Shiva Garden
$37
  • Breakfast included
$37
$88
Akhil Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$24
Deshadan Cliff & Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$39
  • Breakfast included
$70
$53
Agoda.com
Kshetra Beach Resorts(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$15
$11
Clafouti Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$24
  • Beachfront
Black Beach Resort(Varkala)(Great Value!)
$21
$20
Orbitz.com
All reviewsperfect placemasala dosadining tableoffer yogainteresting peoplelaid backindian standardsmorning yogamosquito netdouble bedhighly recommend this placemin walksoniareikidormhammockschill
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Writing a review about Shiva Garden is like writing a review of the Sistine Chapel. How could I ever do it justice? After 11 months on the road, this remains my very favorite guest house. I stumbled on it by luck and made friendships with people who I traveled with, met up with, and am still in touch with. It is run by wonderful people who make you feel at home immediately. From the moment I arrived to a smile and chai from Jayan, tired from my journey, to jam sessions on the pillows, to our own little South India Holi, to parting farewells. There are rooms to suit every budget and I splurged a bit for one of the rooms in the building where the kitchen is. Quite a lovely room! I have recommended this place to other travelers and when I return to India, Shiva Garden will be one of the reasons I do.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Fleamike
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I came to Siva Garden after a friends recommendation and felt totally at home for the first time in my 4 month stay in India. (which included changing accommodation every 3 dayd so by this point i had been resident jn ALOT of guesthouses) Owner Jayan and the staff immediately made me feel welcome and comfortable. It offers excellent value for both accommodation and food/drinks. Set back from the main hub of Varkala yet still minutes from the beach, the atmosphere is peaceful and relaxed as well as offering you the opportunity to be a social butterfly should you wish thanks to it's communal garden complete with hammocks and swing. For me Siva Garden offered the perfect place to relax, read and meet new friends (cheesy but true) and lead me to extend my stay from 5 days to 2 weeks simply because I didn't want to leave!!

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Oneblondejess
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We loved staying at Shiva Garden.
Location is good, walking distance to beach. Breakfast included and delicious.
Deluxe room was not so deluxe but clean and comfy beds.
Thank god for the fan!
Owners and staff were very friendly and helpful.
One negative - a bit overpriced. There are cheaper (and newer) rooms around closer to the beach if you are prepared to rock up and find accom on the spot.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ELB5555
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had an incredible two week stay at Shiva Garden in Varkala!

The owners, Jayan and Sonia, made us feel at home and are two of the kindest people I've ever met! The food there was incredible. We ate a traditional Keralan thali almost every day, and the prices were more than reasonable. The accommodation was lovely, and after a week in one of the regular rooms, we were allowed to move into one of the apartments for our final week, with no raise in price. Sonia and Jayan were incredibly helpful during our stay and for my birthday they took us out onto the backwaters to visit Golden Island. My girlfriend was having yoga lessons every morning with Sonia up on the rooftop, despite Sonia being eight months pregnant. The location of the guest house was perfect too. Just a five minute walk from the beach and only a two minute tuk-tuk drive to get to Varkala town. Every time we wanted to go somewhere, Jayan would call for a tuk-tuk for us so we barely had to lift a finger. Subash was one of the staff at the guest house and though he didn't speak much English, he was an incredible worker and saw to all our needs. Lots of young travelers would show up to stay for a night or two and the dining table was a great place to meet other people from all over the world. If you're traveling alone, as a couple or in a group, Shiva Garden is an ideal place to stay when you're in Kerala. I highly recommend it!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank caipriestley
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at Shiva Garden twice - once in high season, once in low season. Both times were fantastic - Jayan and Sonia are so down to earth, and really will try to accommodate you no matter what you budget and requirements are. It's tucked slightly back further from the beach, which means it's a total square of peace, away from the hustle and bustle. There are big tables for people to meet, games and books, hammocks and my favourite - A GIANT SWING. That's a reason to visit on its own. There are basic dorms for those on a real budget as well as pricier but prettier rooms. In short, something for everyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo