“Absolutely marvellous!”
Review of Kaiya House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Varkala
Kaiya House
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Last December we were staying there for one week. Extremely kind staff with an excellent choice of kerala breakfast taken at the open roof terrace. We were heartily welcomed by Debra and enjoyed the private caring and very helpful atmosphere in this house. We absolutely recommend staying there.
Gerlinde und Rudi

Room Tip: Choose a room facing to the garden. This might be quieter at night.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
KaiyaHouse, Manager at Kaiya House, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to do your lovely review. It was really nice to have you here and I'm hoping you'll do a return visit sometime. It was our complete pleasure.

There are newer reviews for Kaiya House

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed here on my maiden visit to india, and just loved the place, the place has wonderful rooms attached bathroom to add too, the previous reviewer say it all about htis place.
Debra is a wonderful host. I felt welcomed and taken care of the moment we arrived. I also was happy with the way the booking went to and how i finally ended up at this wonderful place,
maybe not so soon but in the near future i definitely shall visit this place and i am sure i shall be taken good care of!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
KaiyaHouse, Owner at Kaiya House, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you for your kind comment, a lot to live up to. I hope you'll visit Kerala again sometime. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

All the reviews you have read about this place are absolutely right : Kaiya House is spotless, serves great food, has wonderful staff etc. What makes it sing and gives it that unique charm is Debra's enthusiasm, her attention to detail, and, above all else, her genuine interest in those under her roof.
In addition to providing the best possible Kaiya experience, Debra assisted us in so many ways: by providing a very thorough introduction to Varkala; arranging transport; recommending an excellent houseboat operator and advising us on where to buy locally made goods.
Conversation on the wonderful roof terrace over coffee and a hearty breakfast was the perfect start to the Varkala day. We could go on - it's all been said before!
We began our holiday in Kerala at Kaiya House and came back for our last couple of days ...... It was a great decision!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank indiansummer12

Thank you so much for taking the time! I'll ever remember the walk we attempted in the wee hours of the morning and getting caught in a downpour! I was so pleased you choose to come back at the end and we had a few more days of Scottish humour in the house. I do hope we meet again, perhaps up your way!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

What a fantastic first impression and experience of Varkala.
I arrived at the House after a very long travel day and was immediately made to feel at home. The House itself is adorable and very comfortable, with a stunning rooftop. Perfect for yoga : )
But it is Deb, the owner, who really made the experience & stay as wonderful as it was. She is extremely hospitable and provides a great intro to the town.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank alexrobo13
KaiyaHouse, Manager at Kaiya House, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

I'm so happy you felt at home, there is nothing better I could wish for. I hope the rest of your travels in India were filled with learning and interesting experiences. Travel well and hopefully we'll meet again.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just back from 2 nights at the lovely Kaiya House. It's lovingly maintained with some beautiful artwork and decorative items. Each room has a theme (we stayed in the Japanese Room) which is delivered in a low key and tasteful way. Debra is great host, ably supported by her staff. Breakfasts will fill you for most of the day and nothing is too much trouble. I recommend Debra's orientation tour as Kaiya is about 10 minutes back from the beach, so it's useful to get your bearings. She also does a 7km beach walk at dawn on some mornings which is well worth going on.
There's no hot water in the en suite's, but you can ask for a bucket full from the kitchen and use the time trusted bucket and jug method. Rooms are spotlessly clean and well maintained and there is an enormous roof terrace where you take breakfast or while away a few hours.

Room Tip: The road outside is very quiet, so no issues with noise. Just choose whichever theme you like
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyAd1960

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a lovely review. I truly enjoyed chatting with both of you as it's interesting to share views of experiences of long stays in India. You also gave me some very helpful feedback and I appreciated very much your warmth and honesty. I hope we meet again.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed a whole 14 nights at Kaiya House which was a Godsend to us after travlling around Malaysia and India. At the end of our long travels we just wanted to put our bags down and enjoy the last bit of our travelling by chilling out a little. This was the perfect retreat for us. Debra was so very kind and nothing was too much trouble for her or her friendly staff. The house was spotlessly clean (and mosquito proof). You could choose whatever you wanted for breakfast which was great. It was so nice to get up when we wanted instead of having a set time. There are 2 most adorable dogs Edward and Sheba who are so funny at times. I was a little worried about having a cold shower but needn't have been as cold in India is luke warm here. Anyone thinking of going should not worry, as we are quite fussy where we stay etc. and we found Debra and her home just "Perfect" for us.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam522

I'm having to apologize to everyone for being late in thanking you on this site for your wonderful review. Although I sent a personal mail it's also important to thank you once again here. I love that you mentioned my dogs. I know the warm fuzzy feeling was mutual and they missed you when you left. It was great to have your energy in our home for a good long stay and I do hope you'll make your way to Varkala again sometime.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed in Kaiyas House for two nights and we didn't want to leave. It is simply the best place I have ever stayed. The house is beautiful, and the rooms are very clean, big enough and lovely decorated. There is a huge room terrace, where you can relax, practice yoga, have a cup pf lovely masala tea. The breakfast is the best I had in my whole stay in India.
There are no words to describe Debra's hospitality. She will take care of you and guide you so that you can have a wonderful stay in Varkala. Next time I visit Kerala, I will make sure I stay there longer.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank paocarrillo

Thank you so much for your review. I hope you understood my instructions for making chai! It was lovely to meet you and I hope to see you again.