“Wish I stayed longer” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 96 Varkala B&B and Inns
Łódź, Lodz, Poland
“Wish I stayed longer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed in Shiva Garden only one night because I was rushing but when I got there I regreted I didn't have more time. The rooms I saw were ok, no stunning views on the ground floor but all I needed was there and I could use the internet in the reception. This place's strong advantage is its atmosphere. Chilling in the open-air restaurant in the evening was a sheer pleasure and spontaneous freestyle singing by the owner accompanied by drums was a nice surprise. He was doing pretty well... People running the place are really nice and helpfull. I fully recommend.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor next to the main gate... next time I'll definitely choose first flo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank VagabondVrba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Paonia, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

We spent two nights at Shiva Garden, spent 600/night on a basic but good room. The real draw is the "garden," an outdoor area with tables and a lounge area and hammocks. The staff were friendly, and the kitchen served good breakfasts. The place seems to attract the backpacker type, at least there was a whole friendly crowd of them while we were there. Make sure the fan in your room works before checking in, or it will be a hot night. Screened windows would be nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ben D
Trivandrum, Kerala, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

After a long week of work I arrived at Shiva Garden on Friday night. I was actually planing to come the weekend before, but couldn't make it and it was no problem at all to just postpone my booking. I also spontanously braught 3 friends along and that also was easy going. They even picked us up from the train station for free and when I entered Shiva Garden's door I felt like walking into paradise. Everything is so green, there heaps of hammocks, a giant swing and a big chill area to just stay and not leave ever again =) everybody was sooo nice and welcoming and I met so many cool backpackers. So it's a perfect place to get in touch. I stayed at the dorm up on the roof, with the sky as a blanket and beautiful sonia's yoga class to wake up to. If you want something simple, but creative and with a wonderful spirit to it...Shiva Garden is your place! I will definetly have it as my treat after my working weeks =)

Room Tip: If you are happy with a mattress and don't need all the fancy tourist luxury, go for the dorm...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Luise F
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

Best place we stayed during 4 weeks in India. Rs800 a night. Clean. Friendly staff. Great location, 3 mins from North Cliff.

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank David A
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I arrived around midday and the warmhearted Sonja welcomed me in a very lovely way.
They gave me a matress covered with a moskitonet in the dorm on the rooftop. Simple but extremly cheap and charming. The athmosphere at this guesthouse is really gorgeous. Its like one big family where you always feel at home. The garden is beautiful and perfect to relax at the chill out area. From time to time they are doing barbeque with an amazing danceshow from small indian boys and from Sonja herself. Just lovely. I intended to stay a few days but finally stayed more than one week. Not only great for budget travellers but for everybody who like to get in touch with this awesome place!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Simon W
Brighton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

I arrived in Varkala a day ahead of my original schedule so needed somewhere for one night. I called Jayan at Shiva Garden on the recommendation of a friend and he said he had a room for me. When I arrived, he wasn't there and a young guy called Vishnu told me the original room was no longer available and offered me another one, adding on 30% to the price. I can honestly say it was the worst room I've ever been shown, with the most basic bathroom, one tiny towel, ancient electrics and a wire strung across the room with a couple of coat hangars on it for storage. There were also no nets on the windows to prevent bugs/mosquitos etc. Luckily, I had noticed a place next door when we arrived so I called them (the Akhil or Preeth resort) and booked into a room there. When I told Vishnu I wasn't staying he immediately backtracked and offered me the room at the original rate.

Maybe if you're a backpacker with very low standards or a very low budget you would put up with this, but I certainly wouldn't. I wasn't expecting luxury for the price, but I was expecting something simple and welcoming. I saw that another reviewer described their room as a hippy cell and that's spot on. You can get much better value in Varkala than this place.

Room Tip: Don't - go somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

Very helpful manager before and during our stay. You will not feel a stranger here, there is a good vibe and everybody seems open for a talk. They seem to have people staying for long periods. It is a good place if you are traveling solo and want to meet other travelers or just chat for a while.
We took a double bungalow with one room each, but effectively you can sleep up to 6 or 7 people there. This place is not right by the beach and you would need to walk about 10 minutes to get there. Not a big deal, but a closer place will allow to go down to the beach early in the morning when it is at its best.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family