“AN OLD HOTEL IN A NARROW STREET”
Review of Maurya Rajadhani

Maurya Rajadhani
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We checked in Maurya Rajadhani by mistake as we got wrong information about our booking. the reception looks quite good. The rooms are congested and the toilet is so crammed with an automatic door which needs a truck to push in. The sink was blocked and the tub is too small to stand and take a bath without someone holding you for the scare of slipping and falling out. Food is horrible but the service is excellent. No toiletterys, nothing in the mini bar. Just a hotel where one can stay when he could not find any alternatives

Room Tip: better go elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PRABHU60
gmmaurya, General Manager at Maurya Rajadhani, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Mr.Prabhu,
Thank you for your feedback.I have cross checked your views,please find below our observations on the same.
ROOM SIZE: Govt.of India has set a standard of 140 sq feet for the guest bed room and 36 sq ft for the bathroom/toilet,we have been inspected and certified by Govt,without which we cannot operate this business.(we are a classified 4 star hotel since the last 06 years) .
However one of you stayed in a deluxe room (#405)and you were upgraded to a suite(#404) which is much bigger than the standard rooms(guest room with a living room 200sq ft and toilet is 45sqft) so the comment that a small rooms/ room was given to you is untrue.

MINI BAR-the next comment that the mini bar was not empty is also incorrect, on inspecting the housekeeping records,it show that mini bar was refilled (at 15.00 hours)you checked in at 18.14 hours as per records,and that you have not consumed anything from the mini bar(it is well sacked with chocolates,energy munch,Power Munch,biscuits,Potato snacks,beer,soft drink cans(3 flavours)bottled drinking water etc.

Toilet Blocked issues-There was no compliant intimation from you during your stay (27.8.2013 to 28.8.2013)at the Engineering Department (all calls are logged along with the work undertaken timings)Think you did not inform them .
My apologies to you ,if we have let you down.Hope the above facts shows our interest in solving each guest issues(because this is service industry,mistakes have to be corrected)and that we keep a track of things.
Hope the above is appropriate,we are not justifying our side(that never helps)

Have a nice Day!!

Regards,

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed with my family in this hotel yesterday ( 19.08.2013).

We were three adults and we had booked through a travel website and prepaid the full amount in advance. We were told that through the website that we had been allotted a spacious club room.

We were for a shock when we were provided a standard room with very limited space and a single bed. In that small room, the hotel staff were trying to squeeze in another bed which we declined.

The receptionist who settled our bills in the morning was very impolite ( Arun John Mathew) . He is inefficient and also does not know how to talk to a hotel guest.

The charges for food and airport transportation is exorbitant.

Overall the experience was far from satisfactory and we were all looking forward for the check out time.

Quality of service is pathetic.

I would never stay again in this hotel and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Jayakar
Bangalore

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jay6519
gmmaurya, General Manager at Maurya Rajadhani, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Mr.Jayakar,
Greetings!!
Thankyou for your feed back.
I have checked all details regarding your booking.You have booked the base catagory of rooms (Club room) ,ment for double occupancy,which can also accommodate a third person if required(it meets all size and quality specifications for double occupancy,as laid down by the department of tourism for govt of India for 4 star hotels)
We also understand that you have booked through an online travel company(19th In 20th out).
and booked the base catagory room.The arrival day being a Monday(week days occupancy is very high) we were not able to upgrade you to a higher catagory room.

There is also a reference in your feed back regarding the high cost of food(presently we are providing a 07 non veg and 06 veg dish menu with plenty of live cooking of dishes@Rs.325+taxes and dinner buffet with dry dishes and variety of dosas and live music and live counter @Rs.400+taxes along with all veg and non veg dishes.(This is very reasonable compared to the industry standards for 4 star hotels in our city )

Since your booking was done on a room only plan (E.P)we were not able to provide you complimentary breakfast,and might have charged for the same if consumed by you.
You may not be aware of the the very high market prices(due to inflation and other factors)and Kerala being a consumer state depends on neighbouring states for supply of raw materials.
We will also be forced to increase the price due to the steep increase in prices .

You may have your views and i do not want to hurt you, nor am I contesting your views. I am trying my best to bring to your notice about the real facts on the incident as per my investigation on your views.
May I aslo apologise to you on behalf of Mr.Arun John,the G.R.A ( who attended to you).He will be called in to meet the Front Office Manager and the compliant will be investigated and corrective actions will be taken as required.

I hope my clarifiaction on your feedback is sufficient.Please do not hestitate to contact me if required . I can be contacted at gmmaurya@rajadhanihotels.com.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Maurya was my introduction to Indian accommodation. I picked this for location, professionalism in service, hygiene, and value. It met all these expectations. Ambience wise, it feels like a much larger business hotel in Japan. TV Channels could use some CNN or BBC so I think it was designed for Indian businessmen. But with tourists like me flocking due to quality of housekeeping, valet, and staff- they might want to add some western tv channels. Restaurant on rooftop was excellent with very amiable and relaxed Kerala hospitality and service. Reception and VJ Kumar were sweet and attentive. The best part is the location as I walked everywhere to sweat out that delicious Kerala cuisine. Highlight of visit was Kutiyattam and kathakali ancient Hindi theatre behind Fort High School and the Trivandrum zoo and museums with the giant tigers. This is also the best place to shop as small boutiques have one price for local and tourist. The only other suggestion is to fix the water heater as it never came on when I did it by myself. Housekeeping seemed to have the magic touch and resolved it each time I asked. My four nights here will forever be memorable.

(If it's any help, let me share a second review written at the end of my Indian trip.)

Maurya initiated me on my first trip to India. Immediately it did remind me of the budget business hotels in Japan but of course slightly larger. Decor is basic. Bed and linen are satisfactory. I did wonder why I could never get the water hot enough on my own but housekeeping could. My room was windowless and faced the staff hallway I think as I could hear them. What I appreciate the most was housekeping's cleanliness. I ended up staying for 4 nights. I believe this is the most professional hotel within vicinity of secretariat and market. It's 2 kilometers of all sights I needed to see like Margi Theatre, where I was lucky enough to watch classical Indian theatre Kuttiyatam. Restaurant is sufficient. I did buffet once. At 200R it's a steal, with all the masala milk tea you want. When I didn't have buffet but ala carte, they gave me all the tea I wanted still. Resto crew are always smiling and very hospitable. Front desk are just as warm but could know more tourist friendly information. I'm sure now they can refer people to the Margi Theatre by the Fort High School. I took a map and a whole day to find it on foot. Special note regarding valet VJ Kumar, who is like the floor captain. Front desk changes but he's always there to help. Trivandrum is no Mumbai, so given the local average, Maurya is the place to be in TRV. I would stay there again, ESP because I did take the time to look at The other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013
gmmaurya, General Manager at Maurya Rajadhani, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back.
We are delighted to know that you had a good stay with us and appreciate our services and staff support experienced by you.
'Team Maurya', looks forward to have you back with us during your next visit to Trivandrum.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I booked this hotel, after reading very good reviews about it, but I was left disappointed and asking for more. Here I list down a few of my experiences

Merits:
1) After an exhausting day, when I returned, I was pleasantly surprised by a very clean room, and a rose petal and toffee in the bed. Made me feel good
2) The top floor restaurant with a good view and cool breeze
3) Decent food

Demerits:
1) Perhaps I got the worst room (107). When I opened the window, it opened to their office. which is disgusting for a hotel to have a office room attached to window. Which means I could not open the window
2) No sunlight in the room. For a sunlight person like me, it sucks.
3) No complimentary water...they even charge for mineral water...Have never seen any hotel do that. At least one bottle each day is always given complimentary
4) U have to keep carrying coupons for breakfast, which they provide with the newspaper. Its extra worry, I guess if the restaurant people have the list and they just ask the room no, it should be fine.

Room Tip: Never take rooms in the first floor, especially, 106, 107 and 108
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
gmmaurya, General Manager at Maurya Rajadhani, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Mr.Manoj,
Thank you for your feed back.It is good to see the merits of your views and we will try our best to overcome demerits.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We arrived here for a week-long stay in Trivandrum. While we were pleased with the lobby and the exterior of the hotel, the rooms leave much to be desired. The bathrooms look like they have not been renovated since the 1950s and are not clean. My sister had to change rooms twice because of the bathrooms, once, because the tub was too dirty and another time, because the shower handle fell off.

Service is also lacking. Staff, while eager, do not have a solid grasp of English and many requests are not understood. Simple requests take far too long to fill (I had to wait 30 minutes for an iron that never came). Wi-Fi Internet is a joke-you have to stand directly underneath the Wi-Fi in order for it to work. Management appears not to have invested in modern routers that can send Wi-Fi signals farther than 10 feet.

Room Tip: Find a room that's close to a router if you want to have Internet access without leaving your ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
gmmaurya, General Manager at Maurya Rajadhani, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Mr.Shane Antony,
Thank you for your review,My sincere apologies if you feel we let you down.
We indeed had a problem with the wi fi reception which is now rectified(routers replaced)However after your complaint reached us ,you were upgraded(free of cost) to suite rooms which was recently refurbished.(deff not the 1950 's stuff as mentioned in the mail)although you had a booking for club rooms because of this issue you were upgraded FOC.
It is an fact that some of the staff in house keeping department found it a bit difficult to understand your slang(American English) and that delayed services,however they are qualified and trained in doing their work well (they are also technically certified)please do not state that all the staff cannot communicate/understand you.(This will send a wrong message to our prospective clients who may think people do not talk in english here)

I personally talked to your sister at the reception(at the time of check out), asked her about how her stay was and how her sick mom's health was?.She informed to me that she had a good stay and that her mom is better now.However your comments about the short comings will be looked into and all corrective steps will be taken as required.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Smooth check-in, excellent staff, good location, recommended for city short breaks. Only one bad experience, I was on 4th floor, at midnight there was noise on top floor, dragging furnitures, which was stopped after complaining twice, else all well.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anwar S
gmmaurya, General Manager at Maurya Rajadhani, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to know that our hotel was acceptable to you.
Team Maurya looks forward to have you back with us during your next visit to Tvpm.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Hotel is located on a one-way, narrow street, off the main artery of the city--the MG Road. The turn-off to the street is at the Statue Junction- a major bus stop, located bang opposite the secretariat. The experience one gets is akin to being treated like royalty right from the point where the Valet Parking took over the vehicle, and the experience continued through the two day stay with Room Service, In-House Restaurant, front office and House Keeping. A roof-top restaurant provides the much needed lung-full of the open air though it could have been a little less stuffed with over-sized furniture. Other than a few minor points -which were addressed by the GM and promptly acknowledged--we found the Hotel staff to be on their toes, thoroughly trained to attend to guest requirement in the most naturally warm and non-transactional manner.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
It is nice to know that our services and facilities are acceptable to you . We look forward to have you back with us during your next visit to Tvpm.