“the perfect place to relax”
Review of Mummy Bamboo House

and 1 more site!
Mummy Bamboo House
Ranked #13 of 97 Varkala B&B and Inns
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“the perfect place to relax”
Reviewed April 13, 2011

went here with the idea of moving on after a few days but it was such a welcoming place we ended up spending 12 days,its close to the cliff but if you want to just laze about in a hammock reading its very peaceful.Rani's cooking is great with the food as fresh as you'll get anywhere ,the rooms were clean and nothing seemed to be any trouble for them .we went to a festival with Sudan and his son which was really entertaining, my wife wants to go back which is odd, because she normally doesn't like to vist places more than once which says it all.

Room Tip: get the hammock before your partner
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debbyian

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Nice basic clean rooms central to Varkala beach. Just off the main path of the cliff but enough to be a bit secluded and quiet. Beds clean and comfortable. Good mozzie net. Clean bathroom. Cold water only but not a problem as tends to come out warmish! AC if wanted. Very good value. Nice hosts though didn't end up seeing them that much. Sorted us out with cheap bikes and also arranged taxi at a fairly good rate. Nice sit out areas and hammocks. Be warned you are in tourist central though.. Great for western food and facilities but not very Indian, apart from the hassling that is! Varkala town the complete opposite and enjoyed cheap local food and cheap tailoring unlike the beach area. Thanks for the recommendation Rani. Good choice.

• Stayed March 2011
Singapore
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We arrived here on our first day in India with Sudhanan meeting us at the airport. He took us in his plush dusty psychedelic taxi, driving madly but skillfully, for breakfast! His wife, lovely Rani, made our stay simple but comfortable. The room conditions are humble, with the occasional lizard, but sturdy mosquito netting and all you need. We had ONE OF THE BEST BREAKFASTS OF OUR LIVES the morning she made idli with coconut chutney (freshly shaved in her backyard!), not to mention the divine banana pancakes the next day. Staying here means staying close to Rani and her extended family, and experiencing more than the pseudo-hippy tourist-area of the Varkala beach.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2011

lovely spot just off the cliffs. Mummy is really lovely and looks after her guests as only a mum can. nice clean rooms with mozzie nets. very good prices compared to the rip-off hotels.

• Stayed March 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I stayed here when I arrived in Kerala on my own. I had never travelled to India on my own before and my flight was getting in at 3am so I was really happy that Rania's (the owner) husband was able to come collect me from the airport. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I arrived there but fell in love with my room immediately....I think it was the hammock and Rania bringing me a cup of chai that did the trick! The rooms are very simple and very clean. The thing I really loved about staying her was Rania, she would come over as soon as I got up up to ask if I'd like chai and a banana pancake! If I wished I could go back there for lunch or dinner as well. You really felt looked after and she was so helpful. I will definately go back when I go to India again later this year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Just stayed for 16 days with Rani, Sudanan and their lovely family. The rooms were nice and clean, the service was excellent, but most of all did we enjoy the warm feeling of being part of their family.
Our little 4 year old girl was playing great with all the kids from the family, and it was truly heartbreaking to have to leave again. We will definitely come back.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We initially arranged to stay our first 3 nights in India with Rani at Mummy Bamboo House but we liked it so much we returned for our last few nights as well. Rooms are basic but clean with great balconies and en-suite bathrooms - we didn't miss hot water as it was so hot it was refreshing to have cool showers. The location is superb, a few minutes from the cliff top and close to the very good selection of restaurants and bars -also good value. Rani was brilliant, organising everything we needed from a massage, trip on houseboat, tuk tuk rides to local sights, taxis with her husband to and from the airport plus made us banana and coconut pancakes for breakfast and wonderful Tali which she and her family served us. We loved Varkala and the beach but you do need to take note of the lifeguards as there is quite an undertow on some days.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple