“Tranquility and hospitality in a peaceful package...must visit!”
Review of Shiva Garden

and 1 more site!
Shiva Garden
Ranked #18 of 98 Varkala B&B and Inns
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Tranquility and hospitality in a peaceful package...must visit!”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I found Shiva Garden while looking for homestays on the internet. I loved the vibe on the photos and decided to check it out. Jayan was helpful and informative and even came to escort us to the place in his car.
The thali they serve there is authentic, kerala family style. No frills, just good wholesome food. The apartment we stayed in was clean, spacious and comfortable, though we spent most of our time in the hutch chatting with other travellers. There are 2 friendly dogs to keep you amused.
Will definitely stay here when I visit Varkala again in January.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
pune
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Hi,

I came to know about shiva garden through some traveler’s forum..Initially I was bit skeptical about the place but I was wrong in all possible means..Shiva garden is one of the best places I have stayed in wile I was on a holiday..In a town where there are almost 300 resorts/hotels..Shiva garden stands right on top, and different from the rest..I have stayed in 5* hotels in India and in Europe but staying at Shiva garden was an equally good experience.

The place in nice, clean and with lots of greenery..the owner Jayan is a gentleman and a very sensible, well mannered person. I have met very few people like him. He has maintained the place well and even in off season, the service remains perfect. He would take you around places you have never seen before and yeah the food cooked at Shiva garden is 'DAMN TASTY'..Every one going to Varkala has to stay there.

All in all, I had a wonderful experience there..I say if you want peace in its true meaning, Shiva garden is the place for you..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank anand4frnz
south germany
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I have found "Shiva Garden" online while researching accomodation for my August/September 2009 trip. It was the right choice. I felt very much at home and enjoyed my days in Varkala very much.
I was back in India in December, this time with hubby, and there was no question that we also want some chillout time in Varkala and of course stay in "Shiva Garden" again.
It's really a lovely place and it is always hard to leave....what makes it easier is to know that I will come back, for sure.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Me and a friend of mine went backpacking in Kerala and Shiva garden was the first place we stayed in. We were supposed to stay for 2 nights but ended up staying for 4 because of how much we loved the place. Jayan the owner was the kindest, most respectful man I met in India. He picked us up when we were soaked and chilled with us all the time. He gave us much useful advice and recommendations. Through-out our trip we've stayed in many homestays all over Kerala but didn't find one that was comparable to Shive garden. When we were heading back to Trivandrum from Goa we missed Jayan and the garden so much that we just had to stop at Varkala to stay for one more night. He let us in at 2 a.m. and the next day dropped us off at the airport.
Thank you Jayan and Vinod. We will never forget you!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nasrawi
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Jayan is a fine host - very helpful, very well-mannered, very kind.

The place itself is very comfortable (nice beds, rooms, etc) and designed so that guests can enjoy the garden outside.

Here it feels like I am staying in a home, not in a hotel. It's lovely here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
london
Reviewed April 22, 2010

We spent a wonderful 12 days at shiva gardens, it was hard to pull our selves away. We want to say a big thank you to all at shiva for making our stay so much fun.

The covered outside area was perfect for meeting other people and a great place for just chilling and Reading. A few minutes from the beach too, just perfect! Shiva was well within our budget too as we're travelling around for some time. Oh and the wooden boat trip on the backwaters was great too, very peaceful.

We would reccommend it to everyone!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Shiva Garden is just another of the many guest houses near Varkala Cliff. It's lacking in fresh breeze because it's a 5 minute walk from the cliffs, but I ended up staying here after the first night rather than searching out other lodgings because of the nice atmosphere in the "garden" (really just a roofed hutch) where backpackers were convening. Met lots of great people this way.

The place is average, perhaps a little below in cleanliness. You should be able to barter a 400 rs room down to 250 for either one OR two people in the off season. They may try to charge you for internet, but I think as long as you're not online 24/7 and don't check the computer just before checking out, they generally forget.

Overall, a half decent place to stay. Felt very safe here as a solo female traveler.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo