“Wonderful place, but good be improved”

Varkala SeaShore Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 97 Varkala B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Wonderful place, but good be improved”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

It is a really beautiful location at south cliff, away from all the hustle an bustle od south cliff. The complex is beautiful and very well kept. The two garden houses are nice with seaview but pretty expensive...we stayed in one of the room in the main building, unfortunately not so very nice, very dark rooms, noisy (TV at the reception), clean, but very small and the bathroom ist equipped with cheap stuff. The service in the beginning was terrible, we even had to ask to get new toilet paper an towels...this was really poor! In the end the service was much better!

Room Tip: best option is the garden houses with ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RainerBerllin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Goettingen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent xmas holidays in this clean,well maintained resort. We love our rooms, and the way down to the beach. The hammocks, the beach and the waves, and sunset are remarkable highlights of this year xmas. Almost all comments on Tripadvisor are fitting to this property, so I cant add more valuable informations to others.The staff is nice and helpful. The location is quiet (in Indian relation), it`s only a 15 min walk on the beach to North cliff, where all the restaurants are.
The only thing I have to criticize is the construction of the bathrooms. If you take a shower, the whole bathroom is wet, and because of the climate it will not dry.

Room Tip: Especially the more comfortable (5000 rp) rooms are recommended by us.
1 Thank Azador
Peterborough, NH, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I and our two kids (11 and 14) just spent 4 nights at Seashore. I learned about it online and took a chance based on ratings and comments on TripAdvisor. What an amazing experience! Shine and Arun are simply wonderful people who are most helpful. He offered a car ride from Alleppey free of charge (unfortunately we didnt get that email in time to take advantage of it). The place is immaculate - Shiny floors, green garden, very well and stylishly furnished. Extremely quiet. It is flanked by two other residences and both are also quiet - no construction or anything going on. I couldn't say one bad thing about our accommodations!

The first day we asked for tea to be delivered early morning, and then on Arun delivered it every morning without asking for it :-) The breakfast - fresh juices, curds, eggs,... everything was really delicious. The only thing I wish is... I wish they offered some good Kerala cuisine for dinners there! That would be really nice, Shine!

One day we found that there was no hot water flowing. When I told Arun about it - his expression instantly showed a genuine feeling of concern and guilt. It was obvious he felt extremely terrible about it. He told Shine and immediately they ran up to the solar heater and fixed the small air bubble that had gotten trapped and fixed it.

When they called for auto-rickshaws for us, a couple of times the same guy came - which was nice. They seem to have a good network of people around town. The driver of the taxi they arranged for us at the end of the stay had really good things to say about Shine - that he is a very good man who gets a lot of respect from people in Varkala.

Other good touches - free beach umbrellas, beach towels, awesome hammocks, wifi (although our room was out of range so I had to be in the main building area for the wifi signal - another idea for you Shine!).

All the guests we encountered were quiet and considerate. There were other kids and babies there too. We felt completely safe there. Our kids had a room to themselves and we never once felt concerned about it.

The 150 or so steps to the beach lead you to a very quiet, almost private beach! Most amazing. And still - within 15 mins you can walk to the North Cliffs for all the shops and restaurants.

I would most definitely stay there again - with kids or without and would highly recommend to all friends and family.

Thank you for a wonderful experience, Shine and Arun. My thanks to all your extended staff also.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JH_USA
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here over Christmas 2012 and, despite the rather inflated prices for the Christmas period, we had a good time. The rooms are extremely comfortable and the air conditioning is the best we have had in India by far. The views from the hotel are absolutely amazing and it is great to have a stretch of beach effectively to yourself and a few other guests. We would have rated it five out of five, but the breakfast area could do with a bit of work - it lets the place down a little. However do not let that put you off, it's a very good hotel with very good staff. Mr Shine, the owner, is also a decent bloke.

2 Thank Zedward
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have just left this morning after a 7 day stay. This is a great place to stay, a bit removed from he action but peaceful and quiet as a result and only 70 rupee taxi ride to the helipad/ North Cliff restaurants. Steps down the cliff to a really good beach which is quieter than the main beach area. Fantastic sunsets over the sea from the hotel garden, which is lush lawn due to the sprinklers, lots of hammocks. Really good breakfasts which are included in the price. Veranda rooms seem best value at 3000 rupees.

Best thing is the staff who are really nice people, everything comes with a smile. Also the place felt very safe and secure, the manager, Shine, is a good guy and clearly runs the place very professionally.

My only gripe was that the aircon was not always available, and not just during the power cuts ( which affect every place), but I am a bit grumpy about stuff like that and none of my family + friends were at all bothered.

Definitely one to go for.

Room Tip: Veranda rooms are cheaper and have their own hammock which the expensive garden rooms do not.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Keith_Greenfield
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I just received an email from Shine - the fantastic manager - wishing myself and my partner Merry Christmas and I remembered I HAD to write a review about this place.

Everything was arranged over email in advance - a late pick up from Trivandrum airport was sorted for us and we had a nice chap waiting for us when we arrived around midnight. After an hour (and a bit) long drive to the hotel, we found the team waiting for our arrival, ready to carry our bags. We fell into bed and deep sleep.

The next morning we woke to a kind of paradise. While the resort is simple (we're not talking pools and butlers here folks) it was just perfect - the beautifully tended green walkway headed straight for a cliff that overlooked the pounding blue ocean. It was magnificent.

Because the resort is on South Cliff and tucked away down a side road, it has the joy of feeling secluded without being too distant from the main action - just what we wanted. There are a long set of steps that lead to a secluded beach as well, so you can swim quite comfortably right at the hotel - the only time we had trouble was when a group of young schoolkids kept harassing us and following me (I was well covered up, before you jump to conclusions) and Shine and the team were quick to yell at them from the cliff top where the hotel was - the kids were supposed to be in school anyway so I didn't feel too bad about having them moved on.

One night from the cliff top we watched an incredible lightning storm out over the sea and the sunsets are nothing short of incredible from that vantage point. They even went out and bought us some beers and kept them cold in our fridge for whenever we wanted them and we just paid for how many we drank at the end of our stay.

Our room was spacious enough - it was basic but spotless and the air con worked (almost) perfectly (it went off one humid night). The bathroom was the same. We had a neat little terrace just right for reading, equipped with a hammock and swing chair, and a load of hammocks were situated at the end of the grassy lawn so you could choose where to be. Our breakfast was included and was enough to keep us going through half of the day!

And best of all, Shine is absolutely lovely - willing to sort anything out for you. We had originally reserved two nights, then changed it to four, then five but had to cancel the last night on the morning of what was supposed to be our last stay. He didn't charge us and was so relaxed about it all that it made everything feel comfortable.

I can't recommend this place enough. It was a highlight of our month-long stay in India - the team are professional and friendly. And I was glad to not be staying in super busy North Cliff right where the bars and restaurants are. It is a 20-minute walk down there so if you're keen to be where the action is, this place might not be for you. But if you love a bit of seclusion and amazing views, this place hits the spot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alwynne G
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

It doesn't get much better than this! My husband and I have recently returned from a trip to India and we spent 9 days at the Seashore Beach Resort its in a beautiful location with fantastic views the rooms are spacious and clean, the grounds are well maintained and the staff are friendly and helpful my husband celebrated his birthday whilst we were staying here and the owner Shine bought him a birthday cake and a gift which was waiting for us when we went for breakfast and all the staff came out to wish him a happy birthday, the beach is assessable by a set of steps at the bottom of the garden this beach is much quieter and in our opinion much nicer than the main beach and you can walk along the beach to get to the north cliff where most of the restaurants and shops are. Thanks again to Mr Shine and all the staff for making my husbands birthday one to remember!

3 Thank Punkpixies