Clafouti Beach Resort
Akhil Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$29
$46
$40
$33
Agoda.com
Varkala Marine Palace(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$19
$38
$37
$31
Agoda.com
All reviewsclafoutisthe cliffbeauty salonsea viewsea foodrestaurant servesoff seasonexcellent locationwalkable distancefirst floorfresh fishrooms are spaciouslakshmimassagedayanacottagemattress
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I liked everything. The room was comfortable.The best thing was the staff. Restaurant serves wonderful food. Hotel Breakfast is nice.The location of the hotel fantastic. It was a great hotel for a very good price.I loved this hotel. Everything was perfect.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank 657petya
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I loved the room, they were clean and i had a balcony with views of the ocean.
the place is wonderful.the room was clean and the housekeeping was very professional.
manager, who was extremely friendly and helpful. he showed us our rooms and immediately called housekeeping when we weren't satisfied with the cleanliness

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank nalingodi
Reviewed August 26, 2012

First appearences show beautiful traditional Keralan huts right on the seafront. In reality, the rooms are badly lit and extremely damp. The bathrooms are a nightmare and they were building a restaurant when we were there so construction all around us for 3 days. The manager was unhelpful and rude and there was no internet or eating facility as promised. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, there are FAR better places on the cliff

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tellitlikeitis31
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were looking to stay in Akhil Beach Resort but when we arrived there was major rebuilding work going on there, so the manager recommended that we stay in Clafouti which is close by and we took a look here and agreed to stay. Before checking in I asked the manager of Clafouti if there was any construction going on as I spotted lots of sand and gravel in the car park at the front. The manager said no there wasn’t any works going on.

The next morning we were awoken by hammering and drilling and when I looked outside I could see work was going on a building site for a huge new building at the cliff end of this resort, I think this is going to be a new restaurant. A lot of workers spend the day carrying sand and gravel past our door for the day and the path and grass was littered with sharp stones and gravel, I had to brush the stones away from the front of our cottage myself. I thought it was very dishonest of the manager to lie to us about the building work.

The place looks very nice at a glance but beware as its not very private and its wide open with no gates or fence at the cliff end so lots of people just wander in and out all day looking around, so if you want peace and solitude this is not the place to stay. The inside of the cottage was fairly damp, as it was monsoon when we were there when it rained the air inside became very moist everything inside became damp, the cottages are not very well insulated which is worth bearing in mind.

It seemed like the manager was only interested in making a quick buck out of us, when I asked about hiring a taxi to take us on a day trip to Ponmudi he said he would arrange it but gave us a price which was 500 rupees more than what I actually got it for from the helipad taxi rank.

The place itself is in a good location right on the north cliff and theres plenty of good places to eat right on its doorstep such as Hungry Eye (great for breakfast!) and the Rock n Roll Café just around the corner is a great place to hang out at night. As I said before good location but dishonest management.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DessyD
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The place is apparently very nice but our room was dirty with insects everywhere, especially a red ants colony in the bathroom : a nightmare! We had to change hotel after one terrible night of stay. Do not go there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple