“Not just a guest house but a Home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kaiya House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Varkala
Kaiya House
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Varkala
Singapore, Singapore
“Not just a guest house but a Home.”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

There is almost nothing bad I could say about Kaiya House simply because it was just such a wonderful stay for us. I found out about Kaiya House through TripAdvisor reviews and went there with some expectations in mind, but our expectations were still beyond exceeded with the beautiful home and services from Debra, Babuchi and Heman.

We arrived a little earlier than expected at the house and our room was not ready so Debra brought us to her beautiful rooftop, served us some tea, and spent some time explaining to us how her guest house works and some quirks of dealing with locals around Varkala. We respected and appreciated this. We were then brought to our rooms which were ready quicker than we expected! Did I also mention that her whole house has got to be one of the cleanest I have seen in Kerala!?

The room we got was called "Japanese" and it was simply decorated with Japanese style furniture and paintings. I believe most, if not all, of her guest rooms have a four-poster bed which we thought was so vintage and elegant at the same time! We had chosen a non-AC room which was not a problem in the tropical weather since the fan worked out perfectly fine for us. The toilets are clean and towels are provided. The beds clean and comfortable for a good night's sleep. There was also wifi available in the rooms if you need it.

Debra also brought us on a free walking tour of areas around the beach which was where we wanted to spend most of our time so it was really useful. She showed us some things she enjoyed and also gave her recommendations on restaurants and bars by the cliffs which had a beautiful view of the ocean. Somehow or rather, despite how busy she may get entertaining other guests, Debra is always there to greet you either in the morning or in the night when you return to the house.

Whenever we needed anything, there was Babuchi or Heman to help us, be it with breakfast, laundry services, or just getting a fresh lime soda. One thing I was really impressed with was that they bothered to make us a fresh cup of coffee on our first morning after we got back late for breakfast after some surfing, and the original cup of coffee had gotten a little cold/stale. We were perfectly fine with having that stale coffee but of course having a fresh one without asking too much for it was just perfect.

I would recommend this place in a heartbeat for anyone wishing to visit Varkala and looking for an oasis to rest and relax in. Thank you Debra and team we will see you again some time!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
KaiyaHouse, General Manager at Kaiya House, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you so much. It was so nice to have you here and great to keep in touch. I do hope we meet again. May you have glorious adventures!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
england
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Firstly apologies for the late review Debra and team.

My wife and I "moved in" to Kaiya House for 10 nights in January this year and made the Chinese Room our new second home!
From the moment we arrived to the day we very reluctantly left for our other home, Debra and all at Kaiya House created wonderful memories my wife and I will always treasure.
On arrival we were greeted by Debra who insisted on knowing "What can I do to make you happy". We would like to share a few details that did exactly that:
- Offering a spotlessly clean home that we were openly welcomed to share
- Providing excellent local knowledge through our orientation walk on arrival, restaurant recommendation, shopping hints & tips, festival suggestions etc
- Openly sharing stories of her life (make sure you look through the photo albums!)
- Helping my wife and I achieve our wish of having a Hindu Blessing in the local temple
- Allowing us, and other guests, free rein to assist with re-designing the Roof Top Terrace (we love the new boat/lounger!)
- Tirelessly entertaining us and other guests on the early morning coastal walk - highly recommended and keep an eye peeled for dolphins!
- Accommodating our every request and surpassing our expectations at every turn

This list could go on......

Thank you Debra, Babashi, Haman and all at Kaiya house for making our holiday so memorable.

If you have not done so already, go ahead and book!! You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms were nice
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
It was great having you here and interesting that we had 3 sort of long stay rooms at the same time! I'll always remember the late night dancing, laughing, the boat arriving, the temple blessing, it was fab! Hope to see you two again!
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We visited Deborah and the whole team in November not really know what to expect from Varkala or Kerala at all. We found in Kaiya House a warm and genuine family of people who run a guest house for the love of it. They all genuinely appreciate meeting and helping people and I have never felt so welcome.

Even when angry at the sometimes irritating ways things are done in India, I was very patiently assisted by Deborah who I can only now consider a friend.

She and the lovely house team at Kaiya are just lovely people. A very nurturing and enjoyable place to stay welcoming amazing people from all over the world.

Will go there again in a heartbeat.

Matthew, London

Room Tip: Every room is gorgeous. We tried to English room. Want to try them all.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
I hope that "heartbeat" happens and you return one day. It was wonderful meeting both of you and I love my mala! Thank you!
Massat, France
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Kaiya house has very good ratings because it deserves them. Deborah is exceptional in the time she has for all her guests. Sorting transport , advising on restaurants etc.. The rooms are lovely and comfortable.
If we return to India then we will certainly try and spend more time with Deborah.
Thanks to Deborah and the team for making us so welcome

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much and yes, 2 nights is short...maybe longer next time! Hope to see you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I spent three nights at Kaiya House and had such a good experience. Deborah was beyond accommodating. I had to do video calls to the US for work for two of the nights I was there and she went well out of her way to make sure the internet connection was working, to set me up in a comfortable space with a table, and to ensure that everything went smoothly. This is in addition to the tea and lovely snacks I was brought. The decoration and design of Kaiya House is so tasteful and the rooftop is heavenly. It was so peaceful and relaxing and Deborah is such a kind, giving and welcoming person. When an elephant walked by on the street, she ran up to find me so that I could see the elephant walk down the steps nearby (an amazing sight). The walk through town with her was lovely as well. Everything about my stay was wonderful and I highly recommend Kaiya House to others who are visiting. Thank you, Deborah, for everything!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
My pleasure! It was lovely to meet you and I hope our paths will cross again! So glad the Internet was working, in Kerala nothing is for sure! Thank you for your kind words!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed for four nights at Kaiya House, a truly unforgettable experience.

Debra offers a wonderful welcome - friendly, helpful and a great introduction to Varkala.

The house is beautiful. Calm, peaceful and filled with stunning works of art.

The breakfasts are delicious, whether going for one of the local Keralan cuisine or sticking to the Western choice.

The rooftop is a great space, has an energy that is conducive to relaxation and peace. (Exactly what you need when traveling in India!)

Do make use of Debra's clifftop hike if you get chance, it's a great way to see some beautiful countryside.

We would definitely stay here again!

Thanks Debra,

Paul & Sophie.
@thisisjukebox

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thisisjukebox
Thank you so much and I so hope you come back! It was great to meet you and your family!
Tring, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Debra offers so much more than just clean, attractive rooms. She really enjoys looking after her guests and making sure that they have a pleasant and safe visit to Varkala Beach. She was the perfect hostess and created a very friendly and happy atmosphere in her Guest House. Thank you Debra so much for a truly memorable stay

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
My pleasure. Thank you so much for staying with us and your kind words. I hope we meet again.