“Good value B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaiya House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Varkala
Kaiya House
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Varkala
Antarctica
“Good value B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights. We enjoyed our stay in two separate rooms. We were alright with the one that had no a/c but preferred the one with a/c as it does get really hot in Kerala. Debra was a great hostess even before we arrived. She helped us organize an affordable transfer from our previous hotel when they just wanted to overcharge. She then informed us in transit that there was a local festival on that day. We went to it and enjoyed it very much. She also gave us a brief orientation on the cliff and suggested a restaurant that became our hangout for meals. Breakfast was good. The rooftop was relaxing. The overall feel of the place was welcoming. There is no hot water but given the heat we did not mind that. Laundry was affordable. This place is service-oriented and great value.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KaiyaHouse, General Manager at Kaiya House, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. It was lovely to meet you and I'm glad the non a/c worked for you for that night. Happy future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

It is strange to write a review of accommodation that I will not be staying at, but in my case, Debra kind of persuaded me not to stay at Kaiya House by giving me a detailed description of what I could expect if I stayed with her during a local temple festival. She rightly guessed from my contact email that I would probably prefer somewhere quiet and, over the course of several emails, warned me about the hours when it would be noisy. I realised that this was not the best time for me to be there, so by warning me, she turned down business. Now that is what I call service - someone who is more interested in ensuring that their guests are happy than in making a dollar. No wonder her home is India's top rated accommodation!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was lovely to meet you and thanks for the chocolate! Such a treat!
Newark,Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here because it was rated number 1 and the price was right. Debra the hostess goes out of her way to make you comfortable! She gives you a walking tour of the area so you feel good about venturing out on your own. There's no hot water, she offered to bring us a pot but after seeing how hard she works and how good she was to us I didn't have the heart to ask for that. We took a room without A/C but it was fine. Our room and the whole place was immaculate. The other guests were just lovely too. We enjoyed each others company up on her terrace where you can sit and look at the palm trees. What could be better than this in Kerala! Oh yeah and a wonderful breakfast was included up on the terrace.

Room Tip: Every room is good. Don't stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank meeta4
Aw, thanks so much and I hope you'll return one day! Next time do ask for hot water if you want, not a problem. It's great that we're still in touch and maybe next time some singing on the roof?
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

This property is a bit removed from the action along the clifftops and is therefore a quieter place to stay despite being on a main road. Debra is an expert host, she kindly arranged a light meal for us on arrival and as promised, the local specialties for breakfasts were outstanding. The rooms are very comfortable and the open air sitting room on the rooftop is very enjoyable. The decor in this house has lots of artsy touches - paintings, sculpture, photographs and a new mural add to the artists' colony atmosphere.
We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay and greatly appreciated the orientation walk and the extended early morning walk Debra lead.

Room Tip: All rooms are great - each having its own special decor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank GregP9255
Happy the 4 of you had a good time. It was lovely to meet you and I enjoyed our conversations about art and all sorts. Happy future travels!
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I still can't process how amazing it was that we got to stay here. There is a reason why this is number 1 on trip advisor and it'll stay there for as long as Debra stays with Kaiya House. This place is more than just a bed and somewhere to replenish your hunger and tired body. It's a home you never knew you had. The house is extremely unique, the art decorating the walls is enough for a visit in itself. The roof terrace is just incredible, a space that everyone could dream of owning. Debra, the host, is one of the most amazing people i've ever met and I left Kaiya house wanting to plan my next trip to India and including this as one of the first and last destinations of my trip. If you're on here trying to find out if the beds are clean and the food is good then yes, tick to all of the above, the service is second to none and if you need anything then Debra and her staff are more than happy to make you happy. I truly loved this place, the people I met that shared the house, the roof terrace, the food, the room, the cool showers, the distance from the beach and restaurants and the fact that Debra offered conversation, knowledge, enthralling stories or simply peace and access to her interpretation of a home.

There was a festival on during our stay, it was around 20 minutes rickshaw drive away from Kaiya House, Debra offered us her knowledge of the festival and organised transport to and from the festival for everyone under her roof. Had we stayed elsewhere I doubt we would have had this experience, one that was so authentic and easy to attend. There is no hesitation from me or my girlfriend in recommending this place to anyone. Thanks Debra, see you again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Love your photo of the moon, magical! I'm also really glad you were able to have extreme festival experience! Hope to see you next season!
Kochi (Cochin), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay in Varkalla. There are beautifully decorated rooms to suit your place of origin or taste; English; African, Chinese. You will surely love the feeling at home. Not far from beach the house encourages your Art talent in moments of relaxing when not at beach.

Room Tip: See above and request the room of your choice of decoration.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words! I do love all the drawings guests do for us, quite fabulous!
Verden (Aller), Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Spent 6 nights at Kaiya House in January 2014 and can really recommend it. Debra is a wonderful person and she really makes Kaiya House what it is. Delightfully furnished "theme" rooms with treasures from around the world welcome the visitor. Debra is a continual source of information (what festivals are on, where is the next ATM, where can I go for a really good massage / meal etc.) and is always there to answer questions, make people feel happy and at home. I hope to be back soon !

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
I hope you're back soon also! Such a pleasure to have you here! Thank you so much!