“If Carlsberg did guesthouses...”
Review of Mummy Bamboo House

Mummy Bamboo House
Ranked #25 of 100 Varkala B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 26, 2010

Stayed at Mummy Bamboo House for the last 3 weeks and now I feel like part of the family. Great location under the palms and a stone throw from the Varkala cliffs, beaches and restaurants. Hammocks outside the rooms and smiles from every angle, this was a hard place to leave (I was only supposed to be staying a couple of nights). I highly recommend this place and will be returning next time i'm down there. Make sure you sample Rani's cooking!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosco_1986

Reviewed November 18, 2010

Returning to Mummy Bamboo House following a stay in February it was everything and more that I had remembered. Rani was wreathed in smiles when she recognised me in the taxi and the warm welcome with tea was just what we needed after a long road trip to get to Varkala.
I was a bit anxious about the building work that was reported in a previous review but the new building next door is attractive and not overbearing.
Helpful as ever Rani helped track down a lost pair of spectacles that had been left in our taxi from Periyar.
On our last evening we had a lovely communal meal served on banana leaves by Rani and her family which was quite delicious despite the fact they had all been off to a wedding in the afternoon.
Our transfer to the airport by Sudhanan's taxi went smoothly the next morning. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this little hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ipy
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Stayed at Mummy Bamboo House for the last few days of my four week trip to India (and trip around the world). Felt like at home the second I arrived. Rani and her beautiful family will make sure you have the best stay at Varkala.

Great location and terrific value. The nicest food spots and bars are just a few metres away. Best hosts and the most delicious food. Make sure you let Rani prepare dinner for you (best food I had in India).

Already looking forward to going back some time in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 16, 2010

My girlfriend and I intended on staying in Varkala for a couple of days. Unfortunately I had a nasty infected mozzie bite which meant a few trips to the local hospital. This was a blessing in disguise at it meant we stayed far longer than intended (10 days in total) and we loved it. The room was spotless as was the tiled veranda in front with a hammock that was perfect for lazing in. The location is perfect, 1 minute from the cliff but down a quiet little palm tree lined passageway. Rani and her family live right next door and they were the highlight of our stay. Their warmth and hospitality was incredible and there is always someone around which makes it feel more like a homestay than a guesthouse. Rani's banana and coconut pancakes with tea every morning for breakfast was a great way to start the day. We also had a cooking lesson which was brilliant - the food she cooks is delicious!
In short, Rani is a gem and I cannot recommend this place highly enough! :) I hope to go back one day

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jerome1980
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Great value for money. The rooms are not the most elaborate you'll see, but have everything you need (mosquito nets, fan, even a balcony and a hammock..), and all rooms are very clean.
The location is perfect as well.

But what makes this place so special are the owners. Rani & Suhanan. Beautiful people, who are as nice as they come, and soak you in their hospitality. Not only will they pick you up from the airport, but they'll help you with whatever you need.

All in all, highly recommended place. And next time I go back to Varkala (which I will definitely will!) I'll be sure to stay in the Mummy Bamboo House!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Our stay at Mummy Bamboo House has been one of the highlight of our trip in South India! I can only confirm other travellers' good reviews: the rooms and bathrooms are basic, but clean and nice (we stayed in the first floor rooms, each room has its own terrace and a common area at the top of the stairs).
But the best part of the stay, far beyond expectations, is the family's warm welcome. Rani is an exceptionnal host, and the whole family is really involved in a friendly relationship, not only the basic commercial relationship you might expect. You get the feeling they really care and that you can have a balanced relationship: we are curious about their way of living and traditions, they also want to know us (we travelled with two teenagers).
We particularly liked the cooking class with Rani, her mother and sister-in-law, the malayalam lesson with Arya, and I liked the ayurvedic treatments at the nearby clinic. But the every day chat in the morning or at night was also very nice!
The only thing that might moderate our enthusiam is that we stayed off season: the neighborhood was rather peaceful with a moonsoon weather. As new houses has been built all around Mummy's, I assume that the privacy and "being at home" feeling might be spoiled by neighbours staying next door, pretty close actually from your balcony...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I loved Mummy Bamboo. It is a basic family run homestay in a great location just set back from the cliff. The shops, restaurant and beach are less than a minutes walk away. The room that we stayed in was basic but spotless and we opted for aircon which had no time restrictions. I would definitely recommend this as a great place to stay in Varkala as it was great value for money compared to other hotels/B&B's we viewed.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple