Kerala. The only (average) eatery nearby is the other resort adjacent to PTH on the hill.
2. Most of the beach is absent for better part of the year and shows up only during winter.

The purpose behind the setting up of this hotel is a noble one (one of the reasons why I chose this place) - and with the way Babu and his assistants are making the best out of a small place with 8-10 rooms, I'm sure that this will grow in the coming years. Reaching the top-10 in India must have taken a lot of honest hard-work for Babu and his team, aided a lot by luck. The difficulty is NOW... to stay there and I saw a lot of ground yet to be covered. I wish all the best to Babu and his team.

One of the good attractions is the fishermen trying to haul in the fish during the early part of the day. an activity that you willnot find everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Vanderlooster
SAAHP3H, Owner at Palm Tree Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Yes it has taken a lot of hard work to make this hotel to what is today! But we in the PTH-team will not stop the improvement work and that's why the hotel is under repair to improve during the low season period which is now.
You are right, it is human to make a mistake and unfortunately it caused problem for you and we regret that, but fortunately you are a very rare exeption among our very satisfied guests who agree that Palm Tree deserves the award of being top 25 (not 10) in India.
This because of the human atmosphere, the high standard rooms and the nice location on the beach.
Dear guest you are always welcome to Palm Tree Heritage and the team will always try their best to give you a high quality stay and a nice vacation at Odayam beach.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

It is definitely the best place we stayed in India! Kerala style cottages right on the small beach are perfectly suitable for relaxed vacation. Rooms a big, bathrooms are huge (I could not help my jaw dropping when I saw it for the first time), each room has a big veranda with traditional carvings (differen in every room). Rooms are equiped by AC, but we did not use it at all thanks to great Keralan architecture - the rooms are cool due to special roof construction. All verandas are overlooking nice and very well kept garden. Nice small beach with quie few people is literally only few steps away (you can go in a swimming suit). Breakfast (included in the price) is served a la carte in hotel's restasurant and is great! And you enjoy it looking at the sea.
The staff is very friendly and helpfull, they can even arrange some special trips for you - we went on the trip to see the temple elephant procession to the village nearby, which we would never be able to find out by oursleves.
The main Varkala's attraction - cliff - is a short and pleasant sea-side walk through a palm groove, beautifully lit by moon at night when you are coming back from dinner (it is usefull though not necessary to have a torch).
So, to sum up - great rooms, right on the sea, not crowded and almost private beach and close to main attracions. We are definitley coming back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brungilda

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Arrived on our first night in India, and WOW what a fantastic place to stay. Spacious rooms have carved wooden furniture and a very very comfortable bed. You cant stay anywhere much cleaner than this, and together with the amazing hospitality from Ragi, Babu, Jackson made our stay a wonderful experience. We only booked for 2 days but would have been happy to stay the whole week.
Thanks from Justin and Tracy and Johnny