“Superb week at Sanctum Spring”

Sanctum Spring Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Varkala
Calgary,Alberta
“Superb week at Sanctum Spring”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

More then a hotel resort -- a haven of peace and efficiency.As a couple of retired Canadians visiting India for 3 months we found this Hotel the best of our journey. Varkala beach lays its beautiful golden sand crescent and green azure seas at the bottom of a reddish cliff lined with palm trees . The hotels are on top of the cliff, most packed at the middle. At one end on a wide space , away from noise, the good-looking, modern hotel sits secluded in a large green garden. Great rooms with Ocean views, sparkling clean. Everything works. Well-trained and dependable staff add friendliness to superb service and work as a team. . A little restaurant with lawn extensions has a hidden gem of at cook who prepare delicious Kerala specialties and others at good price.. No doubt this reflects an excellent manager's skills who has also gone out of his way to help us find services,a, plan the rest of our trip etc..Thanks Mr Roby Thampy and team

Room Tip: Upper-floor rooms provide better views of Arabian sea
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was travelling to Varkala on my own, and wanted to book somewhere in advance so that I wouldn't be stranded at the busiest time of year. I came across Sanctum Spring on Booking.com and thought it looked good (although I hadn't had any personal recommendations) - and I feel SO lucky that I found it.

Overall picture: incredibly friendly and helpful staff who will go out of their way to accommodate any needs; lovely rooms - spotlessly clean and bright, with balconies overlooking the garden with a view of the sea; ideal location - it's on the Helipad (basically a large open car park space) which means it's set slightly apart from the main bustle of the clifftop shops and restaurants, so it's quiet at night - but still just a 1-minute walk from all the action! Also nice touches like beach towels supplied, a fresh fruit juice on arrival...

I can't stress enough how nice and friendly everyone who worked here was, starting with Roby the manager, through to the front desk and housekeeping staff. My luggage got lost, so I was feeling a bit sorry for myself when I arrived (they arranged a car to collect me) - and to cheer me up, I was upgraded to a suite for my first couple of nights! Roby also helped me call hotels in Kochi when I was moving on, and even let me leave my suitcase there when I went away for a couple of nights to the backwaters. It's those extras that you remember.

The rooms are very pleasantly decorated - not too fussy, white walls; white cotton bedlinen; wooden furniture; clean tiled bathrooms - and everything worked. Early on, there was a problem with the A/C in my room, but this was due more to the frequent power cuts in the area, and was sorted out very quickly. The beds might be quite hard for some people, but this didn't bother me.

I think Sanctum Spring would make an ideal base for any stay in Varkala - it's excellent value for money considering the service you get and the rooms, and a definite cut above lots of other hotels and guesthouses I stayed at in Kerala. You are minutes from the busy strip along the clifftop and a 2-minute walk from the beach. I didn't eat in the restaurant (there are so many places nearby that I always went out) but the breakfast of fresh fruit juice, eggs and toast and fruit (on request) sets you up for the day.

I stayed here for 3 nights when I first arrived in Kerala - before moving on to Kochi, Aleppy etc - and then went back to Varkala again for 6 nights at the end. I could've stayed wherever I wanted for the second stretch, as I knew the area by then and what else was on offer - but I returned to Sanctum Spring without a moment's hesitation. And I think that really says it all...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Holsworthy, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights and had a wonderful time. All the staff were exceptionally pleasant and very helpful at all times - nothing was too much trouble. This is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in; the room was very clean with AC, fan, TV, large ensuite shower and had nice touches like fresh flowers. There is a restaurant downstairs and Wifi is available in all rooms. The location is great as it is very peaceful with nicely kept gardens, but under 5 minutes to the beach, numerous shops, cafes and bars. We watched dolphins on several occasions from the cliff top. The hotel accepts credit cards which is useful as the nearest ATM is a 20 minute walk away. We were sorry to leave and cannot praise the hotel highly enough. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the sea and each has a balcony where you can watch the sunset.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Not the closest hotel, but very good. The hotel is basically situated at the head of the entrance to the main cliff road. I say road, because it looks like a sidewalk, people are walking all over it, but cars as big as Innova's (mid size suv) drive on it too. I like the fact that the location is not too close to the noise.

They have a generator which keeps the power running even when the city is blacked out.

The restaurant is very good. They setup a nice table on the grass with candles at night and cook fresh seafood as it's ordered. We had a couple of Red Snapper and it was fantastic. We found it nice to not be bothered by the constant "noise" of the street hawkers on the main road restaurants.

The beds are hard, but that's good for you health right? Actually, our backs felt great. The balcony is large, and there are two laid back rattan chairs facing the ocean. We watched the sunset from our seats.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at Sanctum Springs towars the end of our 5 week stay in India, and really enjoyed it. The staff at this place is very helpfull and serviceminded and will do what they can to accomodate your needs. The rooms are very spacious and clean,with balconys overseeing the arabian sea. The hotel is located by the cliffside, about 5 min walk to the beach and a whole bunch of reastaurants and vendor shops, so you will find whatever you need within a a short distance. I will recomend this hotel to anyone coming to Varkala for a holiday or even a long time stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies overseeing the arabian sea
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tufte
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was there and really enjoyed my stay. The hotel doesn't actually have a restaurant for lunch and dinner, but that hardly matters seeing as there are so many restaurants just a 20 -30 meters walk away

The room was really big , nice, clean and well maintained. The manager was cordial and always around to help and perfectly friendly too. He arranged very early morning drop to railway station and indeed really important for rest of my Kerala tour.

You can have breakfast in the hotel, they do omlettes, tea, toast and jam, fruit etc etc. This hotel is probably best located on the cliff.
If I went back to Varkala again that's where I'd be staying,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I would strongly recommend to all this hotel.The staffs are really friendly and make you feel at home.Their services are beyond words.I really enjoyed my stay wen i was there with my family during this june.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family