“Home away from home and more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kaiya House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Varkala
Kaiya House
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Varkala
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Home away from home and more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

For once people of Tripadvisor... believe the hype! The other 5* reviews on here are spot on.
Kaiya house offers a truly remarkable experience, providing complete professionalism in a relaxed, home-stay environment.
It is very difficult to describe how wonderful our time at Kaiya house was... it would appear that others who have commented on TripAdvisor have also had a similar difficulty.
The property is clean and full of wonderful art work and artefacts. The rooms are "themed" to different cultures (Japanese room, Africa room etc.).The communal spaces within the property are beautifully designed and provide a wonderful location to meet fellow guests. The staff are local and provide extra services at extremely reasonable prices (fresh fruit juices, laundry services etc.). Above all it is the owner, Debra, who makes the stay at Kaiya truly remarkable - Her professionalism, honesty and energy are what makes Kaiya house #1 in Varkala on Tripadvisor - In our opinion Kaiya House should be #1 in all of India!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimbobs1012
KaiyaHouse, General Manager at Kaiya House, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thanks so much. The only sad bit was you had to go before New Years but it was so lovely having you both here. Happy future adventures!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

This place is the perfect place to stay because of Debra the owner. The walking tour she gives when you arrive makes all the difference and really lets you understand the lay of the land and saves a lot of time and headaches!

The rooms are very nice, though the bathrooms are a bit small. There are a lot of unique elements in the house itself which makes for an even more interesting stay! Its not on the main strip and beach, but its very close and convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely words. Yours was one of the first reviews of the season and started things rolling. I really thank you for that! Happy future adventures!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was my second visit to Kaiya House and it was amazing as before. I just wish i was there now.

Debra is the perfect hostess, she makes you feel special and goes out of her way to make sure you have a great time. One day she even took me shopping for "weird" gifts in the local town.

As soon as you walk through the door and are greeted by Debra and Babachi you just know you have come to the right place.

We will be coming back this year...and next year,,,,and the following year...etc.

Room Tip: All are great. I've slept in the India and the English room. The English room has a picture of a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gavin S
It was so wonderful to have you here again. You do make me laugh, great sense of humour. I hope we meet again.
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I can only echo all the other fantastic reviews given to Kaiya Place on Tripadvisor. It was because of the reviews that we chose Kaiya House and I can't add any more superlatives. Debra made our stay fabulous - her 7km walk is a must, and a new activity she organised was a boat trip along the coast just after sunrise. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words. It was really nice to meet you both. Happy travels in the future.
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed at Kaiya house for six nights at the beginning of December and loved every minute of my stay. Debra and the family are just amazing from wonderful breakfasts to early morning walks. Debra advised me on good places to shop and eat and all the goings on about Town. I Loved the whole house with its laid back atmosphere and beautiful decorations. The roof area is lovely for breakfast and night time tails with a beer in hand. Thank you so much for a wonderful and memorable time I really didn't want to leave. Georgina Jenner :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Georgie300185
And I didn't want you to leave either! You're a true inspiration. Hope you can come back sometime.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Apologies in advance for the number of superlatives I'd need to write this review!
This was my first trip to India, my first trip as a solo female traveller and I really couldn't have asked for a better experience. I had a bit of a wobble in Dubai airport after receiving some texts from friends and family telling me to take care and be safe etc... and subsequently realising I'd left my credit card at heathrow... But Debra allayed any worries I had from the moment I landed at cochi airport. She'd arranged a car to collect me and make the 4-5 hour journey, phoned the driver to speak to me and check I was ok, and gave me a tour of the house and area once I'd reached varkala. Debra and her team are the most warm, helpful, friendly and accommodating people you could hope to meet. There really is nothing that is too much trouble and they want to make sure you leave with wonderful memories, which I certainly have done. The room was really comfortable and I felt like everyone there was really taking care of me, and that I wasn't just 'the English lady in room 27' or something like that! The breakfasts were absolutely delicious and I would love to have that now in England - freshly grated coconut, banana and papaya, muesli and yoghurt... Pancakes one day - complete with Nutella from a little shop in varkala!
The massage I had on the roof terrace was amazing - I honestly don't think I'll have another as good as that in my life! Debra arranged several day trips : backwaters cruise, elephant ride, a local festival...
The house is great to meet fellow travellers and because it's slightly out of varkala it feels really safe - I never once worried for my safety during my trip (which I thought I might before I arrived).
This really was a trip of a lifetime and has left me with a huge desire to return to India in the near future. Thank you Debra and Babachi for everything! :-)

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rebecca S
I'm so glad you felt safe and at home. I know this reply is appallingly late, admin isn't my strongest point but I so appreciate the wonderful words that come from my guests. I hope we meet again.
Winterthur, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Thanks, Debra!! For making us feel at home, for caring, for doing everything to make us feel comfortable (changing rooms because the bed was too short :) ), for showing us around Varkala, for the beautiful early-morning-walks... the list goes on and on! You and your staff are doing a fantastic job! And we really liked the idea of the differently decorated rooms (Japan, China, India, Africa...).
It was hard to say goodbye after more than a week... Thank you so much and all the best!!
Simon and Steffi

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the house (China or Africa) are a bit more quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple